Introductions Was looking at Stepwgns but now Spikes

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by JayG, Sunday 3rd Apr, 2016.

1. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom JayG London
    Hello all. Jay here.

I live in East London and haven't owned a car for 10 years. I've decided that I want one and was originally looking at Stepwgns until I got the insurance quotes back. Having not had a car for so long means 0 no claims.

Since discovering the Spike, and how neat they look in the Mugen kit, this is what I'm now aiming for.

I need something like this because of my band gear (I'm a bassist) but I've always been attracted to driving things that aren't common. My last car was a 71 VW Karmann Ghia coupe which I imported from California.

I've owned a variety of vehicles but never an automatic so that will take some getting used to.

Anyhow, if you want to know more just ask.

Cheers n beers

Jay

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello Jay and welcome to HK.
    We had another member join a couple of days ago and he too is looking to get a Mobilio Spike. Seems like they are getting popular by the hour. Lol

Have a read through his thread if you want to know what has already been discussed.
    Cheers

JayG likes this.
  3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:Karma
    Now that you are an active member please note that you are eligible to vote for the Honda of the Month and other awards to members

JayG likes this.
  4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Hi @JayG it's a great forum here very helpful, glad to see you wandered here from the StepWGN FB page. I think you'll be happy with the Mobilio Spike. They really are a great versatile little van.

The CVT is a different type of automatic all together very efficient and smooth but definitely not for rally driving or fast off the line starts, basically throw out all you know about gears as it doesn't have any but instead works on a constantly varying ratio between pulleys. Have a look Honda Worldwide | Technology Picture Book | CVT Key thing is to keep the CVT Fluid changed on or before schedule with Honda only CVT fluid, and they'll last for a good long time. The rest of the service parts are easy to find - there have been a few threads here on the Mobilio and Mobilio Spike where much has been discussed. Only real concern with parts are struts/shocks/springs and if broken glass and body panels, you can get them from Japan but time and cost will be greater.

JayG likes this.
  5. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I had read the other post in the Introductions but it seems my reply didn't post. It was late though, and wine was involved :Wink:

I think my days off thrashing around the streets and fast off-the-line starts are mostly behind me so a more genteel drive is probably for the best.

Thanks again guys. I look forward to learning more and joining in.

MickyB likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @JayG :Hey:
    Good luck with the hunt for your Mobilo Spike.

JayG likes this.
  7. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers @Nels!

8. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Happy to report that my first quote is a couple hundred lower for the Spike than the Steppy :Happy:

9. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    No doubt, although hard to compare insurance across countries the jump up from the Mobilio to StepWgn was about 300euro for me. It seems the main issue is 8 seats here, most companies won't even quote on an 8 seat bus even if they do deal in Jap imports. Still in saying that the StepWgn is worth every bit in space, gizmos, and comfort, but I have a large family. As the kids grew the Mobilio was just getting too tight for all of us to take extended trips in. I've easily saved the difference on the insurance in kennel fees on the dogs alone. There just wasn't enough room for everything that needed to travel.

JayG likes this.
  10. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The number of seats could well be part of the insurance issue. I've still got my eye on the Stepwagon for all the reasons you've mentioned (except the kids bit) but am sure I'll enjoy the Spike :jock:

11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @JayG :welcome:

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with!

:goodluck:

JayG likes this.
  12. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you!

I've made contact with someone who was recommended to me as a trustworthy importer so will most likely be using him instead of risking Fleabay or similar after hearing some horror stories.

To say that I am quite excited is an understatement!

:jumpy:

13. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    Welcome jay
    You'll feel right at home here :Wink:

JayG likes this.
  14. JayG Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @RobsyUK!