Introductions what to look for ??

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ragnar, Tuesday 22nd Mar, 2016.

1. Ragnar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ragnar Rochester
    Hi everyone,

Its nice to find somewhere that loves the Honda as much as me. Although I've yet to take the plunge. I'm getting rid of my van and buying my first car can you believe, and I've decided its gonna be an Accord Tourer (i have a kayaking addiction). I've looked at some of the threads on here and these cars look amazing, i'm looking forward to starting my own.

Thanks

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello @Ragnar and welcome to HK!
    as you mentioned, there are plenty of threads covering all aspects of 7th and 8th Generation Tourers. Familiarize yourself with common faults such as power tailgate operation etc to make sure you get the best example within your budget. Which model are you planning to go for? 7th or 8th? Petrol or Diesel?

3. Ragnar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi legendary

i was interested in a diesel 2.2 i CTDi EX, 07 plate. 7th Generation isn't it? i've been checking out the brochures and it seems there are a lot of extras. A lot of extra things to go wrong that is. All my previous vehicles have been basic models , not even an electric window so i'm a little apprehensive to say the least.

Is there a thread which would give me the common faults ? Or do i need to get down to some serious research?

Thanks for the reply

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Yep 07 with I-CDTI is 7th Generation. They tend to be pretty reliable however depending on age and service history there are bound to be some faults. At the moment we don't have a master list of faults but the issues have been listed time and again.

From on top of my head DMF/Clutch, centre top LCD and rear tailgate are the most common issues on these.

This is for a petrol version but have a look.
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/buying-advice.21767/live

more threads on this:
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/buying-advice.1263/live
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/inter...preciate-advice.18202/live?page=1#post-140317

Zebster and FirstHonda like this.
  5. Ragnar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you, i can see their will be many hours of reading before friday. Its got a good service history but yes it will be getting on in years so I'm expecting some problems, as long as i can put them right i'll be happy.

Thanks again

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Most of these issues like LCD and power tailgate can be solved if you are willing to put a bit of effort in. Clutch is one thing you need to be absolutely sure about as replacing that and DMF will ruin all savings so take your time :Smile:

7. Ragnar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Definitely! a clutch change is a little to much for even me especially if i need to drop the subframe!

8. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Welcome to the forum.
    Lots of Honda lovers here :Smile:

Have a look here if you haven't already - lots of info and bedtime reading
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/faq-faults-wealth-of-information-inside.4643/live

Will you be doing alot of miles?
    Get a petrol if not, petrol will cost abit more to run but are much more reliable. LOL
    The 7th gens are well known now and most faults are covered in some respect

Quick run down on diesel faults
    -VSA stability control can go faulty - should have been a recall but old units still out there
    -Manifolds crack - lets fumes in the cabin - again recall and should have already been done. Some cars still have the old ones fitted
    -clutch can slip - common wear factor on diesels
    -DMF can be worn - clutch pedal usually vibrates when lifting off - again - common wear item
    -drive shafts are known to go faulty - usually felt by vibrating when accelerating hard - can be mistaken for unbalanced wheels - so can be hard to find on a test drive
    - Alternator bearings can fail - again should be a recall - Honda updated the aux belt routing - the old routing caused stress on alternator taking out its bearings
    - timing chain rattle - usually found on pre 2003 -2005 models but if lack of oil service can appear on facelifts - service history and regular oil changes vital

Other issues
    - HFT - hands free modules can fail and not connect
    - DVD lasers on the sat nav can die - usually if copied discs are used
    - rear calipers can seize - common on all Hondas. more common on tourers are they are slide piston type and seize easier
    - airbag recall - passenger airbag has been recalled by honda and is currently live at the moment.

Its does sound like alot of faults but when compared to a German equivalent its not that much. lol

Most of the faults above would have been rectified by now but always need to check and get proof that thos items have been sorted.
    The rest of the Accord is a great car - most of if not all the electrics in the cabin are reliable and would be rare to find a button in the cabin not working.

Joke aside. The I-CTDI can be a rewarding car to drive if you get the right one.

If its your first car then i would start with a petrol - much more easier to maintain

Hope this helps. There may be more issues but lunch time is over now - LOL

Zebster and FirstHonda like this.
  9. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi @Ragnar, the 2.2 I-CTDI engine is a peach. The good thing about this forum is that all potential issues are well documented which will help you considerably.

And lots of 7th Generation accord owners here who will be happy to help.

My specific advice is to try and get one that has had the exhaust manifold replaced (I've had 2 accord diesels and both have suffered from this - can be expensive), service using 0w30 fully synthetic oil every 7k miles or so and fill up with Shell V-Power nitro + diesel. :welcome:

10. Ragnar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello Accord_N22

First car not first diesel, I'm buying it for long runs up to North Wales full of kit with kayaks on the roof. As long its got all the history. i shouldn't have any problems its just the driveshaft, manifold, alternator, timing chain, clutch DMF & VSA oh and airbags! phew!!

Thanks for the daunting list of possible money haemorrhaging problems. Although i have in the past owned a 1984 auto mini so I'm used to this issue. just need to steer clear of them.

11. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    A forum member recently sold this GT Sport tourer. I think it looks fantastic with the Honda Blade alloys upgrade.

102826_Screenshot_2016-01-28-21-17-08.

12. Ragnar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi dbrooks65

thats exactly what I'm after!

dbrooks65 likes this.
  13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello:Bye:and:welcome:to:gohonda:Karma
    Now that you are an active member please note that you are eligible to vote for the Car of the Month and other awards to members

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma @Ragnar :Hey:

I see the lads have sorted you out with some great info. Please do shout if you need any more advice.

Last edited: Wednesday 23rd Mar, 2016
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Welcome to HondaKarma @Ragnar

Good luck with your search. Glad to see that you've already had lots of good information.

A 1984 automatic Mini you say? Interesting, I've had a 1982 HL, a 1986 Mayfair and a 1974 Clubman over the years, all with the ZF 4 speed auto box. Great fun - not exactly fast (!) but fun all the same...:Grin:

16. Ragnar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, all

SpeedyGee yes some fantastic stuff in those links kept me reading all day, and this will be the first place i come to if I need anything......... FirstHonda yes he's sitting in my garage feeling sorry for himself hasn't moved for a few years. i need to rebuild the box. or find the money once I've found someone to do it for me. a V. fun drive.

17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I used to have a 1980,1275GT. Wolf race alloys, spats on the arches, sunroof, twin webbers and recaros. (Army days). I sold it in 83 for an Alfa Sud green cloverleaf. The guy who bought it from me had it 3 months went out one night got drunk and rolled it down an embankment(*****). Never spoke to him again. I put hours into that car it stuck to the ground like nothing I've known and from a standing start it would leave a Porsche 911 for a little bit.
    Are you looking locally for tourer or further afield?

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:welcome: to HK @Ragnar
    There is a great deal of good advice. I had an I-CTDI, 7th Generation Accord saloon for 10 years. Absolutely fabulous, but I did look after her. Not everyone is like that.
    Good luck with your hunt.

MickyB likes this.
  19. Ragnar Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Micky B that's outrageous ! Can believe after all that work ! That's why I'm restoring it and keeping it .

I'm looking wherever I find one , I'm based in the north of Kent and I'm heading up to Cambridgeshire on Friday to have a look at a couple and there's a few in South Wales . So I think it's safe to say I'm willing to shop around to find à good example.from what I understand Honda stamps are a must and the mileage needs to add up. High mileage doesn't so much bother me but I don't need an ex cab !!

20. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll find a photograph out and put it on. I'll have a look around the car sites to see if there's anything for you.