General Which is your petrol of choice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by accordsedan, Saturday 18th Feb, 2012.

Which fuel do you prefer?

1. Shell V-Power

4 vote(s)
  2. BP Ultimate

3 vote(s)
  3. Tesco Momentum99

1 vote(s)
  4. Standard Unleaded

5 vote(s)
  1. accordsedan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was interested in which petrol other drivers favour?

Shell V-Power
    BP Ultimate
    Tesco Momentumn 99

or just standard octane unleaded? Does anyone feel certain petrols have a difference to power or efficiency in their accord. Or are certain petrols "better" for your car?

I sometimes think I get more miles when using momentum 99, but i haven't gone to the bother to actually scientifically test it.
  2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just normal for the wifes Focus ST. Got to try and slow her down!
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I did some research on this topic Shell V power is 5% ethanol based and BP Ultimate is totally 100% petroleum based. On in the South west of England BP ultimate petrol has 5% of ethanol.
    Zebster likes this.
  4. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I have been using V-power for few years now
    Somebody told me that is good for my car,been using it ever since.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Filled up at Sheffield yesterday and VPP was 1.49.9 at this rate 2 pounds a liter will be reality soon.:Angry:
  6. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I filled at Solihull today VPP 148.9£ for litre.
  7. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I feel for you petrol guys genuinely. I begrudge paying for diesel and get 45-50mpg.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TBH I have started meeting less clients and started to use Vedio conferencing the days of meeting people face to face are getting numbered.

limiting my mileage for leisure and private use is one way of limiting the expense.
  9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

We do loads of video conferencing at work and it really does help with saving time and fuel costs.
  10. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I don't use my car for work,i had it for 6 months now and only done 3000 miles since i bought it.
    I have diesel van for work for which company pays.
  11. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Company van eyy... :Whistle: some people get all the breaks..:Tongue: well think for me will have to get my bike out and start biking..just waiting for the summer to :Aghast:
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bumping this thread.. E10 petrol is here you need to know which fuels to use and what options you have.
  13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Not seen in Belgium yet. But I would not be afraid at all to fill her up with E10. Do think MPG will drop a few % as there's less energy contained in 1 liter compared to 'normal' petrol.
    All depends on the price. If it's cheaper, I put it in. If there's something I don't believe, than it's 'bad petrol' in Belgium. I do follow consumer tests on cars and petrol since ages, and in the 80's there was a noticable difference in fuel quality, but this difference (between big brands and cheap supermarket brands) is completely gone now. In Belgium you can fill up where ever and whatever you want: all meet the minimum required specifications. We use cheap E95 petrol of a local supplier since approx. 10 years (cars and motorcycle). All fine, never any issue. Before 10 years I filled up with Texaco.
    I do need to fill up sometimes also with other brands when far from home, even the more expensive ones (Total, Shell....). Not the slightest difference noticeable, apart from the price!
  14. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    Do you have any more information about this?

Other articles on the internet suggest that it can damage older (classic) vehicles. Presume all recent Hondas can use the stuff without issue?
    The great E10 debate | Autocar
  15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    If your Honda has pgm-FI (fuel injection) and is from somewhere half 90's: all fine.
    It's like leaded and unleaded petrol in the 80's: older cars couldn't stand it either.
  16. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

17. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I use vmax or optima just depends of what I find when needed.
    Power gains IMO will only improve on carb'd donks, my little single loves vmax giving approx 5% power increase....
    Only had 48hp from the factory.
    As for this E10 rubbish I wouldn't touch it.
    If it all goes pearshapped it'll bring the term Caveat Emptor to the forecort no doubt.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Old thread resurrection time...:Smile:
    Nighthawk and exec like this.
  19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I use BP ultimate most of the times, but not performance advantages, seeing as it has none from above video lol, but it's got no ethanol in it and it has extra additives that should help keep an old engine like mine in better order.

I tried Vpower once and the engine just ran really rough, most likely because its not programmed to use a high RON fuel like that.
    jazzway likes this.
  20. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
    I use standard unleaded.
    If I wanted more power I'd buy a faster car.
    I don't care much for the 'muck' in fuel as there's probably just as much in premium fuel.

The only time I'd use a premium fuel is if I was to buy a performance car that's been mapped on it
    exec likes this.