General Wear n Tear

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AndyB1976, Monday 31st Mar, 2014.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I was looking at some 2nd Generation CR-V's last weekend and one in particular a 2005 facelift claimed to have a 105,000 (105 not 150) miles with FSH on sale for £3500

I never bothered looking at the paperwork because the steering wheel was in my opinion very worn, the rubberised coating was patchy and at least one the pedals had metal showing through. The seats looked acceptable, they weren't burst or anything, The bodywork was quite badly scratched, more through neglect rather than vandalism. The rocker cover had peeling paint, there was a hint of varnishing through the oil filler, the oil was certainly on the dark side. I didn't bother starting it up to be honest, I don't think I would have done a straight swap or even paid £500 for it!

So what are your experiences with Honda's in general? My 2002 6th Generation is at 90,000 and although it has a leather steering wheel I can't imagine in 15,000 miles time it will look this bad.

The others had a variety of issues, uneven tyre wear, worse paintwork, one even had a rear light cluster from the preface (on the facelift model) - so they weren't matching lol. Maybe the tyre cover is trying to tell me something.

I didn't post this in the CR-V section as I thought it might be of interest across the range.

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 31st Mar, 2014
  2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well some of them do ring true with my car come to think of it and it's only done 80k but it's 15 yrs old. The steering wheel on mine is very shiny in some places and there are quite a few marks from my dad's ring I assume. The rubber of the brake + clutch went at 75k but I do drive a lot with football studs. The bodywork is pretty bad on mine too but again it wasn't looked after till I got it. Other than that the interior and engine bay is spotless and has never given any trouble with regular servicing.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate these CR-V had a habit of eating oil like crazy they were worse than oil burners. 10w-40 was burnt in that K20 in no time. The real problem with those CR-V is you have to use 0w-30 and you have to mantain the levels and oil changes. If these were used for Shed pulling duties that makes it worse

Once you get into the vicious cycle of not changing or topping the levels the VTC solenoid get jammed and it will plague the cars performance no matter what you do to it.

Get the oil cap off the rocker cover and anything but amber yellow stains is acceptable any shade of browner stains walk away.

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers guys.

I probably need to consider an average condition for its age I guess. My car is not perfect, and I'm not a perfectionist but I try to keep it as good as possible mechanically generally in advance of the service schedule. I like to see some wear obviously, its more honest that something that's been covered up.

CJ, the engine was certainly more brown than amber through the filler cap. I'm not going near one with a tow bar. In that respect is there any telltale signs of a tow bar that's been removed?

5. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi
    As far as wear and tear is concerned I can only comment personally.
    My partner has just sold her 2005 Jazz that she had from new. It had done about 90k and was looked after meticulously by myself. Oil and filter every 6 k plus yearly service. I would put it along side a 10-15k vehicle anytime both mechanically and cosmetically. ...so if you look after them they wear well. Bottom line though is I couldn't give it away nobody wanted it. If I knew how to post piccies I would show you.
    Rick

AndyB1976 likes this.
  6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    What happened in the end with the sale then? As for posting pictures, take a look at this guide.

7. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It went to a dealer. I'll look at the guide then post some piccies If she still has them. On reflection wish I had kept it would no doubt have done another 90 k.

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers Rick.

I think the majority of folk on here look after their cars to those high standards too. There is some junk out there for sale, but then again it might simply be I'm seeing your typical average car, that's had an average maintenance regime - and I'm being generous when I say average ;-)

9. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi andy
    My regime is not average. I have had high powered motorcycles all my driving life and you have to keep on top of them. This obviously transfers into my cars. Besides alot of people don't give a damn.
    Its personal standards really

10. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah I was referring to the ones I had seen Rick, when I said 'your', I didn't mean 'your' example lol :Niceone:

I am hoping to find one that has been maintained by someone like you :Hey:

11. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi andy
    Yes I understood that. It would have been nice to sell the Jazz to someone who gave a damn. I hate to think what kind of existence she probably has now.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

In this through-away culture, many don't even consider maintaining their smaller, simpler possessions, yet alone repairing them... :Tumbleweed:
    That is, if they can be repaired.
    What chance is there for complex engineering, like a modern day car, :vtec:even when its printed out for them in their handbook.
    If they can't do it themselves, there's always a man that can :Whistle:
    Maybe they need an 'app'. Seems like the only thing many look at now.

At least the folk on here haven't gone that way. :Yahoo:

13. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi andy
    just an example of one of my bikes. That was 22yrs old at the time and had done about 45k.
    Rick

Attached Files:

14. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi nels
    You've hit the nail on the head!!!!!

15. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I know, I am thinking about scrapping mine when the day comes rather than let some greasey oik get a hold of it lol.

16. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Looks in stunning condition, much respect! :Hey:

17. ricksmith Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was when it left me......can't speak for it now. From 1988 I had 5 of that particular bike and a couple I had were better than that. The one in the picture went all over europe many times. So to cut a long story short you can imagine what the Jazz was like.
    Rick

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thanks Rick.
    I was a little slow typing, forgot to put the quote in first, couldn't add it after and the rest of you had moved on. :Blushing:

19. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It saddens me that at one end of the spectrum that the engineers are designing components with such precision and accuracy yet so many folk don't even bother to lift the bonnet to check the fluid levels.

What about the time and calculations involved in machining a crankshaft for example.....and it could be destroyed by sheer laziness and awareness.

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

That is one well looked after bike !
    It's often better to never see them again, just in case they were 'looked after' by one of those 'average' sorts!