Engine & Gearbox What have I done to her?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Phil1978, Sunday 12th Jan, 2014.

1. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Evening all, really hope someone can help with this one :SOS:

I got my car in today and gave her a service, all oils and filters changed, thinking to myself how easy the Accord was to work on, happy days, then I got round to the fuel filter change, got it out fine, all stripped and new one ready to go, I then noticed that the top of the new filter was different and it wouldn't work,

Old
    20140112_143443_zpsn82qf6dg.

New
    20140112_143447_zpsugchqwfx.

So I stripped it back down and built the old filter back up to just to get the car going until I got the correct one, so refitted the filter, all connected, tried to start and it wouldn't, turned the ignition on and off a few times hoping the pump just needed priming, but it still wouldn't start, I then took the pipe off the top of the filter and turned the ignition on and fuel shot out, so refitted it and removed the feed pipe to the fuel rail, turned the ignition on again a couple of times and fuel shot out at what seemed a reasonable rate, so I refitted it and tried starting again, still nothing. Is it just a case of needing the correct new filter fitting, or could I have done something else without knowing? I did manage to snap one of the small retaining clips that secure the filter to the flange on the old filter, could this have any affect?

Apologies for the long story but this has really annoyed me, just can't think what is wrong, it was running perfectly before I touched the fuel filter.

Last edited: Sunday 12th Jan, 2014
  2. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

having a problem with my car but mine is spark are you getting a good spark ? fuel sounds fine :Search:

3. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    TBH I didn't check that side of things as it did run for a bit after I was naughty and used easy start :Nuked:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That new fuel filter that is not a Genuine one is it? I am wondering if the fuel cut off valve has been triggered ..but that gets trigger in a collision only?

5. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    It is a genuine filter from HH, you can't see from the dodgy pic but it has Honda on it the same as the old filter.

It has to be something I've done:ShelfShoot: I literally had it running, turned it off to check the ATF, then went into the back to do the filter, hopefully my local Honda will have the right filter and HH will do a refund.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HH would have provided the a genuine part just surprised not to see denso marking unless these filters are being made in Europe! you will need a OBD reader to see what the fuel system is doing really.. I will look up the troubleshooting chart.

You got the fuel filter packaging still can you attach pictures?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You got your WSM yet look up "Fuel Pump Circuit Troubleshooting"

8. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Unfortunately I have left the box at work, but I have just looked at the invoice and the part No is different to the sticker on the old filter, new:16010-sdce-01, old:17708-sed-023

Hasn't arrived yet, I'll be taking the filter out again tomorrow when I get chance, hopefully I'll spot an obvious mistake/fault. I did a scan with my cheap OBD reader and no faults were found, not sure how much I trust it though.

9. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Quick update, got the new filter Tuesday and finally got around to fitting it today, reconnected the battery, primed it a couple of times turned the key and she fired straight up:Happy:

I'm going to dismantle the old filter tomorrow and try to see what caused it not to start.

As you can imagine I'm a very happy and relieved man.

10. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Did you find the fault with the filter? be very interested to know what the problem was. I'm sure you big time relieved its back working again?
    incidently, where is the fuel filter on the 2.4 accord? I have a 2.4 tourer and its something perhaps worth changing?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Good to hear mate, sounds like everything's running smoothly again with her :Thumbup:

12. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    The filter did look pretty dirty, but not bad enough to prevent starting
    20140119_064927_1_zps8edzjzl8.

The other thing I spotted but can't be sure if it happened during the strip down or during the previous rebuilt was an incorrectly seated o-ring on the regulator
    SEA3EM0A20326427601KBAD01.png2.
    When correctly seated this o-ring closes a pair of contacts (not sure what they do)
    The filter is positioned under the rear seat, there is a guide here:http://hondakarma.com/threads/130/

Cheers mate, good to have her back, she seems a much smoother drive after the service, glad I did it all apart for this hiccup

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014