General Which generation of CR-V and why?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FirstHonda, Sunday 13th Dec, 2015.

?

Which is your favourite generation of CR-V?

Poll closed Sunday 6th Mar, 2016.
  1. First Generation

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Second Generation

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Third Generation

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  4. Fourth Generation (Current)

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Much as I love my fourth generation (pre-facelift) CR-V, I can't help but feel that the styling is a bit bland, inside and out.

So, it started me thinking about the previous generations of this iconic Honda.

For me, it is a close run thing between the original first generation - which has a functional simplicity to its design - and the third generation.

I'm going to go with the third generation as my favourite - just. Why?

Especially in pre-facelift form, with the single chrome bar and large Honda badge on the grille, and the 5 spoke wheels, the design just looks (to me at least) to be beautifully coherent. The interior too has some nice touches that give it personality, from the handbrake lever to the door pulls.

No doubt that the fourth generation is a better car all round - time moves on and Honda have evolved the concept - but for me the third generation just looks nicer and more individual.

What do others think?

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    3rd Generation without DPF for me. Likewise I'm sure the 4th is more advanced etc but I prefer the styling of the 3rd, although ideally with the 4th Generation front and 3rd Generation rear lol

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Having owned a 3rd and currently owning a 4th Generation CR-V (and tow a caravan with both) I have to say the 3rd Generation has it. For me, the 4th Generation has lost its individuality and in 2015 guise could very well be mistaken for a Kia or hyundai. The 3rd Generation was a more practical suv with more chubby holes for storage and an air of robustness about it. The 4th Generation has had all the rough edges taken off but lost some of the "muscle" . Don't get me wrong the 4th Generation is a very capable suv but lacks the confidence to shout "let's tackle this" that the 3rd Generation had. For me when driving the 3rd Generation it was a case of it will! but the softer 4th Generation is more of a case of will it? Invariably it does but you are not left with same air of achievement as you have with the 3rd Generation.

FirstHonda likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:bump:

Looks like a landslide for the 3rd generation...unless any other members or owners want to get involved?

:hurryup:

5. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got to go with the 3rd generation for all the reasons as above. Mine is the basic model , no sat nav, no rear cameras, no trixi gadgets to mess around with, no leather seats, (i would have liked those really)...
    Best of all, i bought this for the auto transmission and it still amazes me how good it is. Great motor and can't find anything bad to say about it. :Hey:

FirstHonda likes this.
  6. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Gen 3 here too but Im biased as its my first CR-V

7. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    Well I suppose somebody has to try and disagree, if just to keep this conversation more balanced

When I bought mine back in 2013 I sat in nearly all of the used CR-V's in the dealers outside lot, mostly 2010, 2011 and 2012 models, from basic up to EX, manual and auto. I wasn't that keen on the front end looks, nor the lumps on the front and rear bumpers and sill trim. What I did like was the way the seats could be folded, into almost a bed if needed. The 2013 model has that silly seat collapsing mechanism which I am not that keen on. And I also liked the higher ground clearance.

Then I sat in a 2013 model. It just felt so much more.....something....that the older ones didn't have. Could have been seating position, showroom lights, new car smell, leg room, head room, I don't know. It just felt right. So I bought one. And don't regret it one little bit.

So really what I am saying is that the 2013 model is better because it feels better to be in. So there:eek:

Phil

steve4536 and FirstHonda like this.
  8. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    For me its original is best. Also I suppose jealousey. I couldn't imagine spending more than a few hundred on a car let alone a few thousand.
    Was all lined up to buy a second gen executive with only 60k on the clock if mine failed its MOT, but as it passed didn't need to. My local friendly dealer told me Honda made a big mistake with this vehicle, they just last too long! My only regret is mine has the early engine and could do with the extra 20bhp or so they tweeked out of the 1999 on engine. I'm not too keen on the shape of the second gen ( sorry owners ) and not really looked at the 3rd and 4th Generation as well beyond my reach. Anyway is it a CR-V without a rear mounted spare!

FirstHonda and legend-ary like this.