Electrical & Lights What battery should my car have?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Harvey, Monday 15th Dec, 2014.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I know this sounds kinda weird asking what battery my car should have. The long story short is that the battery on my car is becoming abit weak, showing about 11 volts, but still starting the car fine, only once was it a little sluggish. I checked the likes of euro car parts and their system recommends a type 050 battery, yet the one on the car is a type 075. Assuming that the last owner got a battery that fitted and had roughly the right power to start and went on price, so far seen type 050 at around 70-80quid and type 075 for about 50-60

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Whatever halfords or ECP etc recommend is wrong.

Genuine batteries are under £50 from HH.

Otherwise, I went for a Bosch S5 size 027 for £70 to cope with the sub, interior lights and shorter journeys which I am very happy with.

3. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair enough, didn't think to go to the dealers. Need some coin first though, hopefully this one will last through the winter.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hopefully it will, I think HH is probably your best and cheapest bet to get a new compatible battery.

Harvey likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Definitely a call to HH. They will confirm which battery and I'm sure it'll be a lot cheaper than those mentioned above.
    I'd call ASAP so you know how much, and hence be able to get it shipped as soon as the £'s are available.

6. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good call guys, I'll give them a shout, I presume I mention this forum to them to get the perk?

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup just ask them to apply the Honda Karma discount.

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's great news, hopefully they can sort something out from their Cheshire oaks depot, as A that's the closest and b its not that far out of the way when I go to see family in Liverpool.

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Free next day delivery! No need to collect, unless you're passing.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    As @Nels says above, but they can get one to Cheshire Oaks for you to collect if you prefer (I've done it there), they might even have one there already as it's standard running gear.

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There's a thought. Next day delivery,.
    normally get stuff sent straight to work.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Don't wait, cos if the voltage has dropped it will get worse when it becomes even more cold and you will be left stranded somewhere.

I got mine from Holdcroft around 1 or 2 years ago after mine went weak, cost £44 delivered next day, bargain price!

Harvey and Chunkylover53 like this.
  13. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had a look earlier and it must have been a bad connection on thr multi meter as it's about 12.3v, not great but acceptable, however I can't afford 44 quid right now with xmas just around the corner.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That's around 75-80% charge, I wouldn't be too worried mate.

15. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's not so bad then really.

16. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    When was it showing 12.3v? With the car turned off? What is it showing with the car running?

17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

14.4v with engine running so alternator is fine.
    12.3v after the surface charge in the battery has been removed with having the headlights on for a few minutes.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Just sounds like an ageing battery to be honest, she'll likely last you several more months :Smile:

Nighthawk and Harvey like this.
  19. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    My battery went last week. I was as it was a sunday and have to use the car to get to work. So i went to Helfrauds. the battery they sold me didn't fit, so replaced it with another one, but don't think it'll have the power it should. but its got a 3 year warrenty, so if it fails will just get a free one. :Smile:

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It isn't always quite that simple to get a replacement under warranty, but it can be done. Ensure you keep the receipt/guarantee safely.