Suspension, Steering and Brakes What is this knocking sound???

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by legend-ary, Monday 16th May, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Can someone help me as to possible causes of this knocking sound?? I thought it was the exhaust but I got it changed this weekend but it didn't even make 1% difference on the sound. The ball joint seem to be ok no play whatsoever ..you can put the volume but the sound is very clear and is captured by my dashcam.. it has gone worse over past month or so...

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Rear anti-roll bar bushes or rear drop links?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sounds like it's coming from front, could be front ARB bushes.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I just had a look and rear is solid beam axle so no ARB there.. the front right has a minor play in it.. but will that make so much noise?? I have heard many horror stories of people trying to replace ARB links so I take the advice is against attempting a DIY if I don't have means to cut things off??

Rear:
    IMG_2050.JPG

Front:
    IMG_2051.JPG

5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Drop links are known to fail and they will cause knocking like that. I would check your outer steering rod ends for any play too. If you can feel the play with your hands, then its magnified hugely when the car is in motion.

They, (drop links) arent hard to change as such, but they will put up a fight so I certainly wouldn't attempt it if you havent got the tools to deal with it if it goes wrong.

Sounds like drop links to me. What condition are the ARB rubbers in? Cracked? Pliable still? etc

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I think I didn't find any sort of play in any component down there except the FR droplink. I haven't checked the bushes but can certainly do that.. .a bit hard to reach but should be able to poke with a screwdriver I suppose..

7. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    I'd double check all the lower components first as drop a link or bushing seems most likely, but worn strut top mount bearings can also cause some funky knocking.
    Not sure of a good means of diagnosis for the top mount i'm afraid, found out the er, fun way on the Civic when taking out the strut!

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Okay so plan for tomorrow is to take off both from wheels with car on jack stands and looks for play in components but as you said front top mounts will be impossible to figure.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  9. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Best of luck, hope it proves to be simple and inexpensive to diagnose and fix.

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

So the knocking sound has definitely gone much worse over past few weeks.. Took both wheels off to see if I can spot anything and one thing caught my eye. The passenger side steering rod end was all 'wet' looking unlike the driver's side. Couldn't see any play though... :/

Passenger Side
    IMG_4113.JPG IMG_4114.JPG

Driver's Side
    IMG_4118.JPG

Also .. this is the wishbone/compliance bush that was changed 6 months ago..
    IMG_4116.JPG

while this is the one that wasn't ... does this look ok?
    IMG_4117.JPG

11. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hmmn! Those bushings look decidedly unhealthy even to my untrained peepers.

The track rod end could be leaking grease from the boot, but the stain looks a little far flung from the point of origin, i'd be tempted to suggest the moisture stems from another source.

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I am leaning towards the driver's side compliance bush as well. The passenger side wishbone was changed 8 months ago so looks a lot less worse..
    The track rod end did have a hint of grease around it but it was rock solid but I couldn't figure out where is all the wetness coming from as everything else was dry around it.
    - - - Updated - - -
    actually found a pic of what the passenger side looked like when that wishbone was replaced to cure ball joint issue.. It never knocked but ball joint was definitely bad.. The driver's side does look similar to this atm.
    90287_IMG_1982.

and a photo of driver's side at the time.. it looks like it hasn't changed at all .. I am tempted to conclude that this new noise actually might not be it :s

Driver's side Sep' 2015
    90286_IMG_1990.
    Driver's side July 2016
    IMG_4117.JPG

13. Nighthawk Guest

Yr tie rod end is leaking. You can't see the play mate you need to feel it with yr hands. Grab the tie rod end and twist it back and forth. If you can do this and make it knock then its definitely on its way out. Id change them both anyway as the one is leaking.

That compliance bush isnt seated properly. Id replace that too

k20a3 and BB Baboonface like this.
  14. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes that compliance bushing has come out of place or was never put in right. That outer ring should be flush with the arm.
    You might be able to hammer it flush, but to be safe I would get a new one pressed in. They are not expensive even from Honda.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Actually the closer I look at that picture the more it looks like a new bushing is needed.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also it looks as though both the bushing and leaking track rod end are on the near side? That's the side that takes all the abuse from drain covers etc...
    I would be tempted to change the track rod end too!

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

The wheels were off and car on jack stands when this photo was taken so the suspension is hanging down which is why it probably look worse.
    Which bushing ? the compliance one? I think on Jazz its all part of whole wishbone. I had to replace a ball joint and even Honda its cheaper to replace the whole wishbone.
    bushing is on driver's side, leaking track rod end is on passenger side. passenger's side wishbone was replaced a year ago.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I guess it better if the change the following:

a. driver's side wishbone (includes bushing)
    b. driver's side droplink
    c. passenger side steering rod end

k20a3 likes this.
  16. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The compliance bushing is a rubber bushing attached to a metal circular sleeve which fits inside the arm. I did the ones on my ev1. Getting it out was harder than pushing it in. I used a hacksaw to cut out most of the rubber bush. Then used the hack saw to very carefully cut through the metal sleeve of the bushing in two places at opposite points. Then used a hammer and chisel to remove the metal sleeve. It popped out and the I Pressed the new one in easily.
    I think cost wise it's about 1/3 of the price of replacing the whole arm with an aftermarket one. If you use Honda it's about 3 or 4 times the price!

If cost is no matter then the whole arm is a good option, yes.

legend-ary likes this.
  17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    A few months ago I fitted a pair of aftermarket lower suspension arms to my Accord because the compliance bushes had failed on both sides. I'm glad I didn't just replace the compliance bushes, as the other bushes on the original suspension arms also showed signs of wear.

legend-ary likes this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    In Asia you can get genuine Honda compliance bushes for the Jazz but over here they only sell the entire arm which I can't understand the 7th and 8th Generation Accords we can buy those bushes separately!

legend-ary likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

@legend-ary . If you are going to change the one drop link and tie rod end I would consider changing on both sides. They arent expensive and they have both done the same amount of work. If one has failed, the other side won't be too far behind

legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.