Electrical & Lights Where to hard wire in dash cam?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Paulcornwall, Thursday 5th Feb, 2015.

1. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Penzance
    I wanna install my dash cam and sat nav. Always prefer to hard wire them in but can't see any obvious access to the wiring loom or back of cig lighter....anyone?

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Nels and DeviateDefiant like this.
  3. Paulcornwall Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Penzance
    ok thanks for the tutorial. Where is the fuse box in the frx and are the fuses the standard type or mini?

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Where you wire it in depends on how confident you are with car electrics. I personally wired mine straight into the 12v circuit of the auxillary power socket. All wires and connections are hidden underneath trim so there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of the install. I personally don't like the fuse box extenders. Just make sure that you drop the voltage correctly for the webcam to avoid blowing it up.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The reason I like them is because the add-a-circuits are non evasive and safe because they protect your original electrics and camera with a secondary fuse. Its hidden, there's usually little need to remove any trim and if you use a power magic pro you will also have a third fuse to protect the camera and your car battery will also be protected from draining should you want to run the camera when the engine is off.

Last edited: Saturday 7th Feb, 2015