General Water puddle under rear of the engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barry, Sunday 28th Oct, 2012.

1. barry Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hadn't had the accord long, then noticed a quite large puddle of water with a trail on the drive.
    Thought I had a leaking pipe or damaged Radiator, but apparently after phoning Honda the AirCon system has a condensation overflow at that point, and nothing to worry about. :Blink:
    But I did worry to the extent of rubbing the liquid between my fingers 'No it's Not Oil'....It's 'not Brake fluid'
    sticking my nose to the ground 'No it's not Fuel'.
    motors been ok for two months so they must be right.:Blushing:
  2. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats what I would have said ,air con drain. your A/C not only cools the interior but dehumidifies it by taking the moisture out of the cabin air ,this is why It helps to leave the A/C on even in winter so to dry out the car,for example when you get in with a wet coat the glass condensers and steams the windows so use the A/C and the heater combined .
    The water dropping under the car will dry off and evaporate ,if it was coolant from the rad it won't dry [evaporate] due to the antifreeze content.
  3. barry Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good advice thanks for that.
  4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I noticed this too when I first got the Accord and promptly gave birth to many a brown-baby wondering why my new car was "bleeding" all over the driveway.

As you say, I checked with Honda and they gave me the same explanation and now don't bat an eyelid :Smile:
  5. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Most of the time it will be condensation being let out from the air con. However.. If the water is green/blue, it will be coolant. This can occur if you have an ICTDI that has had a turbo replaced (like I did). There is a coolant pipe going too the turbo, and if that is not clamped correctly or damaged it can leak coolant. Mine did just that... But as it is green it is easy to diagnose. The pipe its tricky to see though.

Always worth having a quick check rather than assuming it is condensation from the aircon.
  6. welsh_decs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leaking under car

My car is leaking just behind the front drivers side wheel about a foot towards the middle of car and noticed its clear water from a rubber pipe pointing down (possible over flow pipe or drain off pipe?) the liquid has no colour or smell could it be from the air conditioning?
  7. ciderman21 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: leaking under car

Hi Welsh,

I'm no expert, but defo sounds like air conditioning to me. Had the same symptoms that you described on every car i've ever had. Nothing to worry about.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On an old Citroen C4 of mine the pipe would block with road debris. That caused the pipe to discharge internally. I only noticed when the entire interior of the car had about 2 inch of water in it. It was a 5 second job to unblock and a two hour job with a wet and dry vacuum sucking water out. Have I ever said I hate the French!
  10. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    haha I think everyone has been through that! I was in Ireland not long after I got my Accord and I noticed a large puddle under the car, you can imagine what I was thinking! Text my mate who knows about these things and he just said it's the dehumid dumping the excess water.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I had a company Mazda 6 few years back when the summers were much better.

People use to point out the water under the car and say I had a leak LOL.

It did use to generate a lot of water mind
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    where do German cars leak their water from aircon unit?
  13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My BMW Mini does exactly the same as the Accord. As did my previous VW Tiguan.
  14. liamgtturbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

water leaking drivers side breather pipe

I've got a drip from what seems to be a breather pipe drivers side near the cat? It drips a bit a bit of water not coolant. Is this normal and what is it exactly? Thanks Liam
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: water leaking drivers side breather pipe

Hi and welcome to AOC moving this thread to an existing one.
  16. liamgtturbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick reply. Glad it's normal :Smile: