Suspension, Steering and Brakes Which brake discs and pads

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by k24, Monday 2nd May, 2016.

1. k24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks, looking to change my front discs and pad and the price of genuine ones is pretty steep. I don't want cheap discs and pads but good quality ones and was wondering what you guys have used or will I be safer sticking to genuine ones

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

k24 likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Personally I have used ferodos for years. Very good quality indeed and cheaper than OEM too. If you can't get ferodos, then brembos are good too.

k24 likes this.
  4. k24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any views on blueprint discs and pads? They state there oe quality

5. Nighthawk Guest

Avoid like the plague

Nels and chris2982 like this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Really? Here I was imagining that they are best of the rest as they sit halfway between eBay specials and OEM parts.

Hmm.... Well that puts a spanner into the budget I was accumulating for my suspension fix.

7. Nighthawk Guest

I've done brakes on a car where blueprint pads have crumbled away and become detached from their metal backing.

Maybe it was a bad batch but you only need one failure at the wrong time

MickyB likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

9. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    MTEC in Derry do a seriously good deal for a set of their discs and Mintex pads

Think the whole lot for mine was £170 delivered

Should be the same for yours as I believe they are the same brakes all round.

However, don;t expect them to be any good if you're in the mood for a bit of staging on the way home, 3 or 4 corners and they go soft and gooey, but more than adequate for daily driving at normal pace.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Same happened to me during a spirited drive many moons ago with some EBC yellow stuff pads

Still to this day if I am aware of a car having any EBC products on or in it, I will refrain from being anywhere near it
    - - - Updated - - -

i would avoid the drilled and grooved if you like your brakes to be quiet

Mine sound like a wheel bearing is about to fall out, real deep whirring noise, but alas, it doesn't bother me much anyway

Nighthawk and k24 like this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

@k24 - If I could ask you to do one thing - please do not buy from ebay. So many dodgy copies of copies on there that its really hit and miss what you are getting. With something as important as brakes, its not worth the risk. It cost me exactly £127.14 in 2010 for Ferodo brake pads and discs for my Accord from a reputable dealer. 6 years later, she is only on her second set of pads and the discs, 50,000 miles later, are only just starting to show a minor lip being developed. They still bite hard which for a heavy nosed diesel, is good.

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Simply not driving hard enough there dude :Tongue:

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

I baby my Accord - Il admit that but I get my car thrills elsewhere so I don't need to drive my car hard.

MickyB and Nels like this.
  13. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi.
    I have used APEC pads and disks before on a Merc A class and a heavy Renault Laguna without any problems.
    John

14. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just got Brembo front discs and pads for the Accord for £80 from euro car parts with there bank holiday discount code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickyB likes this.
  15. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bought pagid discs and pads from ecp, no complaints.

16. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't go cheap aftermarket with pads, they end up knocking every time you brake. I'm going to replace mine with new OEM ones. Buy cheap and you end up buying twice.

17. k24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers for the advice guys