Engine & Gearbox When the clutch goes

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Ben28, Monday 5th Sep, 2016.

1. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    Would the clutch bite higher as it wears out like other cars I've driven or would it just stop engaging fully, at the usual height?

I'm just wondering what characteristics to expect
    Cheers
    Ben

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Which engine?

The diesel has a self-adjusting pressure plate, so the bite point remains constant. Not sure about the lesser engines.

4. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah mine's a diesel. That's what I thought, so the first sign would be actual slippage rather than increased pedal travel?
    Cheers

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes. But slippage can often recover as the self-adjuster mechanism ratchets-up, sometimes after several days of slippage, and resets the clamping pressure. Over the years mine has recovered from two extended periods of slipping and is now fine... Still on the original clutch at 171k miles.

Auto Ali likes this.
  6. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Haha awesome! Good to know.
    I guess the only way to find out if 'got any more left to go' is to actually look at the clutch friction material?
    Mines at 113k, still on original AFAIK.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Well it isn't easy to look at! Apparently the friction material on the driven plate doesn't wear much, it's the loss of clamping pressure as the pressure plate springing assembly wears that causes the slipping.

8. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

:Ermm: oh.. Is that something which is replaced as part of a 'clutch change'? This would likely be at my local garage rather than a Honda dealer.

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes, the usual clutch components of plate, cover and bearing would be replaced. Additionally the flywheel is a 'dual mass' type that can wear and is expensive to replace... The wear in the DMF sprung mechanism can be assessed when the clutch is removed (from memory the free play has to be less than 36mm) and a decision made about replacement.

A special tool is required to ensure that the pressure plate tension is correctly maintained during installation, but this isn't exclusive to a Honda dealer.

Auto Ali and SpeedyGee like this.
  10. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info :Smile: