General What is this ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbtb, Friday 13th Feb, 2015.

1. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom john batt Uxbridge
    Hi all if you can see the pic I've tried to add can you tell me what it is ! It's on a 1999 honda accord! Should there be something on or in the tube please ?

20150213_113540.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 14th Feb, 2015
  2. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Where abouts in the engine bay is it? Kinda looks like the slave cylinder fork, it defo should not be open and exposed like that.

3. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi it's on the drivers side of the engine just beneath the distributor cap ! Wondered if the metal tube is meant to be open like that or have something attached !

4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    exec, Chunkylover53 and Nels like this.
  6. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Not sure to be honest, the obvious concern would be some foreign object getting in. But having never stripped anything like this I don't know if the opening is directly into the gearbox or if a wire mesh filter is positioned in there for example

You'd probably get the part for less from Holdcroft Honda so call it about a fiver,or you could hunt around a scrappy but doubt you would save in time and travel.

8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agreed, it looks like a Gearbox vent or breather pipe and should idealy have a cap on it to prevent nasty stuff going down there and WATER, which you don't want in your gearbox oil. Admitedly, the last time I had one off, it was on a Vauxhall Astra, and that was bolted in place. You should, as Andy says, be able to get one for cheap from a scrap yard, providing that they have some 6th Generation Accords in stock, failing that try hunting on Civics and Jazz models, as I am sure they may posses the same bung. Or as Andy says contact the club affiliated Honda dealer (Holdcroft Honda) state you are from Honda Karma and enjoy discounted delivery.

exec likes this.
  9. jbtb Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you all for help with this issue

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Definitely gearbox breather and normally has a cap as stated.

Aside from @AndyB1976's points, if it was to become blocked your transmission fluid couldn't breath. The moving parts in the box cause the MTF to froth and breather's job is to relieve the extra pressure, without this relief the pressure would try and release itself somewhere else, normally one of the seals on the box will be the first to go, obviously a big issue.

Given the price @jbtb I'd just order a new cap from @Holdcroft Honda :Smile:

AndyB1976, exec and Harvey like this.