Body, Paint & Styling Water in boot- any ideas?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Simes, Thursday 9th Jan, 2014.

1. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have got about 2" of water in my spare wheel well in the boot, but have no idea where it could be coming from, anybody got any bright ideas?

I've searched high and low for something obvious, and thought I had it cracked when I found the boot latch loose, leaving a large shut line. However, this has made no difference.

Seems to be coming from above, as the carpet is damp.

Cheers, Simon.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What's the condition of the seals ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    missing or perished floor pan rubber bungs in the spare well area?

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I remember someone mentioning water getting into the boot via a rear light cluster. I guess you could pull the boot lining back, there are one or two little securing pegs from what I recall, just press them out and pull the lining back and see if there is anything obvious around either of the rear lights.

Simes likes this.
  5. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    This may sound strange but depending on when you last checked your boot floor can be caused by condensation, this will have to be built up over a period of time.
    Otherwise it could be any of these;
    When boot open, channel running around the top of the bodywork is full of rubbish. (where I live you get seeds from the Ash and Sycamore trees)
    Boot rubber seal perished.
    Any rust holes or the start of.
    One of the ways to find out, it does take a bit time though and is handy if you have help.
    Is to remove everything from your boot, dry it out completely.
    Then apply talcum powder or something similar to all of the the seals and using either a hose pipe or a watering can pour on the water, don't throw the water on, have it as a sprinkle.
    I do wish you luck as I know from experience it's a pain.

Simes likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I've read about the light cluster rubber seals as Andy mentioned, also make sure the drain plus aren't blocked. There is one also on the boot under the spare wheel area.

7. Simes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies guys.

Seals seem fine, all bungs in place, no leaves in sight.

The light cluster idea seems favourite, so along with the talc idea seems the way forward.

Off skiing for a week, so will attack it when I get back.

Thanks for the input.

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    You might come to find a swimming pool in your boot :Tongue:

9. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    Have a good time skiing and of course the apres.....lol

10. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I had the same problem with a 1999 accord saloon. Fortunatelly I sold it , but the problem with it was the rubber rear glass gasket. that is where the water was coming in.

ALSO , please be aware that water will also come in via the stoplights rubber gasket. this is an easy fix with rubber silicone around the gasket.