Off-Topic What would you buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jaytip, Sunday 11th Aug, 2013.

1. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you were after a full four seater convertable,what would you buy? I know that German cars are hated by most of the forum so what car would you get?

Regards,

Ivor.

2. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Hate is a strong word! What size rear seats? If you want decent rear seats then from experience the CLK is a lovely car.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would personally go for a Mazda RX-8. However if you have over 15k then VW Eos is also a decent shout (sorry German car haters).

4. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stu, i know it's a strong word,but unfortunately thats how a lot of members in this club feel.
    chunky, can you get an RX8 convertable? i've never seen one.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry you're right, I got the roof of MX-5 mixed up with the 4 seats in RX-8 :Blushing:

I am impartial towards german motors and I think that the 3 series BMW's look pretty good and go like stink too.

Or a Mini Convertible?

I think there are way too many choices, you need to narrow it down to certain brands or power requirements etc

EDIT: Completely forgot about the Lexus IS350, she is a thing of immense beauty :Smile:

Last edited: Monday 12th Aug, 2013
  6. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm talking about a convertable that will fit four adults in relative comfort.Other than a Volvo,i can't think of anything other than a German car ( which for the record, i like :Wink: )

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What exactly are you after jaytip.
    4 seater convertible or to stir things up a bit.Some people like german cars some don't, tough.
    I personally would have E class Mercedes convertible if I was after one.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think the Volvo C70 is a very nice looking car, although I like Volvos generally...must be an age thing!

Depending on budget there are a couple of French options (Megane CC and Peugeot 308CC). Ford also used to do a Focus CC. Sure Infinity did one too - G37?

Not a fan of VAG, but I think the Audi A4 convertible is pretty much the default choice in this category...along with the 3 series BMW, of course.

9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Don't do an RX8 chop, wouldn't touch one with a barge pole if they did..

CLK's are nice.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Had forgotten about these.^^

One of my neighbours has one, in white, with a red fabric roof. And very, VERY, nice it is too...

Of all the German marques, Mercedes is my clear favourite. There is just something "right" about them IMHO.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup have to agree with you I hate all german cars but sorry can't suggest a suitable car as i only look at Japanese manufacturers.

12. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Zoran, I'm not looking to stir things up, it is a genuine question. We have had a fantastic summer (so far) and the UK buy more convertible cars than anywhere else in Europe, and it got me wondering what I would buy if I were going to get one. For the record it would probably be an A5.
    Accept the question for what it is-just a question

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^The same neighbour who now has the E-Class previously had an A5...but only for a few months. He got rid as it was causing all sorts of issues (gearbox mainly as I remember). It was bought brand new too.

14. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm guessing it was an auto? VW group are having a lot of problems with the DSG 'box

15. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Buy German and they all have in built issues sorry with CJ on this one. Do Japanese do any decent rag tops ? MX5 is not a bad car but not a 4 seater so out of the running
    Audi A5 why in gods name would you..

Must have money to burn.

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Yes, it was an auto - I guess the same DSG box that blew up then seized after 40k miles in 30 months in my Tiguan.

You just know there is a big problem when the dealer tells you that he has 3 others on back order for cars with similar faults! And THAT'S why I don't have a VAG car anymore...

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would have recommended the S2000 but that a two seater and not ideal for Ivor needs. It can smoke Veedub to four sprung duck technique.

18. rotation Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No-one's mentioned the Opel Monza / Vauxhall Cascada - Every Time We Touch.
    Is it really awful, or is it a decent contender here?

19. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Primarycare, I have had a number of Audi's in the past with no issues so my trust in the brand has yet to be broken :Smile:

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It IS all based on personal experience, and most of what you hear on internet forums are horror stories. There will be many very satisfied customers for all brands. If you've had good experiences, then why change I guess...but my brother-in-law had lots of expensive issues with his A6 over 100k miles, including a new engine.

When he came to change, he looked around at lots of things (including an Accord) but chose to buy another A6 because he liked the interior, and because the Audi dealers had looked after him well with all the issues. They had charged him plenty though...:Aghast:

On the other hand, my sister got rid of her (troublesome) A4 Avant and went for a Subaru Legacy Outback. No issues in 5 years and very happy...but she does prefer the Audi A6 to drive.

Last edited: Tuesday 13th Aug, 2013