Engine & Gearbox weird noise and light slighht dimminmg and back to normal constant + speedo

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by eviltony, Monday 19th Aug, 2013.

1. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi few things battery died on my car so charged it up for 24 hrs and now starts fine but tonight on way hpome from work weird noise and headlights and interior lights ie dash was dimming higher and lower constantly also since i changed my exhaust speedo stopped working and engine lights come up and i aint got a clue gonna get al;ternator checked tomo see if thats the problem as for speedoi that stopped working aswell after changed exhaust realy annoying was fine b4 looked around can't see any l;oose cables any 1 no where speedo cconnected to engine or any suggestions be great

ps is theer any where i can get engine light code checked and or cheap kit ie usb to obd thing that i can use to get code my self can't think wat they called

Last edited: Monday 19th Aug, 2013
  2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Hi

Dead battery and fluctuating lights sounds like the alternator to me. Have you got a volt meter to read across the battery terminals? You want about 12.6v with the engine off and about 14v with the engine running.

Speed sensor is here 6-12 Honda Car Parts / Choose by Model / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda
    M__1300.

I use a bluetooth ODBII sensor paired with Android and the Torque app. The free/trial Torque app can read codes so if you have an Android just buy one.
    Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner, Scan tool check Engine Light CAR CODE READER for ELM327: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike You might want to buy it from Ebay or elsewhere or pay a little bit extra to have it shipped from the UK if its urgent.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh before you buy any ODBII readers, ensure you have a port for it on the 6th Generation. Apparently some of the earlier ones don't have the port in the passenger footwell beside the center console. You need to read it with a diagnostic pin otherwise.

IMG_0316r.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Agree with Andy, get your alternator checked out.

OBD readers can be had for real cheap now, plenty of choices on ebay. You don't need a fancy one really.

Last edited: Tuesday 20th Aug, 2013
  4. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

well found out my alternator over charging when lights on as garage checked ouyt alternator for me so now i gotta see where i can find a cheap on and thanks for the heads up where is the speed sensor located just after the engine or above it i mean

- - - Updated - - -

yer mine has 1 wat is best a bluetooth 1 do the same as usb or wat and does it reset it aswell sorry bit newb to the obd bit will it be better using laptop to use bt scanner with programme than fone or there free software for foen free

5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm not sure how well ODBII readers compare, to read and reset code must be a given for all of them.

Torque and Android allows you to monitor and record info from some of the sensors. I'm not sure how accurate it is, or if it has any real value but you can do that with the paid version of the app.

revs.

To get to the speed sensor, well to see it at least its easier to remove to the air intake snorkel. To replace it you might need to remove the lower radiator hose away from the thermostat - obviously coolant is going to come out so be prepared drain down and to replace it.

IMAG0462tn_zps0a7699bc.

IMAG0460tn_zps51695fc7.

Ichiban, eviltony and SpeedyGee like this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Top info, with pictures to boot ! Nice one Andy :Thumbup:

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers Speedy :Thumbup:

8. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ahh ok thanks for the help my old mans more the mechanic than i am i watch and learn try do myself where possible ill have a go at that i gonna get alternator from the scrap yard friday so hopefully that will help that problem as uisiung fone as rough guide speedo mate said possible when changed exhaust pulled something out

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice one...

There isn't much room at all to work in around the speed sensor.

To take the snorkel/air intake hose off you just loosen (slotted screwdriver) a jubilee clip up at the throttle body, one at the the air filter housing. Pull a breather pipe out (that runs to the rocker cover) and I find unplugging and unclipping the map sensor (grey) plug on top of the throttle body, it just gets that wire out of the way too.

eviltony likes this.
  10. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i tried looking forssor but can't really see it andy do u have a pic thats not sso close up that i can see where it is please so i can have a look as sorted alternator out was hoping that would solve the issue with speed sensororis there a fuse for it somewhere possibly that gone as don't ctually lookingfor is there a actual pic of speed sensor aswell sorry for being apain

11. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hows this for ya....

vss_larger_zpsf8e8fed3.

I had to take the snorkel/air intake off to see it....

unclip_plug_tn1_zpscb41353a.

undo_jubilee_throttle_tn1_zps5d21e99c.

undo_jubilee_filter_tn1_zpsa5c133b9.

unclip_breather_tn1_zpsf84113c2.

[video=youtube_share;c4udvcxRU9o]http://youtu.be/c4udvcxRU9o[/video]

Ichiban likes this.
  12. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ty mate that do much easier u sir are a legend now to see if thats all gd maybe give it wipe see if that sorts problem out ty for ur time :Smile:

13. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No probs bud, hope you get it sorted!

eviltony likes this.
  14. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yer me to this car been grief so far but things looking bit better mite have look tomorrow after work as be nice to not have to use my sat nave jus so i know roughly how fast i going lol is there anything i cud do to it like clean or something then stick it back in see if that helps like bit of wd40 onor something anything to look out for when i get it out as trying to find 1 on ebay jus incase i had a site that gave me all part no. but lost it lol that bluetooth obd2 reader is cool with torque app handy fro future use and if buy another ar can check with that 2

15. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm not too sure what that sensor problem could be, I think yours is the first one I seen on the forums. Hopefully its just been disconnected on some way, or just needs reconnected.

Lings is great for part numbers and apprx where things are and how they go together. Pop you reg no in and you should find all the parts you'll ever need.

Honda Car Parts / Genuine Honda Parts | Honda Cars | Honda Motorcycles | Honda Power Products | Lings Honda (you might need to sign up for access, but its painless if you do)

Aye, Torque isn't too bad at all. You can also drive with it connected and monitor some sensors, I had the coolant temp under watch one evening. As I mentioned on the recent ODBII thread, you can software switch to a HUD (heads up display) which inverts the texts/dials/info - then lie your phone on top of your dash and you can read the reflection on the windscreen the right way up. Not great during the day, but still need to give it a thorough testing in all conditions. Obviously a less than slippery phone case helps else your handset will be skiting all over the place:Angry:

16. eviltony Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yer or a slip matt on dash wud solve that ilol i think i mite take it off clean it and put back then that will rule it out

AndyB1976 likes this.