Tyres & Wheels what lurks beneath ?

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by stuscrv, Thursday 21st Jan, 2016.

1. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    As you can see from the photo my spare is in a rather fetching hard cover on bumps rear. I noticed ( so did MOT guy ) rear ns tyre wall cracked so as we drive motorways thought I'd better change it. I'm disgusted with myself for not checking its condition after owning car for two years. Apart from numptys who run out of juice not having spare is my second hate! Don't get me wrong I know its got air in it and if the tread was dodgy it would still get me home ( naughty I know ) So I prepare to change the wheel, grasp the zip firmly, couple of tugs - - - crash I end up in the flower bed with zip still firmly in my hand. I don't think its been off in years, still firmly zipped tight, rusted up and covered in algae I've tried WD/40, pliers, hammer ( that's all my toolkit ) nope can't shift it.
    The black elasticated part is rotten and starting to split so I've given up. What lurks beneath ? It could be a brand new expensive tyre, or with my luck an illegal remould ! Shame cos it looks like I'm going to have to cut it off and then try and find a colour matched replacement.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    photo ?

3. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Mmmm ok didn't really go as planned, my profile photo is always next to whatever I write so I thought - - - - wrongly ! Will try and resolve don't tell anybody but its taken over a week to get this far !

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    From what I understand is that the zipper broke and you can't get it opened to check what kind of spare is there. And once you have it off, you are thinking it might be difficult to source a colour matched spare cover.
    hmm.. you should really try and get your garage entry sorted. I don't know what you can't upload the photos from your tablet so maybe ask a @staff member to sort you out.

5. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Thanks but I didn't try to upload photo, every time I look at your messages there's a picture of your car next to it. Does my picture appear next to what I write? If so that's what I intended as its a picture of spare carrier. If not back to the drawing board Ed ! Your right I don't think I can remove cover without destroying it. My bro runs one in the Dominican rep. When he came to need it the bolts were completely rusted and had to be cut off with a torch !

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

The pic next to your post is a tiny photo just to show who is posting. If you add your car to garage, the pics that you will upload will be high resolution allowing everyone to see the details. even in this post if you upload the same photo it will be bigger sized. give it a try!

7. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I will, its just while I'm here I don't know all the info asked for. Also as I'm on this tablet ie I can enlarge your profile photo to like 6/6 inches. I forgot perhaps not poss on a PC. Please forgive my lack of skills on here, the invention of the transistor blew me away !

8. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    you can put any picture into a post

e.g. this random image on the web ... http://www.newton.ac.uk/files/covers/968361.jpg

can be "embedded" into this post

so when they ask for a picture, what they mean is "can you take a close up of the issue and upload it into a post so that we can see it better"

9. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Far too complicated for me lol, I'm sure its not that important but if I push on your profile picture it fills the screen on my tablet. So assumed everyone could do that. No close ups anyway as bumps over 2k away, boy I miss her.

10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

click on that embedded picture in my previous post (#8) it will be much bigger than my "avatar" (profile picture)

11. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    I really appreciate all your help, I will sort all this soon hopefully with your help? I'm of to the beach catch you all later.'

12. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can we join you on the beach too LOL

13. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    The zips are a known weak point, I had a universal black plastic cover on my 1st Generation but that was black so it was colour coded In a way.

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

how many snorkeling points have you got now?

jimjams likes this.