Detailing Wash Mitts

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by DC5Cassie, Tuesday 13th Oct, 2015.

1. DC5Cassie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Cassie Northamptonshire
    Hi all

After purchasing endless GYEOM Q2M woolies and them falling apart, I finally got fed up and decided to try something else.

I'm now using a Microfiber Madness Incredimitt which I absolutely recommend.

Initially I was dubious as this mitt isn't half as thick as the Q2M but I really wasn't disappointed with the power of it. Very good quality and has been through my washing machine (detergent only, no softener) a few times now and is showing no signs of faultering. Also, it holds quite a lot of suds from the bucket so keeps lubricated really well.

Anyway, I hope this helps any detailing enthusiasts out there. For me, a good wash mitt is as important as any other process in looking after your paint. If you're using a sponge to clean you really don't like your car very much!

What is everyone else using?

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm using a 'Wookie's Fist' (main bodywork) and a 'Yeti's Fist' (lower bodywork).

I find them very good, and long lasting when rinsed and dried properly - and then combed through. :Laughing:

I also use a Megs mitt (the white man - made one) for my wheels, and that is indestructible, it must be 10 years old...:Thumbup:

The most ridiculous - but excellent - bit of kit I have is the plastic 'grit guard' for the bottom of my main wash bucket!

John Dickson and DC5Cassie like this.
  3. DC5Cassie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Grit guards are a must!

It is amazing how many people I see still using sponges and chamois leathers. Like my neighbour for example. He always makes a comment that I'm out for hours on end washing my car, and then one day I stood and watched him use one bucket, a sponge, and a chamois. To be honest, it was probably washing up liquid in his bucket! I had to restrain myself from going over and telling him he was doing it wrong.

I like to have a collection of everything in my shed .... will look at Wookie's Fist and Yeti's Fist :Niceone:

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've got a Halfords microfibre wash mit. Can't kill it to be honest it's indestructible.

It's been washed I don't know how many times and must be 2 -3 years old and looks nearly as good as the new unused spare one I have.

Only thing with it is some of the fibre bobbles look slightly dirty and won't clean up fully but it's still soft and doesn't scratch.

I always hose the car down fully to wash grit off - people think I'm daft and say it makes it harder to see if you've missed a bit because the dirt is wet but as long as your methodical working top to bottom you won't miss any bits. (people also think I'm mad for washing in the door shuts and cleaning the door seams and drain holes)

I always rinse my wash bucket out before I use it as well.

Sorry diverting off topic slightly here but just for comparison of people's different methods.

It's getting to the time of year now that I won't wash the car as much. It's almost pointless trying to keep white spotless in the winter so car washing drops down to once every month to 6 weeks now.

But what I do for the winter is hose the wheel arches out every week or fortnight (at the most) just with the normal Hoselock spray attachment as it's the most manoeuvrable to get in the wheel arches I find. It's surprising the amount of crud that builds up on the lip inside of the rear wheel arches! (Why the 8th Generation Accord doesn't have plastic lined rear arched like the 7th I'm not sure as it prevented debris building up on that lip)

I also pressure wash the body work twice and use my Karcher chassis cleaner underneath. Pressure wash once, hose wheel arches out, chassis clean, pressure wash again and use the Karcher wheel brush on the wheels.

I also empty a bucket of clean water over each wheel and brakes and discs to get the salt off. Just got to remember that braking isn't too good when you first set off so need to get a bit heat into the brakes and I always do this if it's going to be frosty rather than leave the car standing over night with wet brakes.

A light covering of road grime isn't that harmful but salt, mud and silt accumulation is as it stays wet 24/7 especially at this time of year.

Last edited: Tuesday 13th Oct, 2015
    FirstHonda and SpeedyGee like this.
  5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

He might as well use brine instead of water the amount of salt in some washing up liquids. :lol:

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I knew somebody who 'cleaned' the front of his bonnet with a brillo pad to get rid of dried on flies.

I wish I was making it up...I wish! It was a relatively new car as well.

:dunce:

^^ I just use my normal hose (also with a Hozelock attachment) as we don't (usually) get that much road salt put down around here.

John Dickson likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I suppose it would certainly get rid of the flies.... ;-)

8. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi to you all.
    I must confess to cleaning my cars all wrong for many many years-according to you all. Sponge, chamois etc. Having been enlightened I will be looking to use all the tips contained on here to pamper Dee my 8th Generation Accord, so looking for mitts, shampoos, wax etc. etc. the list can go on. not sure on a pressure washer as the mains here is rather good. On my 4th Generation accord there was a protector strip around the rear arches which helped keep the rear clean.

9. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Carpro merino mitt for me

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Do you have any the links for these please?

11. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Ichiban and Nels like this.
  12. DC5Cassie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nels and AndyB1976 like this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

DC5Cassie and wanner69 like this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Nels likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    wanner69 likes this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Great minds @Ichiban, great minds...:Smile:

...I've just been looking at that one on Elite Car Care as well @wanner69 , and was thinking about giving it a go.

:Thumbup:

wanner69 likes this.
  17. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Its very good indeed, had mine around 18 months and its still going strong

Ichiban and FirstHonda like this.
  18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

John Dickson, SpeedyGee and wanner69 like this.