Body, Paint & Styling Water :-(

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Primarycare, Wednesday 20th Jun, 2012.

1. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Quick question

Do any of you know what I can buy to re seal the film inner seal on my drivers door? Sprung a small water leak, tried duck tape as quick fix |(not worked) going to order a new seal but not sure what to use or where to get the flexi glue type stuff? Not sure what it is some kind of mastic??

Cheers

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keith

There is no need for gluing or sticking bud, the seal has locator tabs which go into the door frame make sure they havent poped out. Once they are seated correctly it will seal perfectly .. trust me I have faced this issue on Helens car. Adjust the three rubber damper a few turn out.

Lubricate the seals with shin-etsu or seal feeder it will make it moist and give it bounce.

Get a picture of this area let me have a look, no need for all of the above you mentioned this is a Honda.:Wink:

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I think this is about sticking the clear film inside the door itself not the rubber seals round the edge of it.

4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

SayamaAccord is spot on it is the clear inner weather seal. Seems to have some sort of tacky/sticky bonding which has lost its bond at the base. No idea what this stuff is so any ideas on what and where to pick some up would be great?

Many thanks

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Got my wires crossed yet again , you can use tiger seal its black in colour but very effective.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've heard of Renault door caulking or boot sealant (Renault Part no. 7701423330) being recommended.

Sorry about that CJ...:Smile:...but these do seem to go sometimes on the Accord which maybe raises a question about the OEM sealant.

I wonder what HH use for this job.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pass guys never had a issue ever on these on all my Honda's. The only reason why it happens is the sheeting is stretched or removed to get inside the door. Adhesive will last a life time provided the sheeting is not removed.

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great thanks will do a search and see where I can pick some up.

:Smile:

Cheers

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  10. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great stuff, got the gun and there is loads of this Tiger stuff on Ebay at these prices it is worth a bash to resael the old one. If it does not work I will get a new seal and try again, perhaps HH could sell me something.

Cheers guys :Smile:

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    you can get the propper adhesive from 3M in rolls. you peel the backing off as you roll it arround the door. ime not exactly sure of the name as yet. ile get back to you

12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers Beefy

Will keep an eye out, I am up at HH at the weekend so will ask them for their thoughts

Thanks everyone..

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    honda reccomends removing all the butyl sealer from the door and replacing with new sealer supplyed by 3M. allso to replace the membrane Manufacture : 3M
    Product name : Butyl seal
    Size: 3.2mm×6.4mm (thickness ×width)

14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    to ensure the door is completely water tight i suggest cleaning the door completly with tar and glue remover stick this tape arround or with tiger seal and fit a brand new membrane 3M 5313 Butyl Strip Sealant 20mm x 10m

Ichiban likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Beefy beats me to it, you can NEVER go wrong with 3M.

16. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Again thanks guys,

I had a quick look again tonight and DEF coming in at the bottom right of the membrane. I had given it a clean and a make do fix with duck tape but with all the rain we have had water is finding it's way through. Wet patch on the floor this morning to. Trip out tomorrow to pick some of this stuff up me thinks.

I will have a phone around and try and find a place that sells it. Plenty of motor factors down here. Good news is the membrane looks fully intact, no holes or damage but you can see where it is not seating any more on the factory glue and there is a water mark on the plastics on the inside of the car where the water has seeped in and run down.

Thank for pointing me in the right direction guys :Smile:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keith did you change the membrane or did you patch it up.