General which accord to buy

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by martinsayer81, Tuesday 3rd Jul, 2012.

1. martinsayer81 New Member Getting Started

hi guys, this is my first thread,

i need your advice on which accord to buy,
    i currently own a 2003 astra 2.0l turbo, and I've got to the point of hating it now, i'm now 30 years old and want a bit more luxury and reliabilty!
    i want a car thats quick-ish, but don't cost the earth to run, i like the look of the Type-S petrol, but noticed the diesel gives better performance and MPG, but i don't do anywhere near the mileage to warrent buying a diesel,
    i drive about 30 miles a day, and then the odd 200mile weekend away when the weather is nice (quite rare)

i guess what im asking is which engine and spec do you guys prefer?

also, does the Type-S only come in auto? because thats all i can see on autotrader!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello and Welcome to AOC Martin :Hey:

I am biased toward petrol cars I do approx 14000 miles a year and most of the time is spent filling my car up with fuel. I don't have any unwanted, unexpected weirdness or a simple breakdown. Petrol you will never be tinkering under the bonnet chasing your tail with DTC's and numerous fuel and emission related issues on the Diesel.

Petrol are reliable period.
    Diesel be prepared to roll up selves and prayer you were the chosen one.:Innocent:

Have a good look in the 7th and the 8th Generation section to see the problems and fixes and decide for yourself. At the end of the day if filling up is going to hurt you... then never loot at the petrol car.

3. martinsayer81 New Member Getting Started

ko​
    Thanks, I'm definately going for the petrol, which one do you have?
    Is it worth getting the 2.4l?
    What are your thoughts on the Type-S, and Type-R?

Thanks for your responses

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi martin,

I have a 1.6 Accord 1977 , had a 2.0 petrol 2004 Accord and currently have two 2.4 Tourer 2007 and 2012.

Clear to see which is the winner. Test drive both 2.0 and 2.4 and see what suits your driving style and bring you the biggest grin.

Type-S are expensive to insure when compared to a EX . Type-R different league to an Accord massive amount of fun and will bring you immense pleasure if you want the speed bug.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Welcome along.

Usually the main deciding factor is mileage. At 14k a year your just about on the cusp of moving into diesel territory. A lot of the known diesel faults, especially on the 7th Generation, are covered by extended warranties but you will need to take the times/mileages of these into consideration when making a purchase. But they are still far more reliable than VAG diesels.

As said the petrols are bullet proof but a heavy right foot will have you filling up regularly. Especially with an Type-S and a lot of VTEC.

If you're looking at s types then you're already leaning towards performance more than economy so I'd say go with petrol.

6. martinsayer81 New Member Getting Started

Ok I'm going to test drive a couple soon as I can.

Just one last question!

What would you class as high mileage for a petrol accord? How many miles is the engine good for?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If it a high mileage Petrol Accord make sure the clutch, suspension and aircon are sound. Engine mileage is not an issue provided the oil changes are regular.

A Honda petrol engine can do a Million miles it proven fact.:Wink:

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hi and welcome to AOC

You will find all your Honda Woes solved here :Smile:
    I have a Diesel and have had diesels for years now, I would say though that petrol would be the path for you, don't wonder to the Dark side, if your mileage picks up you can always make the change but for now sounds like you have it sussed..

If it were me I wouldn't hesitate to look at petrol Honda's with 100k plus so long as they have the correct history I can't see you going far wrong.
    2.4 is a great car, mine is the Exec so has Leather and Sun roof and most of the toys you would want. Loads of cars out there, if you look at any in northants message me and I will come along if you like. Buyers market pal..

Good luck and let us know how you get on..

9. martinsayer81 New Member Getting Started

Cheers for all the great info and advice guys, really appreciate it.

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Make sure that whatever you go for it has a good service history, especially if you go for a higher mileage one.