Tools Welding/Fabrication Thread

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by PeteMM, Monday 31st Mar, 2014.

1. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Every good forum needs one....

So post up whatever it is you are working on. Doesn't necessarily have to be car related, but if you are making it fire up some pics.

I am a sheet metal worker by trade (Aircraft) but cars are my life, so I'll contribute everything I can to the thread. I don't consider myself to be an expert, but I am happy to help anyone out if they need it and I am able to.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  2. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Smooth bulkhead and new footwells into an MG Midget

Photo 09-03-2012 19 17 35.

Complete Midget floor pans, ready to be welded into the shell
    imag0647o.

Transmission tunnel during mock up

Photo 19-03-2012 18 37 43.

Damaged wing repair
    damaged wing.
    repaired wing.

That should get us started

Ichiban likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Can I come work with you for a week, improve my welding skills Lol.

I'll post some of my (amateur) welding efforts later.

Great idea for a thread BTW

4. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

1. I couldn't pay you
    2. We are all amateurs, there is only so much a person can achieve within their natural abilities, but I aim to reach my ceiling...... someday
    3. No matter how amateur, any form of fabrication is someones perception of how something should be. Something I create may not even hit the radar of those fabricators who have made massive names for themselves, but then again, it wasn't that many years ago I remember most of them as just regular members of honda-tech being told to put the equipment down and go get a job in mcdonalds. So anyone is capable of anything if they put their minds to it, persist with it and concentrate on the task in hand long enough to achieve their goal

Nels likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    uum my first gen needs its rear arches done where it meets the sill, they are showing the early stages of rot.

6. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

My 7th Generation needs to same

Due to lack of room and lack of desire/ability to paint, it will be shipped off to a friends bodyshop to get done there

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I had mine repaired the whole section was swapped out.

8. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Yeah, purely due to cost I am not doing that, plus there is no real requirement to do so if the repair is done right.

The guy doing mine will have it done to a metal finish meaning no filler, no overlapping material and the welds will be carried out on pristine metal, it will also be well protected from behind and the arch lip itself will be bonded, not welded giving a little more protection compared to how Honda left them.

As much as I would love to do a full 1/4 panel on each side, ultimately there is always going to be a point you have to weld and join, so I see little point in replacing all that good metal for the sake of the bad pourous bits around the arch.

9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

sometimes there is no other way than to do it with the skills you have and then let others finish it the way you want it :Smile:

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Can anyone give their opinion on the strength and quality of these welds?

20140321_184100.

20140321_184105.

20140321_184130.

20140321_184148.

20140321_184201.

20140321_184310.

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

They are definitely stuck, thats for sure. plenty of penetration, although the weld seems a little cold on the first two pics hence it is quite highly built up.

Are they conversion mounts? or just ally inserts into a stock mount?

Last edited: Tuesday 1st Apr, 2014
  12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Great thread guys.

So for someone like me who likes to learn new skills....Is the Arc or Mig welder the best place to start out learning basic welding skills?

13. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Personally I would go for MIG.

ARC welding was great in the 70's and if you have a lot of 3 or 5 bar gates needing repaired around your farm, realistically though MIG is the most time efficient and easy to learn. They can also be incredibly cheap to buy in the first place.

Also, BOC gas works out cheaper than hobbyweld bottles, but you can run your mig on CO2 pub gas which is dead handy to get ahold of and cheap too. If you wish to stick to Argoshield make sure you get quoted for the "Volkszone" discount when you contact BOC, makes a fair dent in the annual expenditure.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  14. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice one, thanks for the reply.:Hey:

15. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Have a look for Jody's channel on youtube

www.weldingtricksandtips.com

There is a serious amount can be learnt from him. As I said, I am no expert, so better to watch the videos appropriate to what you want to do.

For a good quality welder at sensible money I would go for R-Tech. Stay away from sealey and other cheaper "tool box red" makes from machinemart

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/Mig_Welder/240V_Mig_Welders

The best advice I can give is have patience. When I started I wanted to rattle out as much welding as possible with little regard to the quality of the weld being achieved. Over time I got neater but that was purely through experience and not knowledge.

The TIG really makes you realise how much patience and concentration you do need to create a good weld. By good though I don;t mean stuck, it has to be aesthetically pleasing too

AndyB1976 likes this.
  16. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've subscribed to the welding tips n tricks Youtube channel, cheers!

Can I throw in a cheeky question about a grinder to anyone lol. I bought a Dewalt 18v 4.5" grinder last year and I seemingly can't tighten the nut enough to grip the supplied OEM disc. The nut is as tight as I can get it with the spanner but its still slopped about and when it touches any material it effectively brakes the spinning disc.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I searched online and some advice was to reverse the nut, the nut is asymmetric so it does grip slightly differently, however it tells you to only install it one way in the manual (and on the nut itself).

If any of you guys have a grinder have you seen this before?

17. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Turn the lock nut over - one side should be flat and the other should have a lip

18. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

OK...I'll give it a go, thanks again :Niceone:

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The welds do look "cold" as they are heaped over. They look plenty strong enough though. To get a better weld, would need higher setting on the welder and slow the feed a little.

PeteMM likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

This is one of my welds. I was welding a bracket onto a sub frame. I should have scrubbed the weld clean before taking the picture but you can see that instead of the being heaped up, the weld has penetrated into both target surfaces and has like a concave shape to it.

20131201_120543.

PeteMM likes this.