General What Was Your First Ever Accord or Honda You Owned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neil, Thursday 3rd Oct, 2013.

1. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    Mine was a 3 door, 3 speed Hondamatic in Beige, Reg No: MBW 969S.

Bought it cheaply because it was suffering from the tin worm as the early ones did and it had been neglected, paid £800 for it in 1982.

I have done some checking and as far as I can tell it's not on the road anymore, probably doesn't exist, which is a shame.

It was in a bit of a sorry state when I bought it, but had the whole of the car rubbed down, resprayed in it's original colour.
    Had a new carb fitted and the head gasket replaced.
    Unfortunately I can't find any photographs of it, can't remember if I took any, didn't always do this, I do now though.
    What I do remember though is I used to run it on 3 star petrol which was really cheap for a gallon, something like 70p not like it is these days for a litre.
    I had it for 2 years and did about 10,000 miles, sold it for £2000 in 1984.

2. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

1966, CB92 125cc Supersport. EYB28C. A little flyer at 11k revs. Bought on the drip at 50 per cent deposit and £2 a month.
    First Accord in November, 1982. CYD763X. Hondamatic with overdrive - best transmission I ever had until the GM400 in my XJS and the autobox in my 8th Generation.

John Dickson and Neil like this.
  3. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    2003, 2.0 Civic Type-S, black paint, white dials, full leather and Sat Nav, cracking car. Fast quick and comfortable we were gutted when it went back after the wife changed her job.

Do we count Rover wedge 200s as hondas :Unknown: If so I had a 216 GTi with a Honda engine and gearbox, that was also a great car.

Neil likes this.
  4. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    1976 Civic, Brand New, WCW747R in Bright Yellow (a really smart colour, honest!). Traded in a Skoda. The invoice price was £1780.

In those days there were no discounts on Hondas because they were subject to a strict annual import quota and the dealers could sell all of the cars allowed into the country, so it was list price or nothing.

It was the year that my wife and I were married and we really loved the car. We traded it in in 1979 for another Civic, silver with a Black Vinyl roof (fashions eh!)

At that time I used to drive a number of other cars with my job and none of them compared to the Civic. A shame they rusted so quickly though.

The first Accord was a 1st Generation saloon in Pale Blue (very similar colour to my current Accord Tourer) - DDK178W. We had that car for 8 years and 90000 miles and it was completely reliable. The only issue was a cam problem that manifested itself at about 20k miles (almost a year out of warranty). However Honda acknowledged that there was a faulty batch of components and replaced it free of charge.

Last edited: Thursday 3rd Oct, 2013
  5. Iain Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

First Honda was a 1992 k plate Civic reg. No K985LHW 1.5 two door in silver. it was given to my by my gandad in 2003 with 36000 miles on the clock. It was my first proper car, I crashed it had it repaired then it was stolen and then it became 'unwell' so I traded it in for a 2001 Civic. It was a cracking little car took me and three lads to the Med for a couple of holidays. I am now on my fifth Honda. Love them.

Neil likes this.
  6. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    HUJ745N Honda C50 bike.
    I owned this bike for around 8 years , never put a spot of oil in it ( except for servicing) . It died of rust but never let me down once even though it lived outside and was never cleaned. I used to strip it down just before it's MOT each year , spray the frame, paint the wheels with aluminium paint and it passed every year!!
    Often the tester would comment on clean I kept the bike, if they had seen it a week earlier they wouldn't have believed it was the same bike.
    If it hadn't rusted away I may still have owned it as I used to love pottering about on it.

Neil likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2006 7th Generation Accord CL7 SE 2.0iVTEC saloon in Arctic Blue Pearl, NG06 VTD. Still see it running around occasionally actually. Wish I'd been sooner to Honda than at 29 years old. Really wanted the 6th Generation Accord 1.8 Sport I'd been looking at in my local dealer in 2001 but missed out on it. Was working abroad at the time as well so in a way it would have been a bit of a waste. Now on my 4th Accord. Also just bought a Honda Izy mower. My first Honda mower and probably the best mower I've ever owned.

Last edited: Friday 4th Oct, 2013
    Ichiban and Neil like this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brand new 5th Generation honda accord ..in a horrible green..but it was an era when Swindon made epic cars not like the brand new tins they produce today.

[video=youtube_share;maU9hOQlZ8U]http://youtu.be/maU9hOQlZ8U[/video]

[video=youtube_share;6XoWX55aLIs]http://youtu.be/6XoWX55aLIs[/video]

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I love it when Leslie say we have not been able to break the engine ..lol Germans you listening that is engineering there.

10. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My first Honda was a new Blackbird in 2004, still remember the Saturday morning I picked it up and rode home - took 20 minutes to get there and 4 hours to get home !

I had two MG ZS's, pretty much a Honda Civic, do they count ?

Neil likes this.
  11. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have never seen those video's before, really good they are.
    Gives me the inspiration to get mine sorted out, have some rust on the offside rear wheel arch and the usual car park dings which upset me no end.
    My Introduction into Honda's was through my late Father who purchased a brand new Triumph Acclaim which was a collaboration between Honda and British Leyland in the early 80's.
    It was very reliable but the bodywork was another matter, although my Father always kept his immaculate.
    Then he bought the Honda Civic Shuttle and the last car Honda he bought was the 2.2 Accord Tourer which I wanted to buy off him before he moved to Spain in 2000, but he took it with him and sold it in Spain which he admitted wasn't a good idea and wished he had sold it to me.
    Hence I have the Accord I have now but that took me 6 months to find, I bought it from a garage with 52K on the clock for £3295, unfortunately I don't expect it's worth £500 now.
    But I'm not bothered about that, it's one of the few Accords I can get into and drive because of my size, I'm 6'5" and a big bloke.
    The 6th, 7th and 8th Generation are all too small for me.
    I know the actual cars are about the same size but with all the stuff that cars have to have installed these days makes the interior smaller.
    The only changes I have made are fitting a K&N Airfilter and upgrading the headlight bulbs as the originals were rubbish, plus upgrade the stereo system in the car, head unit and speakers.
    I do like music, especially the all Ministry of Sound Stuff although I do get strange looks from the youngsters but they don't realise this type of music started years ago. :Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

I had to Google what a Blackbird was? a motorcycle, please forgive me....:lol:

As for the MG's not sure about that one but they do have a similar body shape.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Blackbird that is a bike what legends are made off.. its is a masterpiece I bet you are kicking yourself selling that awesome bike.

Back in the day it used to hold the record as the fastest production motorcycle.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Glad you enjoyed those video's Neil :Wink: Honda don't sell themselves like they ought to... that statement by David Leslie is weight in gold.

When I used to work of Honda in the late 90's that environment and time was so special as then I would have classed them as having a hyper obsessive compulsive engineering disorder. The things they did in technology, racing,innovations, words first etc etc was mind blowing but you had a enigmatic engineering chief Nobuhiko Kawamoto moulding the firm then into what it is today.

without his vision VTEC would have not been possible. Lastly he is one of the few Japanese to be awarded the KBE by the queen

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
    exec and Neil like this.
  14. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A 6th Generation Accord Saloon in Purple/Black back as a hand me down (at cost) from my brother who decided to move to warmer climes in BBQ land.

Neil likes this.
  15. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Now, I understand you worked for Honda and was able to develop the understanding for really liking these cars.
    I don't have that, I like well engineered cars but as with all manufacturers these days along with the pressures due to global warming from scientists and governments, cars are now so complicated that you need a computer to diagnose a problem far more than just having a listen.
    But I do like Honda's engineering brilliance, my late Sister who was a teaching head at a public school in Cambridge and went to an engineering expo and Assimo was there walking and looking around. She said it was fascinating to see it and the engineers were explaining to the kids how he moved and walked.
    She also said of all the car manufacturers who were invited Honda were the only one to turn up, it was all about showing 14yr olds the different engineering paths that are available.
    The one thing she noticed was the Honda engineers were more interested in talking to the kids because they may well one day become engineers themselves in the future.
    I'm an F1 nut and am really happy that Honda is coming back to Formula 1 with supplying Mclaren their engines and energy recovery systems in 2015 with a new 1.6L V6 turbo charged engine.
    Hopefully this will lead to more exciting engines for road cars.

16. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I sold it 5 years ago to fund buying a classic car, and have missed it every day......it was a well sorted bike, the fastest way to get from A to B I've ever ridden. It still stands up well against the current crop of bikes, including the replacement VFR 1200.

I'm selling the classic car in the spring and am already looking round at late second hand Blackbirds, I just can't see past them.

Ichiban likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    2 gen Civic Sport 1.3 litre twin carbed .. nippy little thing it was
    followed by 3rd Generation Accord 2.0 EX Auto
    followed by 3rd Generation Accord 2.0 16v EX by gum that was just a joy to drive

Then I had company cars for many years, lost my way a bit even after coming off company cars before finally coming back to a Honda Accord 2.4 Exec followed by my current Accord 2.4 Exec. So on my 6th consecutive year of Honda owners, only 2 more to beat my first record of 7 consecutive years.

Neil likes this.
  18. Boglost Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

CB72, CB500T(orange), CX500 (rebuilt from frame up), Vision, Lead 150 (both the wife's), Accord.

Last edited: Monday 18th Nov, 2013
    Neil likes this.
  19. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    2008 7th Generation accord I-CTDI. My current car.

Neil likes this.
  20. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

1988 3rd Generation bought in 1990 for £7400, sold in 2002 for £250. During twelve years of ownership, replaced the radiator, water pump & starter motor contacts. Nothing else went wrong. Then bought a Mazda 6. Nice car with mod cons but not as refined or as economical as the Honda, which was surprising for a modern smaller engine, fuel injected 5 speed, but I suppose it was set up with a sporty feel in mind. Currently driving a Legend (forget economy but refinement & performance in abundance) & it is great to be back behind the wheel of a Honda.

Neil likes this.