Off-Topic We have a Generator for Load Shedding

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by RogerH69, Thursday 1st Oct, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I'm sat here at home with man flu from hell, and thought I'd order in some Domino's Pizza. I then remembered my missus told me when I was recently in ZA that they now have Domino's in South Africa, so I thought I'd have a look at how wide spread it is in South Africa.

Browsing through their list of stores (quite a few for something that's newish to the country), I noticed something that kept repeating itself 'We have a generator for load shedding'.

Yup, that's a fact of life in South Africa at the moment, load shedding (Eskom, the electricity supplier, cannot keep up with the demand, so turns off the power to entire suburbs / cities / provinces at a time, more often that is acceptable) is so common, that restaurants all over the country are forced to get their own generators to keep their fridges / lights / stoves etc. going.

I've also heard of a rise in food poisoning / contamination due to people having food in their freezer that defrosts during load shedding and then freezes again. Load shedding usually only lasts for a few hours at a time, but you'd be amazed how long that can seem....

Living like this can make you appreciate how people in developed countries can take such things for granted.

Needless, to say, sales of mobile devices such as tablets, as well as small generators have sky rocketed in SA in the last few year.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Now... back to ordering some pizza :Smile:

Chunkylover53 and Nels like this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yes, you often don't appreciate what you've got until it's gone.
    In this country, we tend to be quite 'closeted' from the rest of the world and it is easy to forget just how privileged we are.
    Enjoy the pizza. The man-flu will go in it's own good time.

RogerH69 likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Imagine living without internet access !!! :Blink::Aghast:

RogerH69 likes this.
  4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Alano Premium Member Club Supporter

I'd have to start talking to the wife again :eek:

RogerH69 likes this.
  6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wonder if it is a Honda Genny?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The national Grid has been warnong for a few years there is no spare capacity in the UK and we are nearly max utilisation all the time. So these power cuts may be around the block for us.

No wonder I am investing in my own power generation and seprate incoming for my house with automatic switching gear,