General What should I have done?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Thursday 22nd Aug, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I was walking back to my car when I saw an old lady in a very old Peugeot ram into the Nissan parked on the left of me. Initially I just ran towards her and asked if she was okay. She just nodded and grunted at me. Afterwards she proceeded to reverse from the rear end of the car and was racing the engine like crazy. Then she just went on her way without leaving any info whatsoever despite the fact that she has severely damaged her headlamp and the bumper and left rear indicators of the Nissan. I decided to wait and see what she does because I felt sorry for her and the owner of the Nissan.

She parked successfully further down the car park and inspected her headlamp then just walked on into the store. So I ended up noting her number plate and left it on the Nissans windscreen. What else could I have done?

I should probably also add that she had very little control of the steering wheel and clutch and honestly can't believe that she is legally allowed to drive.

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In my opinion you done the right thing.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes you did the right thing.if the Peugeot driver was not bothered to stop and do the right thing.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    "Hit and run"... illegal. You did the right thing :Thumbup:

The Nissan owner will need the help of the police to track down the lady, also they will need a witness unless the lady confesses or has been caught on camera.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It sounds like a really tricky one, but think I would have done the same.

Perhaps, if the Police get involved, they will be able to convince the lady concerned (gently) that she ought to give up driving...before causing a more major issue with potential injuries.

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As speedy says its a hit and run but the nissan dude now needs to prove who did it.

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I was hoping that the Nissan owner would contact the police and the lady who hit the car but I think tesco car parks are private which means that the police won't get involved as far as I know?

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I thought that the road traffic act applied to "private" car parks as well as the public road, but happy for somebody who knows better to say different.

...and I think this covers it?

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/the-road-user-and-the-law

Last edited: Thursday 22nd Aug, 2013
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I stand corrected. Hopefully the Nissan owner works things out and the lady stops driving for her and others sake. The bus service here is pretty good to be honest and I should know seeing as I've used it daily for the last 8 years till I got my car.

10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would and have done the same thing having been on the receiving end of a hit and run in a car park before. The victim is at best left out of pocket or if they can't afford to pay for their repairs themselves out of pocket and facing higher insurance premiums.

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    You did what you thought was right and that's good enough. To be honest there are so many old people on the roads who should have long ago hung up their keys. We had a guy at work visit a doctor he drove into our fire escape TWICE in the same day writing off his fiesta on the second attempt having got one of the Drs to see he was ok it was apparent his cataracts were that bad he could not even see the fire escape or the pavement ! He no longer has a licence.. This lady is probably in the same boat. Just a matter of time before we all see on the news again that some poor pensioner has mowed down a bunch of kids on the pavement.
    You did the right thing bud.

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A few years back my mate was paying for his fuel when a car scraped passed his and drove off. He got the cctv footage and the police tracked down the guy. His insurance then had to pay for the damage.

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    You've left a note on the drivers car which was definitely the right thing. It's a shame more people don't do that, most just walk by. The victim should report it to the police as a hit and run, then the police will go and pay the old lady a visit to follow up on your information. They'll also take a look round her car to see if they can find any body damage with marks on the same colour as the victims car as evidence. The only thing extra you should have done was leave your own contact details to act as an independent witness.

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup you're right, I didn't leave any contact details. To be fair there were a good 5/6 witnesses who all didn't leave any details whatsoever which is why I didn't, and honestly if I hadn't thought about it from the owners perspective I wouldn't have left a note either.

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I saw the same car today at Tescos and it has been all fixed with sticky tape for the most part. This leads me to believe that an employee owns the car so hopefully they can use the CCTV to find the lady for what it's worth.

16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Did you leave another note on the car with your details offering yourself as a witness? They're probably only making minimum wage so doubt they'd be able to afford to repair it with out an insurance claim.

17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No, I only saw it because the owner had parked further away near the main road so I saw it at the red light. Should I go back and leave my number?

18. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I would, otherwise it may be quite hard for the victims insurance company to proceed with the claim if the old lady denies any wrongdoing without getting the police involved. Having an independent witness adds a lot of strength to the victims claim.

19. Tony7 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Shame there aren't more people around like you. May be worth calling the local police station is you have the details of the old lady's car and let them know what happened.

20. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Or you could go into the supermarket and ask if its an employees car and if so ask to speak to them and then give them your details.
    As stated they are probably on minimum wage and are struggling to get it repaired.
    I remember a girl that I used to work with some years ago went on her lunch break to a supermarket. She parked her car away from others (like we all do) she was walking towards the supermarket and heard a bang crash scrape noise!!!! She instinctively turned to see a Toyota running down the side of her car... The car continued past hers and parked in the space at the other side.
    As she approached the car ( this is not a racist thing guys just what she told us) an Asian gentleman in his 40's got out of the car as she approached him she said excuse me you've just ran along the side of my car he said oh go away young woman!!!!! She got a little irate at this and said no I won't go away you've hit my car I want your details, he turned quite sharply on her and said don't you speak to me in that tone of voice you are only a woman?? You can't speak to a man like that now go away?? Is that something to do with their culture I don't know. Anyway she kept on at him and said if you don't give me your details I'm calling the Police. His reply was call who you want woman!!!! Shit where did he get off talking to her like she was a piece of poo he'd trodden in. She lost the plot by this time and said look I've got your registration number so I'm calling the police and I'll talk to you how I feel you deserve to be spoken too(good girl).
    She said he then made some remark about her status(which I won't repeat) got into his car and drove off!!!!!!
    Now get this she called the Police who came to the car park she explained everything to them and said I've got his registration number to which the Police replied sorry love we can't do anything as this car park belongs to the supermarket it's private property and there's signs stating that cars are left at owners risk 'what' they weren't joking they said and even if we check the registration number it may not belong to the person anymore as they have a habit of passing cars on very quickly and nine times out if ten they don't insure or tax or register them?????
    Luckily one of my security team's brother was a serving officer no names as I think what he did was hush hush he checked the database and got the details for her which were passed to her insurance and her car was fixed pretty promptly.
    One thing that did come up was she went into the store to ask if they had CCTV ? Yes but we under the data protection act we can't release any videos for evidence!!!! Don't know if this still stands.
    So I would think that all help the owner could get would be extra beneficial. I know you probably feel for the elderly driver but put your car in the other persons place how would you feel???