General What are these door dampeners called?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Tuesday 20th Sep, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'm trying to find out the name of the little spring rubber dampers that you have where the doors close which makes them close with a nice noice, the ones on the front doors on my car are a bit worn and don't dampen properly.

This is what i'm referring to:

door stops.PNG

2. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hi,
    Im sure that's a switch for the interior light.

exec likes this.
  3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Courtesy light switch.

Harvey and exec like this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Oh wait what, is that what they are? I could have sworn there just dampeners? How are the doors dampened then?

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They aren't.

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    How come they make a nice reassuring noise when the doors are shut? Particularly the back ones, the fronts sound a little tinny in comparison.

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The doors themselves have rubber grommets on the inside, but the closing mechanisms aren't dampened.

exec likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Must be number 25 and 15 in this diagram

B__5320.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ah ok, thats what it must be then. Need to inspect inside the doors I guess...

9. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I think it's the rubber seals that do the damping

exec likes this.
  10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Weight of the door itself and rubber seals decide how it closes. Add a bit of sound insulation and see how the noise changes.

exec likes this.
  11. 1066Boy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Maybe the rear doors sound better when closing because they are used less so the rubber seals have done less work. :Laughing:

exec and Harvey like this.
  12. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    If you want a nice solid sound put so sound proofing in the door.

exec and Harvey like this.
  13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

as @StuH says, if you want a nice reassuring close then put dynamat (other sound deadening materials are available) inside the doors. However even at 144K my front doors don't have the same sound as the rear ones either, perhaps its because they are smaller than the front ones due to the shape of them etc. At least it isn't like my old 3rd Generation Astra, where the door hinge pins had worn so much that the doors dropped and when you shut them you would see them rise when they hit the striker plate and latch.

exec likes this.
  14. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The 7th Generation accord doors have a lovely satisfying dampened door closing sound.
    I was well impressed how Honda stepped up their game on the 7th Generation Accords.
    The 7th Generation accord doors are much heavier and with the 7th Generation is it more sound insulated - although honda could have done with more in my opinion. Its still quite loud in the cabin

Honda's from the 90's - sounded tinny when closing of the doors.
    i.e my old EG Civic and 1999 Civic coupe

exec, legend-ary and Harvey like this.
  15. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ The Accords in general have a much higher quality feel that the Civic as they are a class above, my dads old 5th Generation Accord closed doors nicely.

I think what it might be with the front doors is as mentioned by others the seals have worn down, my drivers side is ripped infact, the fronts are used heavily whereas the rear doors not so much, add to the fact as Harvey mentioned the doors are a little different, including the place they close is much bigger surface area. I've got a load of soundproofing sheets that I never fitted, so may give these a go on the bootlid to test out as that has a bit of a tin sound too.

Harvey likes this.