Detailing Wax on, wax off...

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Rob T, Monday 23rd May, 2016.

1. Rob T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Edinburgh
    With pay day looming, I've treated myself to a few wee bits & pieces. Naturally, all delivered to work to avoid the raised eyebrows from the missus :Wink:

Karcher K4 Full Control pressure washer
    Valet Pro pH Neutral snow foam
    Autobrite snow foam lance
    Poorboys Black Hole

I gave Darth Vader a going over with Boora Permaseal straight after picking it up: Boora Permaseal 10 Year PTFE Sealant - Carnauba Wax Shop
    and have used Autoglym Super Resin Polish since, but wondering if I'd be better using wax? Anyone have any recommendations?

Fairly new to this detailing malarky, the old Accord Tourer used to get it's annual wash from Honda when it was serviced.
    Whole different ball game with the Black Edition though. :ninja:

Ichiban likes this.
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Good grief, NEVER ask detailers for recommendations on waxes and products, you'll get loads of contradictory answers based on personal preference. I would suggest looking at Detailing World, but it could (and probably will!) send you insane...:crazyeyes:

Just one example - and there are many...

Best black car compo - Detailing World

The struggle of picking a wax.. - Detailing World

Having said that, it depends on budget.

You'll need a good pre-wax cleanser first - Dodo Lime Prime is good, easy to use and good value - then personally on a dark car I'd then add a specific polish stage (I use Megs professional mirror glaze) and then a wax to finish.

I like the Dodo Juice range of waxes, but there are so many others you really could buy loads if you could. Just ask @wanner69

Have fun - before the OCD gets you. And it will you know. It will...:Whistle:

Rob T and Nighthawk like this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Everyone has their own favourite wax, from some of the basic ranges on the high street to Meguirs and Autoglym, (very good) or the premium types used by @wanner69 (see Wax Fanatic (Detailing - )

Have a look through @FirstHonda's threads too. e.g. New car, new products... (Detailing - )
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh, one last thing, from an owner with two black cars, you will either end up not bothering, or go completely OCD'd like me, and @Nighthawk and @Duc de Pommfrit ...

Nighthawk's CTDi
    Accord Type-S
    My 4th Accord - CU1
    - - - Updated - - -
    When you've finished, please post some pictures on this thread :Wink:
    Let's See Those Beads (Detailing - )

Rob T and FirstHonda like this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I should add that I have a big delivery coming on Thursday - my first for a while - from Elite.

Bouncers Done & Dusted QD which gets rave reviews on DW, some more Bilt-Hamber auto wash and Auto wheel, two different pots of Dodo Wax, one hard and one soft (both specifically for white or light coloured cars), some Iron-X...can't remember what else off the top of my head, but it will be a BIG box!

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sure does :Sobbing: :Sobbing: :Sobbing:

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like you, I have a black CR-V.

My two favourites for it are Poorboys Black Hole, the Autoglym HD Wax. If applied properly, the HD Wax will bead for almost 8 months straight.

I know everyone will have their own preference, but I am only talking with respect to the fact we have the same colour car which should help influence your choice/wallet.

Rob T and Nighthawk like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Ooops, should have highlighted your CR-V too @TheDarkKnight It is one of the best detailed black CR-V's :sorry:

Rob T likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @TheDarkKnight - I too use Poorboys Black Hole and Autoglym HD wax - fantastic products. Use a DA polisher to put the black hole on the car

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

...and of course, do you like a very 'wet' look, or a more clinical 'sharp' finish, or a 'warmer' look? Your preference will influence your choice and satisfaction.

I tried AutoGlym HD wax a few years ago when it first came out. I wasn't impressed and gave it away to my nephew...I don't think he's even cleaned his car yet!

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

I think different polishes definetely work better with different coloured paints. The AG Wax seems to bring out dark colours nicely.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

image. And while we're on the subject, actually the preparation is more important than the LSP.

^^ Agree with that @Nighthawk

I should use sealant on white but I've never really been a huge fan. Durable, but too clinical in look for me.

Nothing has ever beaten the Swissvax products I use on my MINI, but the BoS is over £200 a pot so it should be pretty good...:Laughing:

12. Nighthawk Guest

For £200, I would hope it is good :Laughing:

13. musicman580 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ian Perth
    Hi folks Following on from what has been said re the "Black Edition" which I have!
    I have put on X1 Two Part, Permaseal 10 yr, followed by Poorboys Black Hole backed up with Poorboys Natty Paste. You could say I am "building it up"
    Whether or not this is correct or not, Im sure someone will let me know! In as far as the OCD taking over that is very true! :help:
    I am also waiting to apply "Perl" which I have ordered from Euro Car Parts !
    Once I have done this I will post more pics !
    PS - All this is done by HAND !!:Bye:
    Happy Cleaning !!
    Ian

14. Rob T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

**blushing smiley as he realises the utter newbie-ness of the original question**
    Kinda like asking what the best flavour of crisps is I guess? :Grin:
    Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. I'll have a wee experiment & let you know how I get on :salute:
    I have to try to balance the spiral into OCD with the fact that this is my daily run around, and is also used to transport 2 young kids & a golden retriever. :cleaning:

Nighthawk and FirstHonda like this.
  15. musicman580 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ian Perth
    How true this is our regular car which has been used to pull trailers full of rubble, will be used on Friday to pull a caravan, basically all normal stuff !:jumpup:
    And we are talking about getting the cars to pristine showroom PLUS finish - are we real !!
    Of course we are !!:boss:
    Cheers

Rob T and FirstHonda like this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

legend-ary and Rob T like this.
  17. Rob T Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

:Rolf::Rolf::Rolf:

18. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL no worries :Smile:

I'm lazy and still havent acquired a DA polisher. Luckily, BH is very easy to apply. can't say the same for the HD Wax, but my God, when you stand back and admire the finish :Happy:

Rob T likes this.
  19. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've got to get some one day. It's a shame they don't make a smaller trial pack.

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@Nels

Dodo Juice do sample pots of (most of) their waxes for about £6 each. You'll get 5 or 6 full waxes out of each.

They are far superior to AutoGlym HD IMHO - although I accept I've never had a dark coloured car, and as @Nighthawk said, it works well on darker paint.

Plenty of people love it, but it doesn't do anything for me!

Autoglym High Definition Wax - Detailing World