Body, Paint & Styling Wheel Arch Rust

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Eande2, Thursday 14th Apr, 2016.

1. Eande2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just after a bit of advice on this corrosion on my rear wheel arches.
    FR-V is just under 8 years old with full Honda SH.
    Am I right to think that this is not surface corrosion? What's the best way to deal with it? (anyone with any experience whether Honda Uk would cover under their warranty)
    image.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    That looks like it is deeper than surface. Your owner's manual should say the corrosion warranty period if it is within or just outside that period it might be worth checking with dealership and kind of persuading them to see if they can speak to Honda UK about the case.

Usually dealership will ask you to book the car in for assessment and bring along all history.

3. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Unfortunately rust there is common :Frown:

4. Eande2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies - I think the surface rust warranty is 3yrs, but "structural" is ?8years - couldn't find it in the owners manual but will have to have a more thorough look later.

In terms of treating it is this likely to need new metal or sand back, treat and respray (?may just recur?).

Car is due for service soon anyway. Just wondering if I'm going to get Honda UK involved is it best to give them a (polite) call first? Any of with any experience of how they deal with these issues?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think your FR-V would have come with 6 years corrosion warranty but worth having a polite chat with HUK anyway.

legend-ary likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    :whathesaid:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Eande2 stress the point that your car has always been serviced by Honda, this gives you bonus points to barter with.

8. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I bet like any other dealer they don't do a thing..
    Why you ask?

Well when they service the car they should fill out the boxes further in the box to say they have checked for corrosion.
    I've never seen a dealer volunteer checking and signing the paper work even on one owner cars.
    The customer always has to almost force them to check it.

Without every period signed it voids all warranty.

9. Eande2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just looked out the service book.
    Structural corrosion warranty is 12 years including: Fender panels, Bonnet panel, Boot panel, Door panels, Floor panels, wheel house, roof panel, pillar panels, sills, side frames.

I think the rear wheel arches may fall into one of those categories, but warranty does not include corrosion that has progressed from an edge - not sure what this actually means - I think mine is coming through from inner to outer.

Rob, there is a box that says "corrosion inspection stamp date" but as you said it is not ticked...

10. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Exactly. It's how they get away without paying out.
    I remember hearing about it on the radio

11. yanw Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yan Gloucester
    Honda UK screwed my over and won't fix the windscreen rust defect as I don't have "6 ticks". Weasels.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They are following guidelines if people don't take their cars for annual rust check then they have an excuse.

13. M_zafar Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mobeen London
    Mine is a 2010 model and has rust on the wheel arch. Previous owner has done a spray job. Admittedly most the engine bolts are rusty too. Previous owner was in Cardiff so I wonder if that is related. Non of my other cars have been this rusty. Is the protection weak on these cars?

14. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Told ya, they deliberately don't tick the box.. It's for the customer to force them. Or find a friendly Honda dealer willing to back stamp :Wink: shhh

15. Eande2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Would/should this not be done whilst the car is in for its service?

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    At a Honda dealer yes, any other then you don't have any recourse.
    That rust on your car is not within the guidelines of 12 year anti corrosion warranty that is external damage, that far gone you would have warning signals three years ago.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    ...if not more warning than three years, thats been there for a while. Either way, plenty of time to notice

Ichiban likes this.
  18. Eande2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info. Just checking through my paperwork from the Honda dealer it says: 08/04/15 "carried out 12 month corrosion check". So at least I'm not the only one who missed it.

It's at the dealer tomorrow for service, will see what they say.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What about the prior stamps there has to be continuity as stated this was well before three years so the signs would have been there .

Have you ever taken a garden hose in that area to wash that area?

20. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    That rust has been there longer than a year. Unless the car has been neglected and parked in very damp and salty conditions.