Bulletins & Advisories Warranty Extension : Sunroof Frame Corroded (2009 YM only)

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Service News, Thursday 15th Jan, 2015.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    This has been a problem for Accords in both variants for some time as pointed out in this thread Body, Paint & Styling - Rust on the Sunroof way back in 2012. Honda have addressed the issues by announcing the following warranty extension for the below affected Accords.TSB #SO-08-011-00UK dated 15-01-2015 for all Accord in Saloon and Tourer variant for MY09 models

Affected MY09 models are CU1, CU2, CU3, CW1, CW2 & CW3

How to check your car is MY09 VIN check Your Accord's Model Year of Production

Symptom

Corrosion was found on sunroof glass frame.

Cause

An insufficient amount of the glass bond had been applied at the sunroof glass assembling process, resulting in a gap. The resulting gap allowed salt water to corrode the sunroof frame .

Countermeasure
    The number of slits at the sunroof glass seal was reduced and the bond application amount was increased to improve the adhesiveness of the glass seal to prevent water intrusion.

Affected VIN Range
    JHMCW1***9C200075 - JHMCW1***9C204588
    JHMCW2***9C200020 - JHMCW2***9C202152
    JHMCW3***9C200033 - JHMCW3***9C232148
    JHMCU1***9C200056 - JHMCU1***9C223653
    JHMCU2***9C200059 - JHMCU2***9C235115
    JHMCU3***9C200077 - JHMCU3***9C231843

Market Treatment
    Customer complaint only, replace the GLASS ASSY.,ROOF with a new one.

Repair Method
    Replace according to the Shop Manual.

Parts Information
    70200-TL0-G21 GLASS ASSY.,ROOF
    *No change in part number.

Warranty Information
    Application : Warranty extension 3+4 = 7 years total, no mileage limitation

John Dickson likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Proof that Honda never leave you high and dry or even wet and rusty for that matter ! :clap:

Last edited: Friday 16th Jan, 2015
    John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  3. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This sounds like good news. Am I correct in thinking that if I complain about rust on the affected area the glass will be replaced free of charge?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    is your a MY09 mate. If it is then get in to the dealers they will change that FOC .

5. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have checked my VIN number against the list above and mine is included. A trip to the dealer required I think.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get down mate, no time to waste get it fixed.

7. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If the sunroof was replaced a few years ago, would it have been replaced with the latest type? ie a sunroof with the correct amount of glass bond? Mine was replaced in 2012, by the supplying dealer after I had read about the rust thread on this site. Am concerned that my rusty sunroof was replaced with a sunroof that may rust over time?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is a good question really! I don't know if the vendor made the changes then.

9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can safely say that my at least was changed with same sunroof and not the latest type.
    I asked same question when my was installed.
    Will the rust occur again and was told that there is no guarantee it won't and to clean it as much as possible to prevent it.

10. joiner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

angus
    Replaced mine last year after much debating with customer relations but as you all would have seen I had no luck and had to pay up and now I read this!!. I am away to check vins as mine is also an 09 plate and if it is Honda customer relations better be prepared for the abuse they are going to receive. What do you lot think would be the chance of Honda refunding me?, I run a buisness myself albeit joinery but you would think for customer relations this would not be a problem. I will go and check and let you all know how I get on.

11. joiner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

angus
    Well, pleased to say Honda today have informed me that they will repay me in full, glad to see Honda have finally accepted that there was a fault with the part. It is just a shame it had to go a far as it did because the attitude of my local dealer West End Honda was absolutely crap, couldn't care less about the problem, didn't even attempt to fight it on my behalf, full service history, sold the car from new and all corrosion stamps done by them and not a bit bothered about customers satisfaction. I can safely say I only now use them out of sheer desperation and even source my parts online now and believe it or not it's cheaper. The lad behind the service counter who purchased my CL7 before it reached the forecourt couldn't believe all my receipts in the folder were for other Honda dealers for parts considering there my local, kind of sums it up really. So to sum it up, Honda good, cars great, dealers (some) absolutely rubbish.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Scotland unfortunately have one of the worst track record of customer services from franchised Honda dealers so I feel your pain. Glad your issues is sorted bud.

13. justinnoon New Member Getting Started

My car is in the bin range and have a rusty sunroof. I live in Scotland and took my car along to the Honda dealer on Wednesday. They've taken photos and are sending them to Honda.

They said I should know the outcome in a couple of weeks.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Has anyone else been successful with their dealers?

14. chickyb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Fife
    I've just recently acquired an Accord which is in the VIN range mentioned above, noticed the corrosion while giving the car a good polish. Nearest dealer is Phoenix Honda in Stirling and when I called them yesterday about the Service Bulletin they denied all knowledge of issues with corrosion on the MY09 Accord. Its booked in for them to have a look in a few weeks and think they are going to take photo's etc and pass them on to Honda. I even offered to give the the TSB Reference and they were not interested.

15. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had the same problem. It wasn't till I showed the a copy of the TSB that they decided to look at the sun roof. They photographed it and, after contacting Honda, told me a new sun roof was on order. It took two months to arrive but it's fitted now and all free of charge under the 3+4 year extended warranty for this issue.Result.

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@chickyb, please drop over to Introduce Yourself so we can know a little about you.

As for the TSB, it exists and therefore the dealer must carry out the work for you. After all, Honda will pay them.
    Keep us posted.

17. chickyb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Fife
    Thanks for the replies. Spoke to Honda Customer Service who confirmed the TSB and also that they were going to get in touch with the dealership concerned about it. Would HCS give a copy of the TSB to customers if they requested them or are they for dealerships only. If that is the case does anyone have a copy I could use when I go to the dealer?

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You just need the TSB number. I believe that the dealer can access it through their computers.

19. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The TSB is as follows:- TSB#SO-08-011-00UK. Dated15-01-2015 for all Accord in saloon and tourer variant for MY09 models.

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I just said that. :Whistle: