Fuel Efficiency What MPG to expect?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Tom75, Monday 7th Dec, 2015.

1. Tom75 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tom Shipley
    Hi. I've just become the proud owner of a FR-V - introduced myself yesterday and becoming familiar with the forums. What MPG should I hope to get out of it? Most trips will be short ones (school run, shops). It'll go further at the weekends but not much motorway driving. It's a 2 litre petrol. Manual.
    Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think you'll probably get 25-30MPG around town.

3. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    ditto SpeedyGee for town running - for motorway work you can easily get into the 40's if you're a good boy and don't cane it too much.

4. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    We have a 1.8 petrol ('06) and I can get ~43mpg on a long run and ~40mpg around town. My wife only gets 36-37mpg (and has just been on a speed awareness course ^^)

RobsyUK likes this.
  5. Tom75 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Tom Shipley
    Thanks everyone - I'll let you know how it performs once we've driven it a decent amount. At the moment it is reporting a figure in the low 20s but I have no idea how the previous owner drove. The car sounds and feels just fine so I'm assuming they must have just spent a lot of time in slow traffic stopping and starting...

6. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you "reset the trip counter" (by pressing and holding the selector on the "trip option" on my model) it will reset/restart the "MPG counter". It did take me six weeks however to discover that the car had a trip & MPG counter so either it's not obvious or I am thick.

7. abs_n Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    I have a 1.8 petrol manual and my average MPG is about 28 MPG.
    You have to bear in mind I only do short journeys so I am happy as i didn't buy it for fuel efficiency!
    I wanted reliability and so far so good, touch wood!
    I am sure the MPG would be better if my journeys were longer.

8. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sheffield to Manchester return journey today, via the A57 snake pass, 2 adults, 4 kids and a pram, 77 miles total, computer indicated 34.2 MPG. And anybody familiar with the snake will know that that's spinning the VTEC some and putting a lot of fuel straight into the brakes, so to speak.

PP

9. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom cya Plymouth
    Drove from plymouth to west sussex round trip this weekend and computer shows average 34mpg!
    Much better than I expected, provided that I occasionally near red line the car for a bit of fun, although I am a good boy to stay 70mph on motorway :Wink:

Bones126 likes this.
  10. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    My current average is 16.9. It use to be around low 20s but has got progressively worse over the last few months, kind of coincided with the start of winter. However mon-fri consists of a 0.5m each way journey. On a longer motorway journey have got about 38mpg, still considerably lower than the 44pmg that I got the day i bought the car!

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    cya_lai likes this.
  12. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@iceman2010 16.9 is kind of awful isn't it? Have you had your car serviced, it could have a huge impact if you haven't properly done it?

13. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Car had a major service 2 weeks ago so should be ok on that front. When changing gears it does seem to rev higher before settling which might have something to do with it? And my other thought was possibly the clutch where the biting point is almost to the top but does seem to be behaving properly.

14. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@iceman2010 TPS or O2 sensor perhaps? It still doesn't sound right though for that MPG, are you on cruise control while driving on motorway? Reason I ask is cruise control can bypass the sensors which may explain the better fuel consumption.

15. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Haven't used cruise much on the motorway on the few outings that i've had. Now I do get a really odd smell from the emissions at times, like gassy smell sometimes quite harsh. Someone suggested it may be the cat not burning off the waste properly as on the very short journeys it doesnt get hot enough?

16. cya_lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It sounds more like a bad O2 sensor to me so the AF is calculated wrong and so more fuel is putting in. On cruising speeding since the fuel map is optimized fuel economy so i guess the O2 sensor reading is bypassed.

17. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    May be worth doing an EGR clean as this does help with MPG, especially if it's really blocked or not working correctly.

18. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

We have just had the front disks and pads replaced and the rear calipers cleaned as they were binding. I knew they were bad as it had taken 5mpg off my wife's average. She is back up to 38-39 again now.

19. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had the rear caliper binding problem on mine last year, the pulsating noise and smell were a bad shock at 6:30 in the morning! I think one of the moderators has advised that the calipers should be checked/ cleaned annually as a preventative measure.

D

20. iceman2010 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Did a 40mile round trip the other day, mostly A roads including about 40mins of traffic. Reset the trip before setting off and on return the avg MPG 35.2