General water in the boot

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by pastore, Thursday 12th Nov, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    i dropped my grandma to asda today and whilst waiting in car park i noticed that I've got water in my boot when i lifted the cover, anyone had this problem before?

20151112_094230.

20151112_094238.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @RogerH69 was it yourself that had a problem like this ?

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Does this only happen after your Grandma has been in the car?

Busa1340r, PeteMM, vincemince and 3 others like this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Duc de Pommfrit and legend-ary like this.
  5. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    OMG PMSL

instead of flushing your engine it would appear you do need to flush your boot:happycrying:

no seriously it looks like your models got the rare after market optional extra .....a biult in paddlling pool :jumpy:

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I did have a water leak in my boot before, also a 7th Generation Civic, but it was very minor. in my case, it turned out to be some missing / perished seals under the spoiler (seals around the plastic clips that clipped onto the tailgate), as well as some rust around the hole in the tailgate that the water jet for the tailgate goes through. I solved the latter with some silicone sealant, and replaces the seals around the clips on the spoiler. in my case, I only noticed water on the inside of the tailgate itself, so there wan't much ingress, and definitely not enough to make it to the wheel well.

The way that I tracked down where my water was coming in was to remove all the interior trim from the tailgate, dry everything, and then took to the car with a power washer. I then popped inside and looked for where I first saw the water coming down the window, and traced the water train back to the point of ingress.

Best place to start is to see if any of the carpeting in the boot is wet, as that may indicate where water is coming in.

Zebster likes this.
  7. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

theres no water on the carpet

RogerH69 likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Shut yourself in the rear with a torch. Get someone to spray a hosepipe around all seals and fittings... Any ingress should be obvious. Not all that different to what Roger said, really...

Has a drain bung been removed and left out from the spare wheel well?

Could the spare wheel have been replaced while wet?

RogerH69 and Ichiban like this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    An ideal accessory to use in the boot.

upload_2015-11-13_12-31-31.

10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    If there's no obvious water on the carpet, then it could be that the water is coming in somewhere in the wheel well itself. Onceagain, get the water out, dry and clean the wheel well, and then spray the bottom of the car liberally (from all angles) and see if water comes in. As Seb suggestes, if you actually sit in the boot, while someone else sprays, it may be easier to see the water coming in. Also checxk all seals are sealing properly over the entire length of the seal. in theory, if the door seal on the tailgate is not sealing, water may be able to come in, and flow down behind the interior plastic trim on the rear of the boot (see area indicated by circle in image below)
    94151_20151112_094230.

I just had a thought... You had reversing sensors fitted after buying the car right? Maybe check where the installer fed the wires from the sensors into the car, as they may not have sealed the hole properly after feeding the wires through.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I just had another look at he images you sent, and on the one image, it looks like the cardboard under the carpet is wet (circled below). it looks as if the sound proofing under the carpeting and cardboard may be wet, which has soaked into the cardboard.

If so, this may indicate that water is coming in from the left side of the boot somewhow. once again, maybe where the installer of your reversing sensors fed the wires through.
    94151_20151112_094230 (1).

legend-ary, FirstHonda and Zebster like this.
  11. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

already got one

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

don't think so
    - - - Updated - - -
    the parking sensors came with the car but they went working, some local mechanic fixed them though.

if its from the left hand side i have a little gap in the bumper on that side so it might be that, but i will get in with a torch anyway

14. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Try Waitrose and see if their water is sparkling

chris2982 and HondaHeritage like this.
  15. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Das Boot :Messed:

FirstHonda likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Polish

17. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Could you have been through a deep puddle?
    AQUA2.JPG

Nels, RogerH69, Zebster and 2 others like this.
  18. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

im gonna ask around to see if any mechanics can sort it out, i don't have access to a water hose to do it myself, how much would you say is reasonable to pay? don't wanna get ripped off

19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke