Off-Topic What are your other interests?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jables667, Sunday 28th Feb, 2016.

1. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Outside of your pride and joy, how do you like to spend your time? Have you any hobbies or interests? What do you like to do in your downtime? Car related replies are still welcome!

I'm a musician, for the most part. I'm sure my avatar may have given that away. I believe that's me on stage at Brixham, but that whole period is a blur of gigs, rehearsals, parties and hospital visits (the stress of it all caused a plethora of health issues like renal failure, heart complaints and serious back problems).

No longer in a band because of those health concerns and because it was no longer financially viable. Gigs were paying barely enough to cover my fuel expenses and at around the same time, I was needed to go full time at work.

But enough of the sad stuff. I have a lot of fun in my home studio playing with my guitars, which I also collect, refurbish and sell for a small profit. Whenever I have time to kill, I like working on instrumental tracks either seriously or making up or learning funny songs to amuse everyone with. With some time I had spare a few years ago, I put the guitar down (an instrument I've been playing for around eighteen years now) and turned my attention to learning to play the bass and the piano to not only further my understanding of music theory but also flesh out my songs a bit with interesting new elements. Currently looking to join a new band and get that rewarding feeling one gets from playing to a crowd. It was the most fun I ever had.

Secondary to music, I'm quite technically minded. I fiddle with computers (also making a small amount of extra cash fixing laptops and PCs) and other electronics. I used to be quite enthused with videogames, but I don't find the time or motivation these days. A good film or book is about all I can manage!

A big part of my life is my best friend. The sad part is to reveal that he is a two-and-a-half year old gerbil named Icarus, or Iccy for short. Everybody loves him. He had a brother - Prometheus - until October last year, when he sadly passed away from immune system complications. Since then, Iccy has needed constant attention. He was a shy fella when he and his brother were first adopted. Prometheus settled with me very quickly, but Iccy required much more reassurance. Having spent so much more time with him, he's rather funny with other people. He loves his daddy and no one else :BooYeah:

11222982_1432739657054789_6320506103608846083_o.
    That's Prometheus on the left and Iccy on the right :Smile: Cute, aren't they?

So there it is. I'd very much like to get to know you all better and find out what makes you tick. Worry not, how a man (or woman) chooses to spend their time is no business of mine or anyone else's to judge. I'm simply curious :clap: And I have no friends other than my gerbil, Icarus. They all left me. Swine.

Ichiban and Bones126 like this.
  2. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    I might as well share some embarrassing bedroom rockstar nonsense buried in the darkest corners of my portfolio, too...

First, something I composed myself for no real reason. Ignoring the lack of any real talent, I'm pretty proud to say I rebuilt that guitar from a sorry pawn shop cheapie to epic Ozzy-inspired awesomeness.

Second, a thing I did to amuse myself one night. Again, I'm very proud of that guitar also. I built it from scratch (because I'd always wanted one and it was a LOT cheaper to make one than buy one), while my artist sister designed and applied the custom artwork.

Duc de Pommfrit and Ichiban like this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice guitar work @Jables667 !

Cute Gerbels, sorry to hear about Prometheus.

Myself, play with all manor of techie things, like getting my hands dirty and trying to be creative, I've also recently found my passion again to play cricket.
    There's always something going on in the garage, not always at a great pace mind :Smile:

Aside from that family and work take a lot out of me and don't have much energy for anything else.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Good guitar work. You do have a girl friend IIRC so Iccy left you in good company .. so what if she drops ash everywhere :Tongue:

Well there is hardly any time left over after work and family but I do have a session of Forza 4/Horizon/Horizon 2 on my Xbox 360 every now and then. Other than that I do a bit of photography too but that is on pause as well so nothing too exciting happening in my life at the moment.

5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've done many things over the last 25yrs.. in the 90's I was a drummer in a band, I did some acting and for several years I did stand up comedy around the country doing stints at the fringe as well as performing at some of the biggest comedy clubs around... I've always loved gaming, from the first pong machine we had as a little kid onto the atari 2600, commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, PC's as well as playstations and xbox (skipped the 3rd/4th Generation) and I still have a Wii but it rarely gets played.

Sadly when times were tough I sold my drum kit, I got into financial difficulties doing the stand up because I didn't always get paid yet still had to travel... then health issues about 1yrs ago got in the way and I had to get a proper job... no more working outside with kids and teenagers (youth worker, social worker)... office jobs in the tech industry that more than paid the bills and allowed me to finally get my sports car and start tastefully modifying a nice V6 beastie.... until health took a turn for the worse 5yrs ago along with having to be a carer for my disabled dad.

I still game, I still mess around with technology and I still write and come up with new jokes that I try out on people... who all keep telling me I should go back to stand up again... But when you can't stand for more than a few mins at a time without intense pain... standing on a stage doing even a 5 min open mic slot is beyond me right now... maybe after the surgery if it all goes well... I'll see how I feel... but it's a younger mans game and it's been 15yrs since I last did a gig.

Bones126 likes this.
  6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Since I gave up racing Motorbikes and instructing on race tracks <<< that's me at Mallory park 2005. I have now settled down and become a father for the first time at 48, so life is very busy for me now with a 1 year old to chase around. I have to say though it is the best thing ever.
    About 2 years ago I started to have lessons to play the guitar, learning classic rock from the 60's 70' and 80's. I'm slowly getting better as time is limited to practice but love it as it's something I always wanted to do. Unfortunately I feel it won't be the endless gigging, too much beer (if there is such a thing :Smile: ) and the party life that with cause me renal failure, heart complaints and serious back problems now :-/ lol

Great work though @Jables667 , inspirational :peace: \m/

7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I have a few other things I'm into nothing major and I seem to have become fed up with most things :Messed: Computers is my areas of expertise and my profession, I still like it all, but when you work with them day in day out you kind of start hating them, its nice to get away from technology and I love my fitness workout regime and also trying to get back doing some martial arts, especially as i've got back into watching MMA and UFC, I am a big football fan but my love for it has waned over the years, it doesnt feel the same anymore and fed up with the club i support. I also game a bit and like the odd photography here and there.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How many bad ass rockers do we have here. we need a HK moshpit :mosh:

Heckler likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If you can't form a band you could always make something like this instead

:Smile:

exec and legend-ary like this.
  10. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Get me a drum kit and I'm in... after some practice as it has been at least 15yrs since I've done anything other than air drumming whilst driving. :Smile:

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    this is mesmerizing. very cool

12. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Well, I do have a degree in mechanical engineering...

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Cool ! A mini version of that will be fine :Grin:

14. Jables667 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Jables Exeter
    Well, if anyone wanted a closer look, here are the two guitars used in the videos.

First is the Jackson RR clone I built from scratch (artwork lovingly crafted by my sister)

20140125_175943.

And second is a Gibson Flying V clone I picked up from a pawn shop for around £30. It was in a dreadful state. Electronics were completely shot and the original hardware was stained, scuffed and cracked. It used to look like a typical 1968 Flying V (Black w/ white pickguard and chrome-covered pickups), so after spending about another £70 on it, I ended up with this:

Before:
    Photo017.

After:
    20140117_144010.