Detailing When to clay bar a brand new car?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Sunday 8th Jun, 2014.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I just watched a young lad clay bar his week old fiesta ST, surely that is not something you should be doing to a new car?
  2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Depends I guess. If it had been sitting around somewhere in a field/car park for a few weeks prior to delivery, any amount of rubbish could be on the paint. I tend to do mine as soon as I get them, whether brand new or nearly new.

I've seen people say that you shouldn't let a garage clean a new car (I won't let the MINI dealer clean my Cooper at all), and that you should get it home and clay etc. straight away - as at least then you know how it has been done, and that it has been done properly.

A few years ago I went to the launch of the new Alfa Spider at the local dealer. They had a black one in the middle of the showroom, brand new and unregistered, and if you got the light right, the amount of swirls/scratches made it look as though it had been cleaned with a brillo pad! I guess a lot of people just don't notice that sort of thing...:Unknown:
  3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Good point, I thought it was a bad idea but when you put it like that.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I can't see that it would hurt, especially if done carefully. It shouldn't take long either.
    If you go over it now, you will know every inch of the bodywork.
    It can then be sealed with the products you prefer.

When I've taken new cars for service, (whilst under warranty), to main dealers, They go in clean.
    I then stress that she is NOT to be cleaned in any way whatsoever, even for free.
    They do look at me as if I'm barking mad, but I don't want the paintwork touched.

Call me overprotective, but no one at a dealership etc will be as careful as I am with my cars.
    Duc de Pommfrit and FirstHonda like this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^That's exactly what I do with the MINI. Detailing World have posters that you can download and put onto the dashboard when you leave the car (DO NOT CLEAN THIS CAR!!), just as a further reminder...:Smile:

Have to say, I do let the Honda dealer clean the Accord though - as it is an everyday car, I accept that the paintwork isn't perfect, and they seem to do a pretty sound job.
    Nels likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Ha ,ha. I thought it was just me :OTT:

I like the idea of the dashboard poster.
    Both of our cars are everyday, but darker colours, (mine dark blue and the boss's black), and show every mark.

With hindsight, silver like yours would have been more sensible.
    FirstHonda likes this.
  7. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

do not wash car.

Here you go Nels.I have one in my car all the time.
  8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I detailed/clayed my CR-V a day after I got it from HH.

HH respected my wishes for them NOT to touch the interior/exterior - There was some contamination to be fair. A new car has lots of imperfections, as I discovered. That said - in the year I have had the CR-V, I have only clayed it twice/three times maybe. :Niceone:
    FirstHonda likes this.
  9. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Think I have learnt something today :Whiteflag:
    FirstHonda likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The day I got my Accord it had all the protecting coating and even seat covers just told HH to deliver it like that! They just PDI'D it for me and handed the keys to me. IIRC beefy PDI my car . Every time my car goes in for a service at HH they know not to touch it.
    FirstHonda likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^IMHO silver is a great colour if you don't want to worry too much about swirls etc...white too.

Thinking about it, my last few "everyday" cars have pretty much all been..silver!

Honda Accord - Alabaster silver
    VW Tiguan - silver
    Renault Scenic - silver
    VW Polo - silver
    VW Polo - solid red (but only had it a few months!)
    Hyundai Accent - silver
    Daihatsu Charade - ICE blue metallic (almost silver, but I didn't know any better back in 1993!!)

There's a theme...:Fear:
  12. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've never heard of clay barring before? So I went on to youtube to find out what it's all about (as we do) and you know what; that is one job I will stay away from thanks. A lot of graft for little gain I reckon.
    I defy anyone to notice surface contaminates at 40mph! Maybe Just maybe, If I owned a concourse classic / vintage beauty that was being entered into shows, I would seriously consider paying someone to do it for me. :Hooray:
    PeteMM likes this.
  13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's actually quite easy @steve4536.
    It leaves the paintwork very smooth such that when you've waxed it the colour shines through.
    Additionally, the mud & dirt are easier to rinse off from sealed, smooth paintwork.
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. Irishgooner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kell Ireland
    Is it to late to clay a car if it has numerous coats of wax on it .. Car was polished when bought waxed , waxed, and waxed again oh and a small bit more of wax etc lol !!!!
  15. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Ha ha - depends how much you like waxing! Clay it and start all over again...:OTT:
  16. Irishgooner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kell Ireland
    Will it lift previous layers of wax I thought I seen somewhere it doesn't. ??
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've always believed that using clay will remove everything, but looking around on the web there are some different views.

Majority are that it removes all previous treatments though, and that is what an answer on the Megs forum says. Whenever I clay, I always assume everything has gone, and I start again.
  18. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Wash it with fairy liquid, clay with a detailer spray or diluted fairy liquid spray and it will remove everything right back to just the paint.

If you want to make a proper job of it, that is just what needs done. Then build up your layers of sealant, polish and wax again until you get the desired result.

The best bet IMO is handing it over to a detailer for machine polishing then simply keep topping up on the flawless finish those guys can achieve, much less labour intensive for you and normally a much better finish can be achieved. Also look into what different waxes and polishes provide in terms of protection and finish.

As much as certain people on here HATE my concoction, I can guarantee it works. AG Super Resin and AG Liquid Hard Wax 50/50 mixed - apply to the car straight after a wash, the super resin fills most light marks, but has enough cut to remove any other marks with a little elbow grease whilst the Liquid Hard Wax makes it all very slick and shiney and ultimately very very easy to apply and remove.

Then just top up with your desired waxes
    Irishgooner likes this.
  19. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Claying a new car is perfectly fine and even easier with a clay mitt, well lubricated of course but only do this after you have detarred, deironed the car first to remove any imbedded contamination from the elements then follow up with clay to remove surface bonded contaminents. This then is great prep ready for machine polishing or hand polishing then follow up with a sealant or wax finish to protect