Off-Topic What do i need

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Wednesday 19th Dec, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I decided that from spring I will be doing my own basic servicing and maintenance on my car.
    I am looking to get together few things that I might need.
    I don't have a garage so sadly I can't have something like Speedy or CJ but will buy fair bit of kit.
    I need everything so need the lot.And i mean everything jack,stands etc etc.Question I have is what do I need and where do you buy your tools for yourself?
    Any recommendations what to buy and where please post it here.
    Anyone knows of any deals anywhere please let me know.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Choices galore mate. Depends what your budget is Zoran.

I've got a blue point 77 piece socket set, like this one Snap-on BLUE POINT 77 Piece 3/8 Socket Set New | eBay but its only £130 direct from Snap On guy. Let me know if want to get it I'll get in touch with the local Snap On guy.

I picked my jack after plenty of research it's an Arcan 2 ton heavy duty low profile quick lift. Arcan 1.8 Ton/Tonne Aluminum Car Service Trolley Jack Quick Lift bought online. Its a light, stable quality jack. Highly recommended. I don't like those fragile looking jacks you get from Halfords.

Stands are heavy duty 2 ton Clarke stands. Go for big strong stands not those puny ones from Halfords.

Both my torques wrenches are Clarke (two because one covers low range torques and the other one covers higher range).

An electric high torque impact wrench is also very hand. Air impact would be better but without a garage getting a compressor is pretty pointless.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks Speedy
    Much appreciated,I will get in touch regarding socket set.
    For some reason I can't open those link on my phone but will have a look over the weekend and get back to you.
    I don't have set budget,will buy things over next few months..
    Keep em coming.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Also add to the list spark plug feel gauge, set of spanners, oil filter removal chain, oil drain pan, funnel.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have the arcan jack with you can pick up at Costco , have cheap Halfords axle stands so far haven't collapsed.

Plus one for blue point socket set i have Halfords pro been using them for 6 years and they are solid. Torque wrenches re again halfords and have been yearly calibrated with certificates.

I want to buy some snap on gear speedy I will tap you if you have some connections for snap on agent.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yeah sure, if you need anything from Snap on agent let mw know.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Just waiting for my yearly bonus then I will be intouch.:Wink:

8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just something to consider, I may be the laugh of our workshop as the other techs can not believe my tool box, I had one on fri look in my box because he can,t believe I can do the job with what I have, most my tools will possibly fit in one of these guys huge tool chests drawers. The secret is to buy what you need and not what you want,a nice socket set looks good but most of those sockets you will not use,some might even be in AF and not even metric, find out the main tools you need to do a basic service and build up your kit from there,Machine Mart looks good for tools to me but can,t recommend as we do not have one in Jersey,

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can give a thumbs on for Halfords Pro stuff. Good quality and had mine for years with no issues. They usually have a large set on half price for £99.99. It has three ratchets, sockets, Torx bits, spanners and ratchet spanners. All with a lifetime guarantee.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I understand where your coming from. A lot of my tools come from my student days when I didn't have much money so bought budget. Recently though I've started replacing these with quality tools. Wow what a difference it makes to have a quality tools. There's no frustration, there's no slippage, there's no damage done to nuts and bolts. It makes for a more pleasurable experience working on a car.

So my advise is buy the best quality you can for the budget you have.

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I would do it this way too Zoran - starting with what's needed for an oil change and taking it from there.

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for all suggestions and links.
    Speedy will be in touch as soon as i see how much Christmas bonus my greedy boss decided to give me this year.
    I plan just to buy things i really need for now,not having a garage doesnt help.

13. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I also have the Halfords pro socket set, bought it over ten years ago. Nothing has broke yet.
    Also have arcan jack from Costco.
    Torque wrench essential,.

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Me to I have halfords pro tools many are years old now and never had any problems. Worked on everything from land rover to golfs to audi and mercs and now Hondas no issues at all.
    My jack is halfords to as are stands and ramps and again are quite old. Jack is too low and need a new higher lift one to get the front end of the accord high enough.

Buy little and often as and when you need it, will soon build up..

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    got my bonus today! I can be a bull in a china shop:Happy: tools here we come.

16. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

??-hmmmm

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Back off misses you ain't getting a penny of this..