Aftermarket Kit What's the performance gain of remapping the I-DTEC

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by 4shm3x, Wednesday 23rd Jan, 2013.

1. 4shm3x Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey all, new here and looking at getting the 8th Generation I-DTEC.

Can anyone who has theirs mapped by celtic let me know of how the car feels after that and what sort of gains they have been getting?

Cheers

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There are some threads on this buddy - easiest thing is if you do a search against celtic, top right hand corner, they will all come up.

3. mcatchpole77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had mine done nearly a month ago and what a difference!! so much easier to drive effortless! and achieving average of 4-5mpg better than standard!

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 23rd Jan, 2013
  4. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Easy answer to this question....... Just do it!! I've had mine done for a couple of years now and it was worth every penny.

5. 4shm3x Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the response, i've done a bit of searching on the forum also.

I will definetly just get it done, will be the first thing to do when I get/find the right car :Smile:

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've seen some posts suggesting the extra power and torque can wear the clutch out faster, but don't have experience of this, just an observation.

Also consider just buying a more powerful diesel in the first place, might be more reliable and cheaper.

Also some DPF issues on the I-DTEC, if it doesnt get a long drive each week.

Primarycare and Ichiban like this.
  7. 4shm3x Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would be doing long drives in it weekly. Well 50 mile to work and back.
    The clutch does break down alot on the Civic ctdi's, which may have been apparent on the accord ctdis.

But again I-DTEC is a totally different world

8. twomeyn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Jay2512,
    what did u get done exactly,getting my DPF removed tomorrow and they offer a remap to increase HP and Torque as part of the price if I want it.their not pushing it on me ,very tempted...due u lose fuel infuciency or anything like that

9. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would have thought that with the DPF removed you would gain fuel efficiency.

10. twomeyn Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes u do,but then increasing the HP and torque u might lose that gain u made by getting DPF removed....I'm not sure ,was just throwing it out there.....so'd you'd recommend the extra HP from a remap anyway,what MPG's u getting?

11. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    I only had the re-map done, but if your removing the DPF then you may as well go and have the re-map done too! :Thumbup:

Taking out the DPF will give you a better MPG but also a little more on the engine output due to the restriction in the exhaust being removed.

twomeyn likes this.
  12. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    I only had the re-map done, but if your removing the DPF then you may as well go and have the re-map done too! :Thumbup:

Taking out the DPF will give you a better MPG but also a little more on the engine output due to the restriction in the exhaust being removed.[/QUOTE]

I thought DPF removal was not legal? if thats true and I would check that out if I were looking also if true doing that (DPF removal)surly it would invalidate your insurance?
    OK i suppose if you don't plan on an accident or happy to put it back for the MOT as wouldn't it fail emissions test?

Would a more powerful model not be cheaper in the long run.. ?

Last edited: Wednesday 27th Feb, 2013
  13. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    Legal....... no its not (well not in the eyes of an MOT test) however done correctly its almost impossible to tell the inner parts of the DPF were removed so both MOT & Insurance would never know (that doesn't make it ok though).

Indeed it would, hence I swapped mine out.

14. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Legal....... no its not (well not in the eyes of an MOT test) however done correctly its almost impossible to tell the inner parts of the DPF were removed so both MOT & Insurance would never know (that doesn't make it ok though).

Indeed it would, hence I swapped mine out.[/QUOTE]
    Kind if what i thought. I would not risk it personaly but to each their own and pray no one catches know i suppose

15. Naqluz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What about the automatic version? Can it handle the extra power?

16. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    My auto was fine following the remap.

17. Naqluz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great! How much power / torque it had after the remap? The most popular remap company here in the cold North suggests 184hp & 410nm with their software.

18. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    I used Celtic Tuning and had 221HP and a limited torque of 405NM to prolong the gear box.

In fairness the re-map made this car much better to drive and quick once up and going, you don't get much torque though as the auto gearbox eats most of this up with the torque converter constantly lifting the engine RPM above low torque levels. Once you get past 2800rpm the engine goes nuts and explodes into action but as said you don't feel the throw you back in your seat effect you get with most diesels - blame the 1995 auto gearbox for that.

19. Naqluz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh wow. And yes, the gearbox is not exactly what you would call up-to-date is it.. but from 1995? I assume that's the basic structure of the gearbox, hopefully they've at least updated it since haha. It's not a bad automatic box, I had a Hyundai Sonata diesel automatic couple years ago and that certainly was horrible.

Back on topic, I have to think about this, it's not exactly cheap to remap in Finland but could be worth it in the long run. Thanks so much for this information Jay.

Jay2512 likes this.
  20. Jay2512 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Walsall
    No problem at all.

With reference to 1995 - I used this a pure term to give other readers the prehistoric nature of this gear box.:Whistle: