FR-V Which Diesel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bones126, Tuesday 15th Sep, 2015.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I know BP Ultimate Petrol does not contain ethanol which is supposed to be better for the engine, but does anyone know the differences and benefits between using BP Ultimate Diesel and Shell V Power Nitro +?
    Both seem to claim a centane rating of 55, but BP claim this is the minimum figure, Shell info on centane rating is eluding me :-/

Which is best for the engine, cleaner emissions, protection etc

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've been running 'our other car' on VPN diesel as I cannot get BP Ultimate diesel locally. I do not know how the two premium fuels compare, but the VPN-D has a much better pick-up pre turbo kick-in and is delivering 5-10 MPG improvement to standard diesel.

It would be good to know if anyone can answer this for us.

Bones126 likes this.
  3. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    BP has a really good PDF info sheet, Shell just say it's good on their web site as far as I can see with no figures or data.
    Hopefully someone can search better than me lol

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    BP ultimate is generally considered to have a consistently higher cetane rating. Shell VPD uses gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology, which gives a more consistent product at a molecular level, so is apparently cleaner and better burning.

FirstHonda, Nels and Bones126 like this.
  5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks @Zebster , Nice a simply put :Thumbup: Just what I like :Grin:

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I prefer Shell VPD. Nothing technical but having filled up with BP ultimate regularly my first tank of VPD seemed to make the car quieter.

Bones126 likes this.
  7. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Anny Accrington
    Off topic but I'm having a small issue with my 06 honda FR-V 2.2cdti sports every time I slow down at a junction the car wants to stall? But if I press the clutch down the revs come back up to 1000rpm and all is fine it's been doing it.on and off for the past few days car starts 1st time drives fine good.clutch flywheel and turbo? It's done 160k miles FSH ex rbs fleet car please help many thanks in advance

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    When pressing the accelerator pedal do revs respond straight away ?

9. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    The only things I can think of is that either the fuel filter needs replacing or the clutch is dragging.
    Does the clutch feel as though it drags a bit when coming to a stop?

10. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Anny Accrington
    To be honest clutch has a good strong biting point but it does slip at high speeds and I think you might be right about the clutch dragging how can I check?

11. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Back to the orginal title, i have used both and I would say from experience Shell seems to suit the ICTDI better or it could be just me imagining it but it does seem to run better on Shell.

dbrooks65 and Nighthawk like this.
  12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I suppose the only way is to fully depress the clutch and with the hand brake on, slowly raise the clutch pedal and see if the engine revs immediately drop. If you have to raise the clutch pedal a way before that happens I would say it's not slipping, if the revs are low and drop as soon as you lift the pedal I would say it is dragging.
    - - - Updated - - -
    If I'm honest, i would tend to agree with this.

13. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I've always used either BP or Shell, and I have to also say, the Accord is much happier on Shell. I get higher fuel consumption on BP and less performance

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Was at the Londis store outside of Morpeth tonight (@Ichiban will know it as the former H & G Robinson (Gosforth) Ltd Grandstand Garage Fairmoor)

I've never used Jet fuel for years but noticed this as I walked across the forecourt.

JET – On the journey together » Our Fuels

Sentinel diesel. Anyone used it yet?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Been using BP Ultimate/regular for the last 3 months.

Think I might get better MPG on BP Regular but the weather is cooling off in the mornings so the pre-heater may be skewing the figures a bit.

Was gonna try Shell again next but might give this Sentinel a try.

Nels, FirstHonda and Ichiban like this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've not seen or used this either. It would be good to hear from anyone that has.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The Ford has gone as I put too many miles on it in a short period so they have given me a new car!! The Vauxhall Insipid has come to haunt me again!!

I digress I put 3700 miles in 25 days in the Ford and I used all sort of diesel BP,Shell, Tesco, Morrison, Texaco basically anything I could get my hands on.. What I found no matter what diesel you used the MPG was the same however it was worst on the Morrison diesel, its that bad it made the car more thirty for some reason so never filled up with Morrison's again.

In my opinion all diesel are the same they offer no difference whatsoever it a dirty fuel , dirty car full of crap. That my scientific testing for you.

jimjams likes this.
  17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Stop hating and start loving. You'll soon be one of us...

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Never!! sodding thing!

19. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You'll be wanting the Ford back now they've given you a Vauxhall....

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't wait to order my Honda and get back to what I like,