Engine & Gearbox Water Pump Reliability?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by G12, Wednesday 19th Dec, 2012.

1. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Just wondering if anyone else has had an early water pump failure on a 2.2 diesel?
    Mine's leaking and going in for replacement under warranty on Friday. The car only has 35k on the clock, 4 years old. Seems way too early for it to require replacing.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is strange and it should not happen. I did have a water pump bearing failure on 2004 Honda Accord tourer and I haven't heard another tourer with the K20a engine with a failed water pump so it was a one off.

Your may be a one off and I won't be overly concerned as there is no data to suggest their is mass scale failures or imminent.

3. IDTEC Special Partner Club Affiliate

Lee Cheshire
    As CJ said, do not worry too much. Honda water pumps are generally bullet proof. As a dealer we have probably only changed 2 in last twelve months for all hondas, maybe even less than that.
    I would say you have been unlucky its leaked but atleast its in warranty.

4. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Thanks guys, just thought I'd ask incase it was a known weak spot.
    I've no idea how much they are but I'm glad I'm not paying!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Make sure they replace the Coolant with fresh one.you will have to pay for it thou no point stick ing back the old one back in.

6. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    It never even crossed my mind that they'd reuse coolant.... That's like changing a sump gasket and putting the old oil back.
    I will ask for fresh stuff to go back in.

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Ichiban,
    What coolant do you use? I used to use the Honda HAC-E access fluid, but that one does not exist anymore (in black 5-liter package). I do see on the Honda Access website coolant, but it's also OK for motorcycles (!?) and does not specificly mention it's long life. And....that's the reason I reused my coolant. It's anyhow good for 10 years/200k km. But I admit: I would have used new coolant if I would have found original Honda coolant or a known Honda aproved coolant.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi G12 , the machining on the new generation water pumps is so good there is no paper gasket so there is metal to metal contact, However there is a big rubber gasket which come as part of the new water pump which seals the new water pump..

Ask the guys at the dealer to show you the old part and see my rotating my hand you feel resistance you can also see the big rubber gasket.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi mate when I had the 2004 Tourer this problem surfaced out warranty period and the car had cover 48 k (year 2008) miles on it. So the coolant in the car that time was the factory hi-life coolant. When the pump was replaced it was filled up with Genuine Honda coolant.

I think I got the one rotten egg of the lot even the dealers were amazed how badly the bearing was shot.

10. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    The pump was replaced this morning. They said they never reuse coolant so it's all full of fresh stuff now which is good. I didn't get to see the old part I'm afraid, although I did ask if there was any obvious signs of why it failed but the reply was there was a "nick" in it so I presume that was a shaft seal bearing leaking.

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Ichiban,
    I don't have/had any problem at all with my car, so there was no dirt or other contamination in the coolant.
    In 2008, the original Honda Access coolant was still available. I bought 5 liters in 2009. There still is original Honda coolant available (Pro), but it does not mention high life anymore (08CLA-G01-820). When having high life-coolant, Honda states you can't mix it with other coolants.
    I thought you did your own maintenance and repairs and had coolant (high life) with you at home. I don't know it the long life coolant from e.g. Hallfords can be used. Color is different (blue - pink).

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The original factory coolant was never top up as there was no requirement on my car so can't see how a 4 year coolant can be contaminated or affected a bearing.Factory coolants have a shelf life of 7 years thou.

I would put the pump failure purely down to a mechanical wear or a bad one out of thousand.