Tyres & Wheels Wheels 'n' tyres.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by David Jackson, Tuesday 6th Mar, 2012.

1. David Jackson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My 07 saloon has the standard 16's, but going on experience and the tyre tread depth, I would say the tyres will probably be lunched by the next MOT in Dec.

I was thinking about getting a set of the 17 inch Penta alloys, or something similar when it comes round to changing the tyres. They will be an extra £30 a corner for tyres.

Will they mess up the ride? Do I need to mess with the suspension? Are the Pentas particularly prone to pitting?

Anyone got any advice?

Kindest regards to y'all, David

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi David,

My take on the Pentas is they are popular with a lot of Accord owners due to it sporty appearance, however that where the sporty similarities end. It party down to the design of this alloy the spokes are beefy to retain structural strength making them heavy alloys I mean really heavy. They may look sporty but they are not the expensive Magnesium alloy you would associate with that design.

Due to this challenge of making a sporty alloy and to take all the abuse of normal road use a lot of tyres particularly do not work well with these alloys. They are only few handful tyres which work well with the pentas like Michelin Yokohama and Bridgestone. If you select heavier tyres with these alloys they will give you the following.

Torque steery feeling on hard acceleration.
    Tramlining on hard braking.
    Tramlining on adverse camber roads for example on the near side lane on the motorways where articulated lorries have made a rut in the tarmac.
    They are Prone to knock out the wheel alignment due to this excessive weight.
    Longevity issue with corrosion and chipping.

If you think 17 inch tyres are only 30 quid more dearer than your current tyres then you will be selecting a tyre by price and not tyre by performance . In that scenario stay well clear of this alloy and choose another Honda or aftermarket alloy.

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had the Penta's and put Flaken FK452's on them. Never had any issues with tramlining or handling and really rated the tyres. CJ is right though, if you choose the wrong tyre with Penta's they really tramline!

4. rmoconnor41 New Member Getting Started

Hi,
    I am new to the Forum and have a 2.0 Accord Tourer with 17 inch alloys. It has Bridgestone tyres. It really tramlines badly under all the conditions IchibanAccord mentions in his reply.

It will shortly need new front tyres (and rears later on this year). I was offered Pirelli (as the premium brand) and Kumho (as the mid price). Any advice on tyre replacement? It was also suggested I try a nitrogen fill.

Thanks

5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No issues with Kumho (although never used them on the 17's). I currently have Kumho on my 16's and my wife had then on past cars and never had a problem with them. we had the Kumho Ecsta Sports.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Best tyres i had were Michelin pilot sport 3,really good tyre.

7. rmoconnor41 New Member Getting Started

We have another Accord with 16 inch wheels. It runs really smoothly irrespective of what tyres it has.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you have tramlining with Bridgestone you need to get the car on a hunter four wheel alignment machine, and also get the wheels balanced . If any wheel takes more than 50 grams of weight it is two possibilities your tyres not sitting corrected on the rim or the rim is well past it usable life.

As for Nitrogen the air you and I breath is made up of 78% Nitrogen so why waste money .

9. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    I,ve been running Kumho Ecsta Sport on my 17,s and have been very happy with them, wearing well and fairly quiet, suit me as i only do about 6,000 miles a year. Not bad for a mid range Tyre.

10. rmoconnor41 New Member Getting Started

IA,

thanks for the advice on the tyres. It is a massively reliable car that jumps around and tramlines. As an aside, when i bought the car (2nd hand from Honda) they had (according to my local tyre supplier) overinflated the tyres. I noticed it 5 minutes after collecting the car, on a wet roundabout. After that i always found the car a bit twitchy. As I mentioned the wife's auto tourer on 16 inch wheels is a real pussycat. After the roundabout incident I also had it tracked and balanced. If I replace the tyres how do I know that the tyres are sitting corrected on the rim or the rim is past it's usable life? 04 plate 59K.
    Thanks
    Richard

11. David Jackson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban - thianks for your input on this - you clearly know a lot about this topic.

They were offering this nitrogen service years ago, on the premise that there would be no oxygen in the tyres, therefore no corrosion could occour within the rim. Frankly, I believe it is pseudo science, and not worth bothering with either.
    Do you reccomend a brand of wheel? I have always rather liked OZ myself...

12. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The claimed benefit of nitrogen is that there's no moisture in the gas, thus this prevents corrosion.
    The other benefit is that nitrogen molecules are larger than oxygen molecules. This means there should be less leakage through the tyre walls.
    The problem with nitrogen filled tyres is that when you do top up, you need to use nitrogen to keep the above benefits.

13. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Sorry guys - Nitrogen filled tyres are only useful if you are running you car so hard that the tyres regularly reach temperatures that would cause moisture within the tyre to turn into a gas... Where the transformation of water from liquid into gas results in an increases in the tyre pressure...

I have only ever heard of this occuring in hardcore racing - LM/GT/F1... So for use on the road - unless it is being given away totally for free, I can't see it being anything other than a marketing gimmic.

Nitrogen filled to prevent corrosion? Really?

Doc and Ichiban like this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oz are fantastic wheels , but for daily ride Honda genuine alloys are the one to go for, you have a large list of alloys to chose from and they work on our UK roads.

Unlike German car manufacturers where they blame our roads for alloys on their car to fail.