Off-Topic Which football team / fantasy football

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 27th Apr, 2014.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

There have been a few football related threads, but I wondered which team everybody supported and why, if not your "local."

I'm a lifelong Watford fan - my local team growing up, and still my local team now, excepting MK Dons who are now marginally closer. My first match was in the 1976/77 season (a 0-1 loss to Torquay United, all I can remember is the rain, the cold and being VERY bored aged 5!!!). But what a great time to start supporting a small provincial club with no achievements to speak of - the year before Graham Taylor took over.

I've seen us go all the way up, and back down, and back up...an FA Cup Final, FA Cup and League Cup semi-finals, three play-off finals - a win at the old Wembley against Bolton in 1998, another win at the Millennium Stadium in 2006 against Leeds United, then the loss at the new Wembley against Crystal Palace last year, which really was an...:Epic Fail:

I also have to express an interest in the "mighty" Grecians, Exeter City - three years at university there, and I ended up watching them when I couldn't get back to see Watford. Another "glamour" choice...!!

Was also wondering whether anybody plays "fantasy football?" I play the official (and free!) Premier League version - with very limited success I have to add! If anybody on here is interested I could set up a league on there for members to join for a bit of fun next season...:Smile:

2. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I play the sun's dream team every year, like yourself with limited success, I'd be up for joining a league for a bit of fun :Thumbup:

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I used to play sun dream team for few years but then gave up.I am useless in picking good team or i needed more money to spend :Unknown:.
    I have been Newcastle fan since i can remember.Love Newcastle even though lately they are not good for my blood pressure.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My early years were spent growing up in Hartlepool and as they had the record for the most times re-elected to the football league they weren't a very good prospect!!, The problem I the North East at that time was territorial you never supported a team outside your home town so the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesborough were a no no....
    So at the tender age of 11 along with four friends who all played for the local boys club team we used to play a friendly fixture with Pudsey boys club, and on our first visit to them the after match entertainment so to speak was Leeds United v Manchester United.
    This brings back great memories for me this was Elland Road in the late sixties early seventies and I was about 3' nothing in my socks and was struggling to see the game so I scrambled up onto one of the concrete support blocks for one of the floodlights after a couple of minutes I heard this gruff Yorkshire voice say ey up lad you can't stand on there and without looking I replied but I can't see anything mister turning to see a rather large policeman red faced I said sorry I'll get down,one minute he said your only a little un aren't you come here,to which he got me onto his shoulders and stood proud for the best part of the match allowing me to see everything.
    I remember the game ending in a two two draw but I will always remember the friendly copper....
    It was then that we realised that Yorkshire people were very friendly none of this you are a monkey hanger you are not wanted here sort of thing so we started to follow the mighty whites.
    In those days entry to games was like 2&6pence so we all saved our pennies got paper rounds gave up boozing women fags and sweets and followed them where ever we could.
    That was 46 years ago and I have followed Leeds since. Good times and bad.
    I've tried the dream team a couple of times, one year I was actually placed 2nd in the weekly scores oh I thought this is looking good only to see that the guy who came first and won the weekly prize was something like 130 points ahead of me. I think I ended the season around 528th???

6. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Well I've just joined the league, so who on here will be the runner-up behind me? :taunt:

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Only the two of us currently in the league, so if anybody else is interested drop me a pm...

...otherwise it's looking like the season is just going to be between Arsenal and the other North London giant - the real derby game!

Spurs? Never heard of them...:BooYeah:

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just sent you a PM

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

If nobody else joins at least we'll all be in the Champions League places...:lol:

MickyB and Phil1978 like this.
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Leeds united haven't been there for a while:Hooray:

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Not since Norman 'bites yer legs' Hunter.:gotcha:

MickyB likes this.
  12. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Didn't they change their name to Dirty Leeds for a while back then :Wink:

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm in just registered and joined the league.... Let battle commence:HobbyHorse:

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Interested. Will have a look when I get back home.

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

PM firstHonda for the code to join the league and join in. The more the merrier.

FirstHonda likes this.
  16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes indeed, just drop me a pm and I'll provide the code :Thumbup:

17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I picked my team in line with similar games where you have 50k to spend then realised you had 100k and had to pick 15 players....but got there in the end