Autocar Where's Mazda in the car making hierarchy?

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autocar, Tuesday 29th Jan, 2013.

1. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

It wants to emulate Volkswagen, but perhaps Mazda is more like Honda used to be I spent the weekend testing the new Mazda 6, which as our road test concluded is a deeply impressive car, especially when you get down to the nitty-gritty of comparing CO2 emissions and standard kit. Company car drivers with a penchant for ticking spec boxes are, you suspect, going to like the prospect of keeping their P11D payments down while still driving a top-notch car.
    Intriguingly, the souls at Mazda reckon this gives them as much chance of stealing sales from the premium manufacturers such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes as it does their more mass market rivals such as Ford and Vauxhall. So much so that, internally, they are trying to position their mindset (if not, they concede, sales volumes) at the level of the mighty Volkswagen.
    Their logic is that the raft of technology on the Mazda 6 – from the SkyActiv package of efficiency gains and emissions and weight savings, through to the clever but lumpily named i-Eloop kinetic energy recovery system (start-stop with a twist) - sets them apart from their opposition. Here is the evidence, they argue, that they are not a car company that just follows the crowd; by daring to be different, they are hopeful of daring intelligent car buyers to consider stepping aside from the mainstream, up or down the premium ladder.
    I’ve always been a fan of Mazda for this very reason: for a small car company, it has consistently punched above its weight. Separated from the Ford empire a few years ago, it could have sunk. Instead, it has re-focused on its engineering led mindset, coming up with clever, profitable technology that can underpin all of its cars. But for the relatively poor interior and one or two other niggles, the 6 really would be up there fighting on equal terms with some of the class best.
    So while I admire the boldness of trying to move in with VW in the sub-premium sector, I’d pin Mazda more as moving in to the territory once occupied by Honda – and consider that to be a very good place to be.
    But with so much of a car company’s position being the result of perceived thinking, it’s no good taking my opinion for it. I’d be delighted to read your thoughts on where Mazda sits in the car making hierarchy.

mazda-6-8_0.

More...

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mazda will never be a Honda,they are poles apart :Tea: don't judge history by one car ..:Angry:

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mazda's are a joke.

I wouldn't even compare a Kia with them. In fact, I'd have a Kia, any Kia, over a Mazda any day of the week. And as for these car mags that do these review, they are hardly an impartial source either. Toilet paper has more value since you can use it to wipe filth away. You can't use these mags for anything except burning.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    wait for the 9th Generation that will shut up the critics one and for all.It will be epic.