General What Car to Replace My 2006 Accord?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by sc489, Sunday 15th May, 2016.

1. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a 2006 Accord 2.0 SE (petrol) which is now nearly 10 years old and has done 67,000 miles. The only failure has been a leaking brake master cylinder which was replaced under Honda Extended Warranty 2 years ago. The car also needs new rear brake pads abut every 25,000 miles which seems to be a 'feature' of this model.

I'm having great difficulty finding a new car as quiet and refined as the 7th Generation. Accord which also has a decent ground clearance / breakover angle to cope with a steep drive I need to negotiate. Many modern car designs have an extended wheelbase with no compensating increase in ground clearance which makes it difficult to negotiate steep changes in incline without bottoming! I was quite impressed with the Lexus IS300H until I realised the breakover angle was insufficient.

The Mazda 3 Fastback is potential replacement since it has a decent ground clearance, drives well and seems to have good reliabilty. I don't really want a SUV unless there are no other alternatives.

I'm interested in your views on:
    1. What common faults am I potentially facing if I keep my Accord a while longer bearing in mind its modest mileage (67,000 miles) and excellent reliability history?
    2. What other replacement cars can members recommend? My preference is for a refined good handling car with excellent reliability which probably means staying with a Japanese brand. It also needs to have a good ground clearance / breakover angle. Mazda cars are quite good in this respect.
    3. What do members think of the Mazda 3 2.0 petrol Fastback which is the main option on my buying list?
    I might have been tempted to buy another new Accord but sadly the Accord is no longer sold in the UK.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you tried an 8th Generation, but not the ones with sports bumpers and side skirts, or a CR-V?
    Bo_ likes this.
  3. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick reply! I really want a new car and the Accord is no longer for sale in the UK. The ground clearance is also insufficient as is the Civic. I tried the CR-V but was disappointed by the petrol engine economy and handling. I don't want a diesel car by the way.
    jazzway likes this.
  4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Mazda CX-5 springs to mind - I know it's a SUV but the petrol fuel economy figures are impressive and I would imagine ground clearance wouldn't be an issue. Expensive to buy new though.
  5. mustnap Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malaysia mustnap Kuala Lumpur
    My car is a 2003 Accord. The only changes i had to do were
    1. Clutch plate (clutch plate, cover, and oil seal) and flywheel - the clutch had gone around 66k miles.
    2. 3x rubber bushes on each front tyres as the rubber had became harden and no longer working - which had caused the alignment to be difficult to be corrected.

Other than that, nothing else really. i am quite happy with the car. Planning to keep it for another 3-4 years (cars are expensive where I am at - i think i could still sell my 13 year old car for GBP7k! )
  6. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    I was thinking to myself the other day what would I do if my Accord needed immediate replacement. Didn't get anywhere and I think I decided I'd just get the same Accord again. Be interesting to hear what others have to say about new alternatives.
  7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mmm this is a big problem once you have owned an accord. I have had the three year itch of late thinking about a new car. But came the the conclusion that there just isn't anything good enough to replace it.
    I looked and reviewed a lot of german stuff and it all seems littered with expensive and often major reliability issues.

There seems to be a misguided and national obsession with diesel cars and petrol variants of many of the nicer models are very rare indeed across all manufacturers.

So I concluded I would replace it with another accord. However mine is now 12 years old with 100K and has been very reliable indeed.
    I don't think any other car would come close if I am honest...
    Bo_ likes this.
  8. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    My Accord (6th Generation) is coming up 17 years old with 126K on the clock. I had a good look around for something equivalent and more modern a couple of years ago but found nothing suitable, and I couldn't face trading it in anyway. Apart from later model Accords it was used Jaguars and Saabs that came nearest to tempt me.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    When you're ready to replace your 2006 7th Generation, why not simply buy the newest 8th Generation you can find?
    Nighthawk, FirstHonda and Nels like this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I looked at the Mazda 3. On the plus side, the deal available was ridiculous, and the interior is nice. I could not live with the noisy and unrefined engine and crashy ride though.

The CX5 was much better to drive, but the interior - being an older model - wasn't up to much, that was back in 2012 though, so they may have upgraded it to match the newer 3 and 6.

Have you looked at the new Toyota RAV4 Hybrid?
  11. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your replies.

I don't really want a SUV (e.g. RAV4 / CX5). I've driven a petrol RAV4 and wasn't impressed. I can't buy a new Accord anymore in the UK and anyway the latest version has grown in size. I quite like the Mazda 3 and thought the engine was quiet. It's also higher geared than my Accord - about 2400rpm at 70mph compared to 3000rpm for my Accord. I initially thought the Mazda 3 road noise was a bit loud but then found my Accord was similar when driving the same test route which had some rough tarmac. The Mazda 3 is still a leading choice for a relatively compact, reliable (Japanese?) saloon/hatchback with decent ground clearance / breakover angle to replace my Accord.

The MOT on my Accord is due next month so I might keep it through another winter at least provided its excellent reliability continues.

I think Honda have lost the plot with their current car range e.g. no Accord class mid range saloon/hatchback and some cars made in dubious plants (e.g. the HR-V made Mexico).
  12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I agree it is very difficult to find anything suitable after the accord. I was considering a Mercedes of some kind but their reliability record is appalling, not to mention repair costs! So I am sticking with the accord for a while yet.
    I drove a brand new Civic diesel recently. The ride was very good as was the handling. They have refined the diesel engine a little but is still a very noisy lump compared to the petrol. Quite revvy for a diesel but runs out of steam far to early.
    The interior was not to my taste at all, like a computer games consul inside, way over the top with blue lights and computer screens everywhere.
    So I agree Honda seem to have lost their way a bit... I wouldn't mind a go in the new Type-R though!

The Mazda you refer to looks to be a nice car but are they not part of ford now? So have you considered a Mondeo? I think they are very similar cars... I may be completely wrong though.
  13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

They parted ways in 2010 I believe and modern Mazdas are their own design.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

What about the new Infiniti Q30?

^^ To be fair, I drove the automatic which may be a different set up - but after a test drive (and during it from memory) I told the salesman that I couldn't live with it as the engine was so noisy and unrefined in comparison with my Accord diesel. He said they'd had that feedback from quite a few people coming from other marques.

I suppose that could be why the deal I was offered was so amazing! It wasn't a tactic, it was what I felt - but everybody is different, so if you are happy with it then go for it!

Honda has certainly lost its way in the UK. Big sigh. :no:
  15. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In reply to some of the above points:
    • tonygw - Mazda parted company with Ford a while ago and Mazda now produce some innovative good handling cars - try Googling Skyactiv technology. Mazda reliability seems good and the cars we get in the UK are manufactured in Japan.
    • tonygw - I looked at the Mercedes C Class but the reliability record is poor, it has a very poor ground clearance / breakover angle and it's made in South Africa.
    • FirstHonda - The Mazda 3 I drove was the 2.0 lite petrol (no turbo thank goodness). Were you driving a diesel version? I thought the auto box with the 2.0 petrol engine was excellent but Mazda have just stopped selling the Fastback Mazda 3 with the auto gearbox which I was on the point of buying!
    • FirstHonda - Infiniti might be good cars but there are very few dealers - the nearest one to me is over 40 miles away so this is not a realistic proposition.
    I'm probably not a typical UK car buyer since I don't like diesel cars nor hatchbacks! The only car I've seen which I consider better than my Accord is the Lexus IS 300H. However, it failed the ground clearance / breakover angle test due to having such a low chassis. I note a new Civic will be on sale next year but early reports suggest it will have lower ground clearance so that probably won't be suitable.

The problem with many modern car designs is that the wheelbase keeps being extended to improve handling and interior space but there is rarely any compensating increase in ground clearance. This results in a poor breakover angle and the inability to negotiate a steep driveway or severe speed bumps without damaging the car. The only solution is to buy a SUV, a car from a company that still offers suitable ground clearance (e.g. Mazda) or an expensive Subaru.
  16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

@sc489 just a usability tip.. if you add @ sign before anyone's name, it will tag and notify them. :Smile: just like I did with your name.
    FirstHonda likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ I was driving the same petrol / auto, and the Fastback as well. Like I said, nice interior, ludicrous discounting but I personally couldn't live with such a noisy and unrefined car. The gearbox was fine from memory, it was just the noise and vibration along with the crashy ride. Despite the deal on offer, I walked away.

Shame about Infiniti. I know when they launched they collected and delivered for servicing regardless of where you lived, leaving a courtesy car. It doesn't mention that on their website, so I guess they've discontinued that - maybe worth asking the question?

The other one that springs to mind is the Nissan Pulsar. I've read good things about that.
  18. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Sorry for butting in but I find it really strange that most Accord owners don't even consider the Civic but will consider smaller cars from other manufacturers. I mean Mazda 3, Nissan Pulsar and Civic are all in the same category ... am I missing something? :Smile:
  19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I like the Civic a lot, but many don't. It is quite an old car now too...
  20. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

That is true actually. new one is due end of the year .. and it has grown almost to sit between the Accord and the Civic..