Service & Maintenance Waxoyl??

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by maelstrom, Wednesday 25th Mar, 2015.

1. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Stirling
    Hi,
    I have had my new CR-V for a couple of weeks now. I had a wee peek underneath and there is quite a lot of exposed metal.
    I tend to keep my cars for a long time, and I sold my previous car at 10 years old because it was getting quite rusty underneath.
    What are you thoughts on applying Waxoyl to the exposed metal? And would you do it yourselves with clear waxoyl, or get a centre to apply the black stuff?

Thanks a lot

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Not sure about Waxoyl - I remember pumping it everywhere once on a 1981 Mini HL, and it was a nightmare. And it STILL went rusty...:no:...that WAS Austin/Rover though.

I would hope that most of the structural areas are painted over a textured "underseal" as they are on my Accord, but some pictures would be good (although I'll get my CR-V on Friday so will have a look as well :Smile:).

Personally I'd say it is at least as important to wash the underside regularly in the Winter, when there is salt on the roads - but I wouldn't have thought additional protection could hurt. Better check that Honda wouldn't take a dim view in terms of the anti-corrosion warranty as well.

maelstrom likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Toggerefc, maelstrom and FirstHonda like this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Blimey, the 'photos on that site are seriously impressive :clap:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have seen some landys with that kleentect and they are practically brand new cars its an expensive treatment but worth every penny. if you want the metal worm away from your pride and joy that is the treatment to go for.

Toggerefc and maelstrom like this.
  6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally I use Petra Shultz and then Waxoyl over the top for protection.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I wouldn't put anything on a car within the warranty period however.

7. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all that info guys. There are definitely some parts which are sprayed but have no underseal whatsoever. The problem is that buy the time the car is out of warranty, it will be covered in rust.

8. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@maelstrom whilst I'm not a fan of Karcher, their chassis cleaner is quite good to use.

I've used it every week or at most a fortnight apart over this winter on my Accord and it's kept the underside nice and clean the white bits are still white.

I've never seen the underside of a CR-V but my Accord is mainly all plastic shields so would have expected the CR-V to be the same but perhaps it isn't - I've never seen under one.

Yes nut and bolt heads will still corrode. There is no way you can stop that unless of course you paint each nut and bolt head in turn.

I'll try and remember to get a photo.

It won't clean the wheel arches out however. Best way in my experience is to use a hosepipe with either just your finger over the end or I used the Hoselock spray attachment.

Important to remember to spray water back towards you above the lip inside the rear wheel arches. Why they have this on cars is a mystery to me. It is a crud and salt magnet.
    - - - Updated - - -
    That looks the business.

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok, managed to take a couple of photos at last:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Need Pics::Need Pics::Need Pics::Need Pics::Need Pics::Need Pics:

11. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cannot seem to be able to upload photos, will try again later

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    why not what device are you using?

13. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A windows phone. Will try from iPad in a bit.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Photos:

WP_20150421_19_26_44_Pro. WP_20150421_19_26_48_Pro. WP_20150421_19_26_51_Pro. WP_20150421_19_26_44_Pro.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ok, it worked now.
    - - - Updated - - -
    As you can see there is a lot of exposed metal. It's sprayed but no rubbery underseal. Should I leave it as is or apply some stuff? Cheers

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I wouldn't worry too much, my CR-V is almost seven years old and there's barely any rust under there, just the odd bit of very light surface rust/dust here and there. The Accord (which is 10 years old) is even cleaner! Compared to my Mazda MPS I had it clearly shows Honda use decent materials etc. I would just focus on keeping it clean and the salt off but if you do go don't the Waxoyl route you can buy the cans and spray it on yourself if just doing small areas otherwise I'd either do it through a compressor gun or get a pro to do it because the cans won't give you proper coverage etc (I did my MPS with it and used three cans and could easily have needed another three).

It could make it messy under there for anyone having to work on it.

maelstrom and SpeedyGee like this.
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've had a CR-V as a courtesy vehicle (brand new, 2015 MY) and the application of the under seal was very variable - see photos enclosed.
    IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0034.JPG

One of the front wheel arches covered totally, and the other not! Although it doesn't look very professional or give a great impression of "perceived quality," I understand that it is acceptable and shouldn't cause any durability issues in the medium to long term.

As @ArcticFire & @Pottermus say above, better to leave it alone especially while the car is in warranty.

As an aside, and to illustrate the apparent variability on this from the factory, my Twilight Blue CR-V (2014 MY) seems covered pretty much everywhere, with no visible areas "missed."

16. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. As can be seen from my photos extensive areas are not covered.
    I emailed Honda uk asking if warranty is affected if I apply waxoyl and they told me to check with dealer.

17. maelstrom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, sorry to revive this thread but I'm back from holiday and started thinking about this again.
    Could an owner or two kindly look under the car and see if the coating is as patchy as mine? (just like First Honda did-thanks) The above photos show just after the front wheels. Thanks.

18. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I use the clear Waxoyl on bolts & clips in engine compartment where they are not subjected to abrasion but there is black coloured Hardwax by Waxoyl which is abrasion resistant that can be purchased in aerosol cans for self application from the SUPAGARD web site. I know of someone that had a "professional" application of this stuff on his S2000 & they made a complete mess including spraying it onto the exhaust. I used it myself on previous S2000 on the suspension adjusters after the dealer had copper greased them internally and suspension bolts by hiring a ramp for a morning. On current S2000 the supplying dealer has smothered copper grease on out side of adjusters so no need.

maelstrom likes this.
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@maelstrom - I took these 'photos of my 2015 CR-V today.

The finish looks exactly the same as yours. The main parts of the underside are covered by plastic parts. Where that doesn't cover - you can see I took a shot at the back and at the front of the car - there is no top coat applied.

IMG_0083. IMG_0084. IMG_0085. IMG_0087.

Based on my experience, I don't think this is that unusual for cars these days, and I don't think it is cause for concern - on the other hand, I can't see why a coat of Waxoyl (or similar) wouldn't be a good idea...:Smile:

maelstrom likes this.
  20. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    No sign of white anywhere under my wife's 62 reg CR-V, the plastic liners in rear wheel arches have what looks like a black crinkly underseal finish whereas the front liners are smooth black plastic. If some "white" parts are plastic then hard waxoyl may not adhere?

Noticed in Ichibans post that underseal used on Land Rovers is in fact a Waxoyl product, probably the abrasion resistant Hardwax available from SUPAGARD. This came in couple of aerosol cans with gloves & rough sponges to spread around so you could try on the plastic and metal parts.

First get dealer to put right under guarantee.