Feedback/Help Web search

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by FirstHonda, Wednesday 10th Jun, 2015.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm not sure why, but I did a web search today for "Honda Owners Club."

HondaKarma doesn't even come on the first page (I use Bing).

If I type in "Accord owners" then the old AOC comes up first, then "Type-R", then "Type Accord" and then Honda Karma.

Can anything be done to make HondaKarma at the top of all such searches? Is it even something worth doing??

Just a thought...:Bye:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for letting us know mate we will address this.

Google is still the search engine of choice but yes we need to be visible all over.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

On "Google" HondaKarma does come on the first page, but as the eighth listing when typing in "Honda Owners Club."

Also on "Google" typing "Accord Owners" lists HondaKarma second behind "Type Accord" which I guess is less of an issue.

I'm no "techie" but as HK is for ALL Honda models, it would be great if it came top (or near the top) for anybody searching for "Honda XXXX Owners Club."

No idea if that is possible, reasonable, or viable...:Laughing:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Short answer, you can't just choose your search position - there's hugely complex algorithms which determine your position on certain keywords. it's an entire multi-billion pound industry itself known as SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). I didn't realise our Bing position was that bad though, looking up now we pull in over 70 times the amount of visitors from Google each month.

I can't share precise stats and figures here as it's pretty sensitive data, you'll see why in a minute, but we improve month to month pulling in more and more - we do watch and monitor it but don't have the funds as a club to really work on it above letting it work itself naturally.

The reason we rank so badly (though are getting better month on month as I say) is that an unknown competitor has been targeting us trying to drop our rank for a long time, it's a coordinated purposeful attack on the site using really spammy techniques. We caught it pretty late but now have something alerting us. Obviously have our suspicions as to who it is, but I'm not going to play the blame game. It's something we can't do that much about except use a special Google tool to help combat it and hope for the best.

It's something I'd love to be able to do something about it properly, but the club's in no position financially as we just about cover server rental and web services supporting the website as it stands. It needs a good couple of hundred a month in budget to make a real difference.

I will say though that the club pulls in over 100,000 unique visitors a month which is a huge amount for a forum - so something's going right.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:BooYeah::Happy::BooYeah:

A job for

:sherlock: +:police:+:judge:

OR

:money:+:Baseballbat:+:boxing:+:toarms:... :Whistle:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

It's a job for the latter this **** will be taught a lesson. You can mark my words.

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

They get their just deserts in the end. :Grin:

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The only reason I use "Bing" is because it was pre-loaded on Safari as the default search site when I got both my iPad and iMac last year. Shows how lazy I am, I never went back to Google as it seemed to do the job...:Smile:. I wonder if all new Apple products are the same or whether it was something I did in set-up?

^^That's very impressive! :clap:

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    All Apple products are the same, they removed Google as the default search engine about 3 years ago if I remember correctly. Just really Apple being stroppy as Google's Android is their main iOS competitor.

Ichiban likes this.