General What Was The First Car You Owned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by numpty67, Monday 21st Apr, 2014.

1. numpty67 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

After posting a comment in "What's the worst car you've owned ?" thread it got me thinking about the first car I owned, actually bought with my own money.

Never one to follow the norm, I ended up getting a Fiat 126, a special edition no less. It was called the "Black" funnily enough it was black with orange tartan seats, orange stripes and a fabric folding sunroof. So cool, well I thought so anyway. :Blushing:

My Dad taught me to drive in it, he used to get up at 03.30 every morning so he could come with me as I drove to work (Bakery) to get extra practice before my test, then he would drive it back home, bless him, he hated it. I couldn't wait to pass my test so I didn't have to get the bus home.

Eventually the engine blew and I bought a Mini HL which funnily enough also had tartan seats, must be a Scottish thing.:Smile:

Anyway lets see what you had, some pics would be great!

Here is a picture of my actual car, what a beauty!!:Laughing:
    5776044535_e27296a214_z.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm actually in love, that little Fiat looks awesome. There's quite a few old Fiats in my family.

I'm young, but my first was an '02 Vauxhall Astra, 8V 1.6. I can't even remember the trim level now except to say it was poverty spec. All in all, she was a nice car to drive and really comfy. No where near as refined as an Accord and severely lacking in power - but I enjoyed her. I enjoyed her until all the mechanical problems started :Laughing:

rlb_astra-photos_old_03.JPG rlb_astra-photos_old_10.JPG

numpty67 likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Absolute luxury. That's what you two had !
    C reg 1965 Morris 1300 when I was a student.
    An absolute rust bucket. More Isopon than steel.
    If you've not seen one before, they were a bit like an elongated mini.
    Same series of engine, with a bypass hose that just loved to fail and a sub-frame equally useless.
    BUT, she filled a need. Don't have any photos, but I found these on the web.
    Just like my first car. . .
    Morris1300BAB197Hnearside. morris-1300-08.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My first car was a new Lada Riva 1200L. In beige.

Can't find any 'photos of it, know there are some somewhere. E578KNV, bought for me by my Father so I could learn to drive in a manual transmission (we were/are an all automatic driving family).

It was a terrible car in many ways - unreliable, not even slightly cool, heavy, slow...but some fond memories all the same!

First car I bought with my own money was my 1993 Daihatsu Charade CXi, in light blue metallic. One of the best cars I've ever owned, I still regret selling it to buy something "more practical" (a Hyundai Accent) after I got married. :Sobbing:

numpty67 and Nels like this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Do the women folk realise the sacrifices we've made for them ?

numpty67 likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    My first car is...a 6g Honda Accord, which I still have :Smile:

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Inspired by the great Honda brochures that Numpty67 has uploaded links to, I thought I'd see if I could find some of the old ones that I have. And so, found in the back of a cupboard, untouched for years...some great memories :Tongue:

Lada brochures - from my first car (Riva 1200L) in 1988, and a selection of earlier ones that must have come from regular Motor Show visits. I was always fascinated by the Eastern European marques for some reason. Must have driven my Dad mad...:Smile: Seem to remember liking the FSO Polonez quite a bit...

The actual brochure from when I got my late, and much missed, Daihatsu Charade (c1993). Also a Mira brochure from what was my local garage at the time. No idea why I kept that one. Was probably trying (and failing) to convince my then wife to get one!

A couple of randoms - Nissan Micra from when my Mother bought one in 1989, and Subaru Vivio which I remember was what I wanted her to buy either at that time or next. No idea why. Must have been the 4x4 thing...and it was a bit strange, and available automatic which was a must - and quite rare for small cars back in the day.

Some Morgan, again either from Motor Shows or my factory visit a few years ago. Great cars. Then, an Alfasud brochure that I can remember getting from the local garage in Amersham when my brother went to look at one in the mid-1970s. He never did get it - think we were window shopping.

Then the actual brochure from my Dad's Toyota Cressida - didn't know I still had that - the silver estate in the 'photo is exactly what he bought in 1978. Lastly, some Mini brochures, from when my Mother had them and Motor Shows again, and random Austin ones. One even had the official price list still inside.
    No Honda brochures though. In fact, as a child/young adult I can't remember even going to a Honda dealer... :Blushing: That has since been corrected though :OTT:

HPIM0448.JPG HPIM0449.JPG HPIM0450.JPG HPIM0451.JPG HPIM0452.JPG HPIM0454.JPG HPIM0455.JPG HPIM0456.JPG

DeviateDefiant, numpty67 and bijomaru like this.
  8. numpty67 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great stuff!!! Nothing better than looking at car brochures, a lot of good brochures there and very similar tastes to my own. I always loved little Japanese cars.

When I was much younger I used to go with my Dad usually on Sundays looking at cars and picking up the brochures from the showrooms. Good times.:Smile:

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Yes, me too - was always badgering to go looking at cars and picking up brochures. I can remember how exciting it was going to the motor show and coming back with bags full of brochures, badges, pens and other "stuff."

I don't think kids today get the same thrill, as last time I went (with a nephew a few years ago) they didn't give out brochures, you had to fill in a request and get them sent through the post. Am sure now it is all downloads. Boooooo - rubbish! :Rant:

numpty67 likes this.
  10. JamesVR Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

James
    My first car was a 1972 Vauxhall Viva SL automatic which was given to me by my old granny. Don't have any photos, and sadly it got written off at a nasty junction. :Frown:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Today you can download brochures and get multimedia via youtube, the age of the hardback will be over. No wonder at classic car shows there are so many stalls selling old brochures at top dollar.

old school is the way forward.

numpty67 and FirstHonda like this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I hadn't even thought what they might be worth...I could be sitting on a fortune LOL. Then again...:Wink:

numpty67 likes this.
  13. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    @FirstHonda I always liked the look of the Daihatsu Charade GTti, just never saw one on the road.

14. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

My first car was this fiesta, never had a single problem with it until someone stole the windows!
    image.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I wish I still had pictures of my earlier cars, 2nd Generation Civic and two 3rd Generation Accords :Sobbing:

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate did you check for then in that skip over the road? just a joke..

17. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Friends still joke about it today, "when did you notice they were missing, when the flies were hitting your face..."

John Dickson and FirstHonda like this.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^My Charade was the CXi (as they didn't do the GTti automatic) but still went pretty quick with its 1.3 16 valve engine. Loved that car, never did see many...until I went to China for the first time in the late 1990s, when I saw them everywhere :Messed:

19. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine was....don't laugh.... a Nissan Micra K11 1.0LX in Aquamarine got it for nothing from my mother so can't complain - put 93,000 miles on it and apart from a new clutch and timing chain replacement (which Nissan covered as gestre of goodwill) it never missed a beat.

tilf/slide sunroof, FM radio cassette with auto reverse - height of luxury!

Was rapid for it's size as well. Remember burning my mates Golf Driver 1.6 off in it loads of times.

20. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Nissan micra is not that bad, my brother has had 9 cars, everyone a Nissan. It all started with a Nissan Cherry like this!
    image.