ICE & HFT Weird Premium Sound System Sub Fault

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nauest, Monday 23rd Feb, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    I have developed a very weird fault with the inbuilt Sub in my Tourer.

Occasionally it will get hooked up on a bass note, i.e. a bass note won't stop. Its like someone is holding down the lowest key on a synth!

The problem is fixed by restarting the ICE system or just turning the volume down and back up.

I am pretty savvy with audio having made all of my home stereo system, so I intend to get to the bottom of this!

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows a solution! Its a weird one!

Cheers :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also does anyone know if the Subwoofer is independently amplified or driven by the head unit?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's an odd problem indeed, kinda sounds like an amp failure.

3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Its very occasional. I know a fair bit about Amps and no idea how it could fail like that! I feel like it is probably something else.

4. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    According to lings website it's a separate item. Website does not show where it lives though as I fancied a sub in my Type-S but didn't know if it would work as I don't have the premium sound system.

5. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Ok thats good for me! Will get in there and play around when I get some time off.

I will let you know if I find out the Config. Going to start behind the Sub itself which on the tourer is in the boot in the left hand panel behind the wheel.

6. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Yes I've got some de icer and some jump leads in there :Wink:

7. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Maybe thats where mine has gone wrong, nothing but wiring in mine...Will get some new genuine Honda Jump Leads and De Icer installed and see if that fixes it :Tongue:

8. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Looks like its related to the slightly dodgey after market additions the last owner made! DSC_1623.JPG

9. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Did you spot an amp for the sub whilst you were in there? Lings shows one but god knows where it should live

10. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    It must be up front, didn't find any sign of an amplifier back there. Will let you know if I do find it.

11. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    I think it must be in the dash then - thanks

12. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Also found much more potential for sound insulation back there!

Yes It will be in the dash. The wiring loom goes down under the doors and to the front. I have looked at the wiring diagram and its not obvious. I do think the Sub amp is likely to be part of the head unit assembly on my car (Nav).

13. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Bummer I've only got the cd player on my Type-S

14. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Still possible, I will see if I can find the wiring diagram for you. Well even if you have no sub at least your engine sounds better than mine :Wink:

15. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Yes its normally quiet and occasionally angry and loud but definitely not like a tractor :Wink:

16. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Had a look at your wiring layout, looks like there is no Audio out at either line level or for a Sub unfortunately. It is possible to get a device that can extract a low level audio signal from the speaker wires and use that to drive an aftermarket Sub. Would be a fair bit of wiring to do.

I have a home made double 8 inch sub spare in fact, don't need it in the Accord!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Where do you get your audio from usually? Cd, iPod, Radio?

17. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Standard head unit soon to have xcarlink for s4 galaxy

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It sits under the gear lever its a small back box with heat-sink outer skin you can miss it.

nauest likes this.
  19. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Do you know if it works with both types of head unit or if it only works with the sat nav type?

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would have though so but the EX amp will be slightly beefier but can see why a SE or Sports spec car won't work.