General Which brake pads?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chunkylover53, Saturday 21st Dec, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So I managed to pick up some ridiculously cheap brake discs for front and rear from a Honda dealer (I'm certain they're genuine) for just under £90 for all 4 discs. Now initially I was going to buy some genuine pads from HH and get them all fitted. However I ventured into the performance car parts section of CP4L and found EBC's offering of blackstuff and greenstuff. Simply put the greestuff reviews seem to be not so good for road cars but blackstuff is apparently better than OE from other brands. But they aren't Honda so obviously worse anyway.

Anyway shall I go for

1. Honda genuine
    2. EBC Blackstuff
    3. EBC Greenstuff

Cheers

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    £90 for 4 discs is an insanely good price, could you PM the details to me? Mine are currently non-genuine (sat on the car since I brought it), they're just starting to lip.

I asked this question about 6 months ago when I was trying to figure out what to do, I ended up going for genuine at the time as I needed a quick fix and couldn't take a gamble. From my research, the Green's don't have great stopping power overall but bite straight from cold, fair amount of dust. The Yellow's have better stopping power but give off a sh*t load of dust. The Red's are the best performers, but not great until they've warmed up, nearly no dust whatsoever. I was under the impression that blacks (Ultimax?) were their cheap budget range.

Depending on the price of OEM vs. Aftermarket, I might try EBC discs and yellow pads next. Of course, I've also been tempted to uprate and go for Acura TL-S callipers.

3. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Options 2 and 3 are simply a no-go for me personally

You would be better off with Ferodo or Mintex run of the mill motorfactor parts.

Personally I run Mintex 1144 in the front and standard Mintex pads in the rear - I am yet to run out of brakes even on a highly spirited cross country run with a lot of left foot braking.

I have explained my thoughts on EBC pads elsewhere on here, so I won't go back down that route.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In that case it looks like I will end up going for genuine. I knew they would be great, I just thought about upgrading seeing as I drive like a yob sometimes. Just a heads up, EBC discs are very, very expensive when compared to Honda's RRP for brake discs (at least for 6th Generation).

- - - Updated - - -

I'll take a look at your posts and see if I can find it. By the looks of it, I'll end up going for genuine parts anyway. That said are there any other performance brands that would perform better than genuine parts?

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Ferodo DS2500 and Mintex 1144 are the only pads I will ever run on a road car - reliable, safe and no excessive dust - all things that cannot be said for EBC

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My dad had a bad experience with Mintex pads so that's a no. Ferodo lists the following as the only pads available for my 6th Generation:
    FDB1439
    FDB1506

Therefore I will go for genuine pads, hopefully I can pick some up off ebay over Christmas on the cheap.

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I would say you're pretty spot on with the description of the EBC range. However I would see no need to run the Yellows on a road car. I've had Reds on a car before and got the front discs close to glowing and still didn't get brake fade out of them. The only time they did fade was when they were wearing down and the lack of pad thickness couldn't dissipate the heat quick enough.

Ultimax (Black) pads are basically designed as direct replacements for OEM pads.

I don't understand why people moan about brake dust, just because it means they have to do a bit of work and clean it off. When you have 2 surfaces rubbing against each other one of them has to wear down. If a brake pad is very hard and doesn't produce dust then it's going to be very abrasive and wear the disc down quickly. If the pad is softer the pad wears instead of the disc, also the pad has a fresher/ newer contact surface which in my opinion can only aid braking. I'd rather sacrifice my pad than my disc, because if you sacrifice the disc it's more prone to warping which will only reduce braking performance.

For £90 I'd stick with the OEM discs. You can't do much better than that!!

DeviateDefiant and AndyB1976 like this.
  8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Already bought both sets of OEM discs, I was just wondering whether I can achieve greater braking performance with better pads :Hey:

EDIT: Just checked - EBC only make black and green pads for my car so red is out of the equation already.

Last edited: Saturday 21st Dec, 2013
  9. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

if you are worried about braking performance it may be better to watch whats in front of you m8 :Happy::Happy:

- - - Updated - - -

braking is the last thing I worry about when I am driving :Happy::Whistle:

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wise words. Reason I'm changing my brakes is after a girl decided to drive into the roundabout despite me being on the right and near the exit. Try driving in a student area on a daily basis and you'll use the emergency brakes loads :Angry:

At the end of the day I'm an inexperienced driver who will make mistakes, the best way to avoid any repercussions is to stop in time. Plus the way I see it, I've already got excellent discs, might as well get the best pads within my price range too.

11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    No offence to any accord but it's unlikely you would need the Reds they simply don't have the horse power to justify needing them. The bite on them from cold is poor, poorer than OEM pads. To get them to work you have to get them hot which normal, or even hard driving, would struggle to achieve with the limited performance of the accord. Unless you're running over 200 HP or driving a heavy car you're not going to get the prolonged repeated frictional force to generate the heat. So if you do anything like motor way driving where you occasionally touch the brakes they're always going to be cold.

On a previous car of mine running 220 HP and 4 WD I warped a set of 3 month old Mintex discs through overheating them. They were returned back to Mintex by my menchanic as a suspected manufacturing fault. Mintex duly x-ray'd the discs and deemed they reached over 800 degrees, which would have meant the discs were glowing under braking. Unsurprisingly I didn't get the warranty claim but I had a good laugh when my mechanic told me how hot I'd got them. Anyway, I then moved to EBC drilled and grooved discs with Green pads. The Greens used to start to fade around 600 degrees, which happened a few times. During the summer when there's lots of grip on the roads I could get the brakes hotter so I'd use Reds to stop the occasional brake fade. But during the winter when the roads were wet with little grip I used Greens as the Reds never got up to temperature to be effective and have good bite.

The Yellows seem like more of an all round pad, a mix of the Greens and Reds, but if you're not going to get the excessive heat build up then you might as well stick with Greens.

I get the impression with EBC pads that some people put Reds or Yellow pads on their car to try and get bragging rites when really they would be much better off with Greens.

Greens will give better bite from cold than the Ultimax, so I'd go with them, and I very much doubt you'd overheat them causing brake fade as you won't be doing any engine braking in your automatic.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  12. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

if you are doing the right speed for the road and conditions you should be able to stop for anything that comes your way :Wink:

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agreed, also I highly doubt I'll use my brakes as thoroughly as you have :Wink:

Now with this I'm stuck between greens and genuine pads. All I want is the shortest stopping distance from cold. I couldn't care less about dust, bragging rights (I drive an Accord 1.8, your avg student drives a 1 ltr Corsa. THAT'S my bragging rights) or early wear and tear seeing as I don't do a lot of miles anyway.

Last edited: Sunday 22nd Dec, 2013
  14. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well any pads will do if used correctly :Happy:

15. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I cannot say I've been doing the right speed in quite a few instances - but in my example, I was barely doing 20 and she just decided to pop out.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would go OEM, overhaul the brakes all round, do a brake fluid flush and watch her stop like shes just rolled out the factory !

Ichiban likes this.
  17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agree on this.
    Last year CJ changed discs and pads plus flushed brake fluid on my car and they been fantastic.

Ichiban likes this.
  18. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

OK just called HH and ordered both sets of pads and 3 bottles of fluid for just under £90. With the discs coming in at another £90 I'm looking at around £230 with labour for a full brake overhaul with genuine parts. Seems like an excellent price right?

SpeedyGee and DeviateDefiant like this.
  19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That is a great price all in, congrats mate.

20. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mechanic has started to replace them and so far I'm glad I did judging by the state of the pads and discs

Attached Files: