Suspension, Steering and Brakes What rear brake pad wear do people get?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hondream, Wednesday 14th Sep, 2016.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    On the back of this post by sc489 :-

"What rear brake pad wear do people get? I need to replace the rear pads on my Accord SE (has no VSA) about every 25000 miles. A Google search suggests this is a 'feature' of this model due to the brake design. Front brake pad wear is fine - I got 40000 miles + before changing them. I don't brake heavily so the car design must be the issue."

Don't know if it's just my eyes, but there seems to be more brake dust on the rear alloys then there is on the front ones.
    Car is 2.4 facelift.
    Anyone else notice this at all?
    Brakes seem to be working ok.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

7th Generation rear calipers are prone to 'sticking' and therefore need more frequent inspection. A thorough annual cleaning is also a good idea.

hondream and Nighthawk like this.
  3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Agree with above, mine wore pretty bad and it was down to a sticky rear calliper. I have done both sides now.
    I rekon it might need new pads again next year though. But the calipers are fine now

hondream likes this.
  4. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Simon I used to get the same on my old 7th Generation but get 35k on my 8th Generation

hondream likes this.
  5. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep my 2.0 petrol SE eats rear pads about every 25k. I worked out after a Google search this is a 'feature' of the car's design. This is the only problem I've had with thr car which I've had from new and has been outstandingly reliable. I guess the Honda engineer who designed the rear brakes had a bad dayy and under specified the rear brakes. I put Mintex pads and discs on the rear last year an these have been fine so far.

hondream likes this.
  6. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Mine's done over 30k since the previous owner changed them, and it looks like there's still a fair bit of wear left.
    No doubt I'll have to replace the discs 'coz of corrosion long before the pads wear out...:Frown:

hondream likes this.
  7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't forget the VSA system uses rear braking as a countermeasure to aid stability. So if you enjoy throwing the car in to corners you will wear your rear brake pads out a lot sooner than the more conservative motorist.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Correct Gaz.

The early EP3 were prone to wear the rear pads faster than the fronts. My 2012 Accord ADAS chewed all it brakes in 25K miles and that with the misses driving it all the time with ADAS on . That include CMBS , ACC and VSA so it hammers the brakes to maintain that driving pleasure,

hondream likes this.
  9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks CJ

SayamaAccord likes this.
  10. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't think my SE Accord has VSA so that doesn't explain the poor rear brake wear.

11. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    My rears often wear out before the front, no VSA on my bus.

So yes, common enough feature on the 7th Generation, but looking at the part numbers in Lings, it seems that the rear calipers are a carry over from the 6th Generation, so I wonder if there's more durability in fitting 6th Generation rear pads assuming they fit??

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    7th Generation, 2.0l Type-S, no VSA, it's all me :Smile:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which year is this find that hard to believe, ? All UKDM 7th Generation models have had VSA apart from the 2.0 SE

15. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    2007/8, mine's an Irish car, so probably a different spec albeit the same factory as the UKDM's.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Does your dash not got a VSA button really surprised to see why an Irish facelift car won't have VSA can you post a picture of right lower dashboard please.

17. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    Nope, no VSA button, nor light on dash, i'll post a pic later....

18. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It can't be a Type-S then it has to be a SE does your car have electronic power steering? If does then your car is some wired regional car not made for the Ireland market but is a RHD.

I take it your seats are not part leather either?