General What sort of windscreen wipers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Sunday 24th Nov, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Driving back on the motorway the wipers made a horrible whining noise and I'm pretty sure I have to replace the blades. However I am posed with three different types of blade fittings and I want to see people's opinions on which one is the best.

1. Conventional blades
    Honda Accord Hatchback 1998 - 2003 : BOSCH SP22 Super Plus Standard Windscreen Wiper Blade 22 inch (550mm) & BOSCH SP19 Super Plus Standard Windscreen Wiper Blade 19 inch - In Stock

2. Conventional blades with a spoiler on drivers side
    Honda Accord Hatchback 1998 - 2003 : BOSCH SP22S Super Plus Spoiler Windscreen Wiper Blade 22 inch (550mm) & BOSCH SP19 Super Plus Standard Windscreen Wiper Blade 19 inch - In Stock

3. Retrofit Flat blades
    Honda Accord Hatchback 1998 - 2003 : BOSCH AR22U Aerotwin Retrofit Flat Windscreen Wiper Blade 22 inch (550mm) & BOSCH AR19U Aerotwin Retrofit Flat Windscreen Wiper Blade 19 inch (475mm)

I'm edging towards conventional blades with spoilers due to the better rain clearance at high speeds, however I am more than happy to be proven wrong by more experienced drivers..

2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Stick with stock they work well and genuine blades will last. Drivers has a spoiler fitted. Just as cheap to pick up from HH as a trip to Halfords

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will give HH a ring on Monday, I never planned on buying the blades from Halfrauds anyway. I looked up the price for a set on ECP with a driver spoiler and it came to £10.12 delivered for Bosch brand. Halfrauds wanted more than double for the same set!

Any reason as to why I shouldn't go for the retrofit flat blades?

EDIT: Just realised I cannot purchase from HH as they won't deliver to my uni address and asking my parents to post the items would just cost more and cause a hassle

Last edited: Sunday 24th Nov, 2013
  4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I personally think you should, not sure what the case is with your 6th Generation, but I fitted 7th Generation Facelift flat blades to my Pre-Facelift CL9 arms with no problems. Far better performance and a lot quieter.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I assume there wouldn't be any problems if I went with a good brand. So far its 1-1 then.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I just ordered some facelift blades for pre facelift CL9 same as DD did.

Should be a straight swap.

7. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Planning to get some facelift blades for mine, I assume HH will know what I mean if I ask for facelift blades?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yep they will.

9. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Cool, I'll add them to the service kit.

10. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
  11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do you guys see any difference between the flat blades and the conventional ones you had previously?

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    A lot quieter, marginally better coverage, just smoother and more refined in general.

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You had me at quieter :Wink:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

OK so believe it or not I only managed to fit the wipers a week ago. Firstly they are a LOT better than the conventional types in most respects. It clears rain water first time, it is pretty much silent and I get better coverage too. However the bad part is that due to the locking system, the middle of the wiper blades are a lot fatter and I notice them quite often. Not a distraction per say but if you're used to the conventional thin types then you will notice a big difference. BTW this is for a 6th Generation - either way I recommend them.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I can just imagine your head going back and forth with the wipers instead of looking at the road. Hypomotised by the fat wipers Lol

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's not that my eyes follow the wiper, it's just because the middle is so much larger than it used to be and when it goes past it is very obvious. I wish I kept the old blades to take before and after photos. That said it is obviously a matter of getting used to them, eventually my brain will just ignore it.

17. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I didn't know where to post so this was the first thread I came across under wiper blades so thought I'd post here.

I use the original wiper blades on my 8th Generation but they only seem to last 12 months. Is that normal? Has anyone tried anything different like the bosch aerotwin?

Also America sell the blade inserts for about $5!

How to replace Honda Accord EX-L V6 Windshield Wi…:

18. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I've been using OEM all the time, but now I've tried Denso, which are hybrid I mean they're mix of classic and flat wipers, very pleased with them, paid about same price as for OEM £28ish

19. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"But once brought in on top range cars, it may later be rolled out for mass production cars at an estimated cost of about £10 per vehicle."

All we need to do this is for the Chinese to steal the plans, mass produce them and we can retrofit them.

DeviateDefiant likes this.