Electrical & Lights "water in fuel filter" lamp NOT coming on at "bulb check" key turn ?!

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by toffyapple, Tuesday 14th Jun, 2016.

1. toffyapple Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom toffy basingstoke
    hello all lovely CR-V owners.

slightly perplexing issue with our 2007 2.2 CDTI CR-V -am hoping someone may have an idea what is going on here..

when turning key to point 2 (?), where all the check lamps come on briefly, then most go out, and you start the car, the above lamp, for "water in fuel filter", DOESN'T come on, every time you start the car. if it does not light up, you can't start the car. it cranks, but won't start, you have to flick key back to previous (removal) point, and try again. sometimes we have to do so this 5 times, sometimes, 28 times, sometimes not at all, in order to get this warning lamp to light up, then we know the car will start.
    - once started, and running, no lamps display, and the car runs perfectly, with no problems, or warning lights.
    it's only an issue at the "check" stage.
    we are having the diesel filter replaced tomorrow, but, i'm not convinced this is the fault, as it seems to be more of a sensor issue somewhere rather than actual water in the filter.

next step, according to the Honda stealer is replace the fuel rail...at £1200 + labour....hmm..
    any opinion or advice gratefully received !

many thanks

toffy

water in fuel filter lamp.JPG

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi would replace the fuel filter with a brand new Honda's genuine filter and take it from there. Here is a guide not for your car but an idea how its done and where the water sensor is. Fuel Filter Change (Facelift Diesel)

If you take it apart and you find water you know then what the issue was.

3. toffyapple Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

great, thanks for that. yep, we have the genuine honda part and it's being changed tomorrow.
    cheers

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keep us posted hopefully its a simple fix. Please do add an avatar on your profile and please add your car to the garage.

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    He he ......... Stealers at it again.......

6. toffyapple Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok- update - not the diesel fuel filter. changed yesterday and no difference.
    ...when turning the ignition to the lamp check stage, Plugging in a code reader gives the code P0602 which cannot be erased but then when the car decides to work there are no fault codes showing. (0602 = ECM programme error) - is this an arm and a leg from main dealer only to re-program it? - maybe a SW update if I am lucky??

thanks!

7. toffyapple Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Where the heck is the ECU on a 2007 CR-V ?!

Trying to locate it and get the serial number

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Do not let the dealer replace the fuel rail assembly... The 'fuel rail' itself is simply a hollow tube with high pressure pipe joints and mounting holes for an over-pressure relief valve and a pressure sensor. Problem is, Honda only sell it as a complete assembly for a ridiculously high price, even though Bosch do make and supply the OEM valve and sensor which, unless the rail has somehow become physically damaged, are the only things likely to fail (and are each quite cheap). But I can't imagine this is a fuel rail assembly problem, I'm guessing it's an ECU problem.

9. toffyapple Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks zebster. yes, I think much more likely actually the ECU. i'm now trying to FIND it so i can get the serial number, in case these chaps can help The ECU Doctor