General When did the Accord 2008 launch in the UK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RGN01, Saturday 28th Jul, 2012.

1. RGN01 New Member Getting Started

Hi all, this is my first post here so please be gentle!

I want to buy an Accord Tourer but want the 2008 model onwards to benefit from the 5-star NCAP rating (a recent accident in another make of car demonstrated the value of the 5-star so this is non-negotiable to my wife!)

I'm battling to understand:
    - from when the 2008 model was available in the UK?
    - how to tell it apart from the earlier models?

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Richard

2. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Welcome to AOC!

IIRC, the 8th generation went on sale mid 2008. There will be some 08 plates around, so say 58 to be sure.

If you're after the diesel, the magic word to look for is I-DTEC, the 7th Generation (03-08) diesel was called I-CTDI.

7th Generation:
    Note the headlamp shape. Also note the flat/vertical tailgate.

02062012664-small. Untitled-1 copy.

8th Generation:
    Note the obvious diagonal on the headlamps and the rounded/sloping tailgate

car_photo_467572. 321_1. 800px-Honda_Accord_Tourer_VIII_rear.JPG

Last edited: Saturday 28th Jul, 2012
    Ichiban likes this.
  3. RGN01 New Member Getting Started

Nevyn, thank you very much for the reply!

I hadn't noticed the headlight difference but it is so obvious now you have drawn my attention to it!

I haven't decided yet whether to go for petrol or diesel - this will be our second car (the first is an aging Toyota Yaris Verso for town use) so it will be used mainly for longer runs but with a low annual mileage so I guess it won't matter too much which I get.

I hope I can find one within budget!

Thanks again.

Richard

4. Nevyn Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No probs. The back end differences are obvious, but I thought it was worth pointing out the headlight in case that's the only view shown in an advert...

It's probably worth going for petrol if your annual mileage/usage is low. You need to be doing a decent mileage for the economy to counteract the higher purchase and fuel prices. Also, modern diesels with diesel particulate filters (DPF) don't take too kindly to lots of short journeys.

Good luck in your search