Tyres & Wheels Wheel Bearing drone.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by gg8tcw, Sunday 14th Oct, 2012.

1. gg8tcw New Member Getting Started

Hi everyone.

My Accord is making a droning noise when driving,esp on the motorway. I think it's coming from the rear off side, but not too sure. If it is the wheel bearing, how much is this likely to cost and should I get all four corners done?

Car has done 120k miles

cheers

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi and welcome

The rear ones come as a unit which you can replace on the driveway without needing a press - have a look on ebay for them. No point replacing 4 if 3 are okay.

3. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Hi guys. Sadly, but my baby needs one wheel bearing to be replaced too. It's rear left one. Done inspection yesterday at Honda Bristol to make sure which one of rear ones is making the noise and to inspect front ones just in case. All other 3 are perfectly fine, apart from the one at rear left. Honda Bristol quoted me nearly £200 for a part itself & labour (around £130 just for a part, after I asked assistant to give me a separate price).

Any recommendations which wheel bearings are the best? Should I stick to Genuine Honda bearing? Maybe try to get any cheaper from HH? Should I buy any cheapest from eBay?

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I never changed them but i think CJ did not so long ago.
    He might be able to tell you best price etc.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The rear wheel bearing is integrated into the hub. But the hub is only held in by 4 bolts so is a relatively easy repair if you're confident of your abilities. Other people have changed them themselves on their driveway so it's definitely do-able. Personally I would buy a Honda one from HH, and fit it myself or pay someone to fit it.

Honda Bristol are only charging £70 to fit it which is less than an hours labour (dealers usually charge around £90 per hour) so that's pretty good, plus it shows how quick the job is to do.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys the rear bearing assembly is held by one center nut 32mm remove the notch on the nut and then remove it.The entire unit will come of the spindle. You have to remove all the disc and caliper to get to this stage first.

As best practice always replace this center nut don't reuse the old ones.

have a look at this http://hondakarma.com/posts/11926/

the wheel studs are on the new bearing assembly

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  7. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thank u guys. I'll call HH tomorrow to find out can they offer any cheaper than Honda Bristol. And.. I don't have the experience to do this job, but I do have a good local chap who repaires cars very well. So I'll go to his garage, which will be much cheaper than Honda dealer for £70.

But is it worth to look for any cheap bearing from eBay or car part shops? Or it's better to get a genuine one?

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    your car likes genuine parts. the saying goes, you get what you pay for in life.

9. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I own my car since the end of July, so didn't have any repairs yet. This wheel bearing will be 1st one. And I guess all cars loves genuine quality parts :OTT:

Just amm.. thinking - there's always alternatives available, made in Taiwan etc... maybe for a part as wheel bearing the make quality would be the same.. :Unknown:

10. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hmmm... :Unknown: Expensive anyway... HH got back to me with a price they can offer - £122.50 total incl. shipping. Comparing Honda Bristol quoted me a £113 + VAT they said (so around £135 incl. VAT in total for a bearing itself).

11. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

At Euro car parts found Lucas wheel bearing kit for £94.80. But don't know is that Lucas brand trustable... :Unknown: Does anyone got experience dealing with Lucas car parts?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    For another 1o extra you will get a genuine honda part from HH. the quality if a million time better.

13. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes, perhaps u r right! Do you know where Honda bearings are made? 100% made in Japan?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup they are made in Japan look at the machining it says it all, NTN is the bearing company.

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm a little confused, according to here the rear hub is held on by 4 bolts.

7th gen rear section.JPG

Are you thinking of the front hub with the central nut which tightens onto the driveshaft?

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Doc,

The Tourer and saloon have different set up bud , the tourer on a rear spindle and the saloon hub is held with four bolts

Tourer
    Rear tourer bearing repacement off the hub.JPG

Saloon

Saloon 7th gen rear hub.JPG

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Top tip After replacement of the faulty wheel bearing get the wheel alignment checked as it will change after the bearing is replaced.

18. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Ok cool. I didn't realise they were different or the OP had a tourer. :Thumbup:

19. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's pretty hard to find decent garage for wheel aligment. Had a bad experience in local garages previously with Mitsubishi Galant. Idiots didnt secure the steering wheel before doing alignment, so had to come back asking to get my steering wheel in horizontal position. So they "fixed" their own error, and it still wasnt straight! Lol
    Plus they've done front wheel alignment, but were unable to align rear wheels, due to some special mitsubishi bolts, what they didnt have.

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It was just to state the two options :Wink: and to cater both.